What do you think of when I say

Found 13th Jul
Hi guys, random question but a friend setting up a disability charity and wanted to call it "implicit reality". What comes to your mind when one says implicit reality?

I though assumed reality.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Implicit Reality sounds like some sci-fi thing. Certainly not a Charity IMHO
19 Comments
I wanted to start a window cleaning business and call it.. smashing windows.. Everyone thought it was silly. I still think it was a name people would remember. I've already forgotten your friends suggestion. So not sure about it myself. But what do I know. I'd just go with it, hope it all works out.
Edited by: "wayners" 13th Jul
The charity should reflect the disability/disorder it is seeking to fundraise for, else it’s more difficult for donors to understand what they are supporting.

Eg
cancer research - I know I am supporting research into cancer

The Order of the Azure Rose - WTF is that?

Cancer research would get some money the other wouldn’t because I would assume it’s some kind of scam/dodgy/fake thing as I can’t relate to it.

Implicit = absolute
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 13th Jul
I think putting the name of the cause is quite important, so if it's for cancer, it'd have cancer in the title etc.

As @wayners said, that name is not easy to remember and as @cmdr_elito said, it's not relatable and simple to understand. Maybe if you told us more about the charity, some talented HUKD'ers could come up with suggestions?
Edited by: "jamie015" 13th Jul
What comes to mind is - what the hell does that mean.

Why not just TRUTH
or
JUST TRUTH
I didn’t even know what it meant.
If you want people to donate money, your friend needs to think of a really simple name that incorporates the cause you’re promoting.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 13th Jul
Hi guys, thanks to those who offered actual advice.

I totally get what your saying and will feedback. The charity will not be looking at raising funds etc but to focus on people in the community with all different types of disabilities. Talking about the individuals journey, hurdles faced and advice they would give others in similar position.

Discussions around implicit bias, accessibility and inspiring others.

Hope that helps.
Implicit Reality sounds like some sci-fi thing. Certainly not a Charity IMHO
To me it sounds like term the science/engineering community would use, or perhaps a philosopher. It reminds me of the Philip K. Dick line, "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".

What would I imagine a charity called implicit reality did? Initial impressions would be to hook up to similar phrases that are current buzzwords. Virtual reality springs to mind, so a charity offering VR experiences to the housebound or VR games to children.

If I though about it a bit more (a big if) I'd realise that those didn't fit with the term implicit and go onto thinking about maybe something to do with people with perceptual abnormalities and changes. Maybe something to do with drugs, a support group for hallucinogens, maybe a campaign group trying to change the root causes of addiction.

Il'll probably work after you've had a chance to explain, but it triggers the wrong initial impression.

Making it plural would probably help, 'realities' can often refer to peoples lives. Implicit still has no strong associations though. What are these realities implicit in, and why is there implicitness important?

Assumed reality triggers stronger VR associations, so I don't think that works.

What do you want the name to communicate? Perhaps come up with a brief 2-4 word description of the purpose and either use that or find something that means the same but sounds cooler. 'Sharing lives' perhaps?
wayners2 h, 18 m ago

I wanted to start a window cleaning business and call it.. smashing …I wanted to start a window cleaning business and call it.. smashing windows.. Everyone thought it was silly. I still think it was a name people would remember. I've already forgotten your friends suggestion. So not sure about it myself. But what do I know. I'd just go with it, hope it all works out.

Smashing windows would be a great name as its relatable and easy to remember. You could even have business cards in the shape of broken glass

Sorry I've forgotten what the charity name was already. Not a great start I'd say
Edited by: "darlodge" 13th Jul
EndlessWaves1 h, 5 m ago

To me it sounds like term the science/engineering community would use, or …To me it sounds like term the science/engineering community would use, or perhaps a philosopher. It reminds me of the Philip K. Dick line, "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away". What would I imagine a charity called implicit reality did? Initial impressions would be to hook up to similar phrases that are current buzzwords. Virtual reality springs to mind, so a charity offering VR experiences to the housebound or VR games to children. If I though about it a bit more (a big if) I'd realise that those didn't fit with the term implicit and go onto thinking about maybe something to do with people with perceptual abnormalities and changes. Maybe something to do with drugs, a support group for hallucinogens, maybe a campaign group trying to change the root causes of addiction.Il'll probably work after you've had a chance to explain, but it triggers the wrong initial impression. Making it plural would probably help, 'realities' can often refer to peoples lives. Implicit still has no strong associations though. What are these realities implicit in, and why is there implicitness important? Assumed reality triggers stronger VR associations, so I don't think that works.What do you want the name to communicate? Perhaps come up with a brief 2-4 word description of the purpose and either use that or find something that means the same but sounds cooler. 'Sharing lives' perhaps?

Thanks Endless Wave, will telll him to think ofsomething else..
waqas2 h, 42 m ago

...The charity will not be looking at raising funds etc but to focus on …...The charity will not be looking at raising funds etc but to focus on people in the community with all different types of disabilities. Talking about the individuals journey, hurdles faced and advice they would give others in similar position.Discussions around implicit bias, accessibility and inspiring others.Hope that helps.

Do not use "implicit bias" to describe anything. Using words/phrases that people will struggle to understand either the meaning or context will just alienate community members. Use well-known or easy-to-understand phrases/wording.

I was going to suggest "Mind over matter" as a name for the charity, but I see that has already been used:

[ totalgiving.co.uk/cha…ity ]

A variation of this could still be possible if the local community's name or their physical geographical location is included within the charity name, though.

I would go for a name that describes the charity's goal, their vision, or their objectives, & that promotes the clear intention.

There is no point making a hurdle for charity workers to overcome before they engage others in conversation.
Implicit reality sounds to me like a 'pop-art drama group', certainly not a charity or help group. Sorry.
As others have said you need to have some indication of the charity in the title. It can be something simple even something like "disability reality".
waqas4 h, 54 m ago

Hi guys, thanks to those who offered actual advice.I totally get what your …Hi guys, thanks to those who offered actual advice.I totally get what your saying and will feedback. The charity will not be looking at raising funds etc but to focus on people in the community with all different types of disabilities. Talking about the individuals journey, hurdles faced and advice they would give others in similar position.Discussions around implicit bias, accessibility and inspiring others.Hope that helps.

Then you would use something like:
Real people, real lives
Building communities
Inspiring communities
Disability inspiration group
Community action network
Etc
I used to be in a boy band called 'Implicit Reality' the 80s.

Fortunately the internet hadn't been invented & we don't exist in cyberspace today
Hopefully it won't be a so called charity that milks money off the government yet does f all.
It would put me off as a name, it mean very little to me in the context of a charity and as said above is pretty forgettable.

I'd also not donate on the spur of the moment as it sounds far to pretentious.
I think it’s the word ‘implicit’ that I’m struggling with, I like to think I’m a fairly educated person, but what does it actually mean? It’s not exactly an every day word and when you described what the charity would do, you used the wording ‘implicit bias’, now what does that mean?
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 14th Jul
I’ll make a suggestion - Positive Forces
(Meaning mental or moral strength or power by a team of people to overcome obstacles)
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 14th Jul
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants