What do you think of the latest Royal Mail delivery van?

Found 25th Aug 2017
Arrival has developed nine electric vans for Royal Mail. It joins 100 electric vans Royal Mail has also ordered from Peugeot too.

topgear.com/car…est

2773507-4spIR.jpg

The one above is the smallest, at around three and a half tonnes, though other designs weigh in at six and seven and a half tonnes. Each is built from ultra-lightweight composite materials, along with Arrival’s own hardware (motors, electronics etc), and all have been fine-tuned for inner-cities.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Reminds me of Postman Pat.
36 Comments
Just looks like a bus to me!
Reminds me of Postman Pat.
love it. can i buy one? without royal mail branding of course.
Ultra lightweight materials but still weighs 3.5 tons for what is in effect a cut down road sweeper without the water ? Doesnt really tie up.
I think a scarab or tuktuk thing would look nice, good its electric tho
Is it giant or are the wheels tiny?
Banned
Looks awesome just a shame that instead of investing profits to pay for it they will just increase the cost of stamps. Virgin media all over really.
I normally see a lot of ex post vans about used by builders and stuff, so i guess this thing wont really have much of a resale market.
joey13521 h, 32 m ago

Ultra lightweight materials but still weighs 3.5 tons for what is in …Ultra lightweight materials but still weighs 3.5 tons for what is in effect a cut down road sweeper without the water ? Doesnt really tie up.

Batteries, they are heavy still.
I just think - I've paid for that thing. They have more than doubled the parcel prices in the 6 years I've been selling.
splatsplatsplat4 m ago

I just think - I've paid for that thing. They have more than doubled the …I just think - I've paid for that thing. They have more than doubled the parcel prices in the 6 years I've been selling.

And they screwed over the staff. Google Angard Staffing, totally dodgy lot.
Graham19791 h, 19 m ago

Looks awesome just a shame that instead of investing profits to pay for it …Looks awesome just a shame that instead of investing profits to pay for it they will just increase the cost of stamps. Virgin media all over really.

Royal Mail make a loss on letters (so we have been told atleast as employees) and stamps are some of the cheapest in Europe.
joey13521 h, 58 m ago

Ultra lightweight materials but still weighs 3.5 tons for what is in …Ultra lightweight materials but still weighs 3.5 tons for what is in effect a cut down road sweeper without the water ? Doesnt really tie up.

May very well be an ignorant mistake made by reporter, the weights quoted may be the payloads. 3.5 tonnes is the heaviest payload van you can drive with standard UK licence. The other payload is 7.5 tonnes.
Error44018 m ago

And they screwed over the staff. Google Angard Staffing, totally dodgy lot.

Angard are owned and ran by Reed, these are temp positions and Reed take a chunk of their salary, nothing to do with Royal Mail employees. Though look forward to strikes as though Royal Mail has made record profits they are trying to cut T&C's for all employees before the current agreement has even ended.
Edited by: "catbeans" 25th Aug 2017
CoeK29 m ago

Batteries, they are heavy still.

The heaviest tesla model x only comes to around 2.5 tons, which is the 4x4 model. Maybe its difficult to get a feel for height and width due to the lack of comparator within the image but still seems exceedingly heavy.
splender5 m ago

May very well be an ignorant mistake made by reporter, the weights quoted …May very well be an ignorant mistake made by reporter, the weights quoted may be the payloads. 3.5 tonnes is the heaviest payload van you can drive with standard UK licence. The other payload is 7.5 tonnes.

That would make sense then
joey13522 m ago

The heaviest tesla model x only comes to around 2.5 tons, which is the 4x4 …The heaviest tesla model x only comes to around 2.5 tons, which is the 4x4 model. Maybe its difficult to get a feel for height and width due to the lack of comparator within the image but still seems exceedingly heavy.

I would assume this has to go a larger distance, it also needs to be able to haul things around so the engine will be designed a bit differently too.

I am only guessing though and it is hard to judge the size of it.
catbeans6 m ago

Angard are owned and ran by Reed, these are temp positions and Reed take a …Angard are owned and ran by Reed, these are temp positions and Reed take a chunk of their salary, nothing to do with Royal Mail employees. Though look forward to strikes as though Royal Mail has made record profits they are trying to cut T&C's for all employees before the current agreement has even ended.

Only because they have outsourced a lot of the workforce to zero hour agency workers, thats Royal Mail now going down hill.
Error4404 m ago

Only because they have outsourced a lot of the workforce to zero hour …Only because they have outsourced a lot of the workforce to zero hour agency workers, thats Royal Mail now going down hill.

Royal Mail regularly hires perminent employees, Angard are temps, temps shouldnt expect much from Royal Mail tbh, they should apply through Royal Mail or accept what they are.

royalmailgroup.com/car…ail
catbeans38 m ago

Royal Mail regularly hires perminent employees, Angard are temps, temps …Royal Mail regularly hires perminent employees, Angard are temps, temps shouldnt expect much from Royal Mail tbh, they should apply through Royal Mail or accept what they are.http://www.royalmailgroup.com/careers/royal-mail

So your alright jack then until your job gets sourced out to temps
Error44038 m ago

Ever the optimist.
If I had the money, I'd buy it and daily it. Looks pretty sweet.
CouldntThinkOfAUsername16 m ago

If I had the money, I'd buy it and daily it. Looks pretty sweet.

Is that slang for something, does it even have an exhaust pipe
Error44045 m ago

Is that slang for something, does it even have an exhaust pipe

Daily is a term used in the car enthusiast area, meaning it'd be your daily car like a 520d where as you'd have another car for weekends like a Ferrari.
Error4404 h, 9 m ago

They do hire temps for my job, every Christmas
catbeans43 m ago

They do hire temps for my job, every Christmas

You should start protesting. Or maybe just have a moan at your boss. That's the best course of action.
Looks nice but is the post going to be even slower now ?
ssc19 h, 13 m ago

love it. can i buy one? without royal mail branding of course.

Get in touch...

[ arrival.com ]

(Scroll to the bottom of the home page)
CoeK1 h, 52 m ago

You should start protesting. Or maybe just have a moan at your boss. …You should start protesting. Or maybe just have a moan at your boss. That's the best course of action.

Royal Mail is very busy at Xmas there is plenty of overtime and the temps are needed so it's fine, lots of Xmas cards and letters to santa to deliver .
dealtime1 h, 22 m ago

Looks nice but is the post going to be even slower now ?

Electric vehicles aren't really slow.
Perfect for "Post Person Pat", let be gender natural for those politically correct types.
I fixed it with the Photoshops

31799751-x5flh.jpg
splatsplatsplat12 h, 37 m ago

I just think - I've paid for that thing. They have more than doubled the …I just think - I've paid for that thing. They have more than doubled the parcel prices in the 6 years I've been selling.

1st class letter @ £0.65 is an amazing price for an amazing service.
Yeah brilliant, it jumped 14p in 2012 so only a few more years before it is £1 to send a piece of paper. I was sending parcels at £1.33, now £2.90 2nd class.

Meanwhile, Mr China is selling the same item (parcel size) for 99p, free p&p, 5,000 miles away. And Mr UK Postie is taking that item when it arrives and delivers it but isn't charging £2.90 to do so.
They've copied Postman Pat's design.
splatsplatsplat23 h, 47 m ago

Yeah brilliant, it jumped 14p in 2012 so only a few more years before it …Yeah brilliant, it jumped 14p in 2012 so only a few more years before it is £1 to send a piece of paper. I was sending parcels at £1.33, now £2.90 2nd class. Meanwhile, Mr China is selling the same item (parcel size) for 99p, free p&p, 5,000 miles away. And Mr UK Postie is taking that item when it arrives and delivers it but isn't charging £2.90 to do so.

China post is state owned, none of that excuse of shareholders and needing to invest so its fine to charge ever higher prices while at the same time outsourcing your staff to dodgy agencies who break employment laws (not that i expect they have any in China tho).

english.chinapost.com.cn/htm…htm
Nice aerodynamics!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants