What do you think of Kindles?

Posted 12th Jun 2020
Do you use one or have you used one? Is it worth getting one? it is as good as reading an actual book?
Community Updates
Ask
21 Comments
I have been using a Paperwhite for the last 3 years. Does it give the same pleasure as reading a paper book? No; but I think you will find the answer a bit different from the younger generation who have grown up with screens. But I used to travel a lot for work and carrying it was far more convenient than carrying a heavy book. I still get books from my local library (hopefully, they reopen next week) but I read these at home while the Kindle is stocked up with all the free stuff
Worth - Yes, one time investment and you Can carry 100s of books. Saves on space and visits to library.

We have paperwhite but my wife still prefers her books over reading on screen.
My Daughter loves books over reading on screen too, mums influence. They both are library regulars.
Don’t ask me how much I have spent on books since this covid 19 lockdown.

In my case I travel for work so find it easier option.
Edited by: "RealOldMonk" 12th Jun
I love mine.
As others say 100’s of books in a small light device and the battery lasts months.

I also find them really easy to read with. That may sound like a stupid comment, but I’ve tried reading on an iPad and I really struggled and it made my eyes ache quickly - not the case with a kindle as they have completely different screens.

Why not have a look for a cheap on on FB marketplace and see how you get on with it?

There are also free books posted on here regularly which is a good way to try out different authors and genres.
Edited by: "paul1005" 12th Jun
Kindles are a nasty walled garden setup where they won't read eBooks from most shops and many library services, only DRM free and Amazon ones.

eReaders in general are good though, I haven't book a paper book in years.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 12th Jun
I like ereaders in general, kindles less so.
EndlessWaves12/06/2020 18:35

Kindles are a nasty walled garden setup where they won't read eBooks from …Kindles are a nasty walled garden setup where they won't read eBooks from most shops and many library services, only DRM free and Amazon ones.eReaders in general are good though, I haven't book a paper book in years.

Just use Calibre to remove DRM and convert
EndlessWaves12/06/2020 18:35

Kindles are a nasty walled garden setup where they won't read eBooks from …Kindles are a nasty walled garden setup where they won't read eBooks from most shops and many library services, only DRM free and Amazon ones.eReaders in general are good though, I haven't book a paper book in years.

Which ereaders are good?
I bought a standard Kindle (not the Paperwhite) just before lockdown, and I like it a lot more than I thought I would. I love “real” books too, but for some genres like SciFi there are a lot more Kindle books available, and they’re often lower priced. Plus you have all the classics available for free. I’ve tried reading on an iPad, but find e-ink much easier on the eyes.

I’d have a look at what kind of ebooks you want to read and where they are available - that might determine whether a Kindle is right for you or you’d be better with a Kobo etc. From what I understand, you can get UK library books on a Kobo, but not a standard or Paperwhite Kindle.
Edited by: "MondayMonday" 12th Jun
RealOldMonk12/06/2020 18:27

Worth - Yes, one time investment and you Can carry 100s of books. Saves …Worth - Yes, one time investment and you Can carry 100s of books. Saves on space and visits to library.We have paperwhite but my wife still prefers her books over reading on screen.My Daughter loves books over reading on screen too, mums influence. They both are library regulars. Don’t ask me how much I have spent on books since this covid 19 lockdown. In my case I travel for work so find it easier option.

Do you subscribe for the amazon book service?
paulj4812/06/2020 18:51

That is what I do. Calibre is great for anyone with books in multiple formats.
Kindles are good but not robust enough in my opinion.

I have a Kindle Voyage just over 2 years old bought from Amazon directly with 2 year warranty and it’s now a paperweight and Amazon wouldn’t help a bit despite me spending a fortune on books on top of the £160 I paid for the Kindle...

Sorry rant over not happy at the moment...
Denney_Masters12/06/2020 19:08

Do you subscribe for the amazon book service?

I have amazon prime so get free book a month and good deals on some and extra free books quite a lot
Edited by: "RealOldMonk" 12th Jun
The Kobo Clara HD looks good
With how often books go on sale/free with amazon prime to me they are worth every penny
Can you use non-Kindles with the kindle store?
mccririck13/06/2020 10:39

Can you use non-Kindles with the kindle store?

If you mean e-reader then without something like Calibre, no. But you can use tablets and web browsers.

I've had my Paperwhite for years, and as much as I like paper books, sometimes the Kindle is just so much easier - both in size and weight. Particularly as when I commute, I have an hour on the bus each way.

However, I also use a Fire HD 10 for reading stuff, but that's because I have a lot graphic novels which work so much better on the colour/bigger screen.
I am not a fan of any reader, when reading for pleasure. I prefer reading a physical book and enjoy the feeling of turning a page physically.
paulj4812/06/2020 18:51

How and please explain further
mccririck13/06/2020 13:16

Google: …Google: https://www.google.com/search?q=calibre+remove+drm+kindle&oq=alibre+remove+drm&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l4.7508j1j4&client=ms-android-xiaomi-rev1&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Have you used it?

Dumb question, if I use it on a Google Play Book. Will the output be PDF OR EPUB?
THANKS
MarioMan13/06/2020 14:52

Have you used it? Dumb question, if I use it on a Google Play Book. Will …Have you used it? Dumb question, if I use it on a Google Play Book. Will the output be PDF OR EPUB? THANKS

Calibre (with plugins) allows you to create various different formats depending on what you want - Not sure what you mean by using Google Play Book? If you mean the books app, then not sure. But there are plenty of apps for tablets and phones to read the files, or applications on Linux/Windoze/Mac.
Post a comment
@
    Text