what do you use your microserver for?

Found 17th Feb 2014
hi ,

so everyone has bought a new n54 in the last few weeks, but what are we all using them for?

im looking at mainly peoples setups and those that use Server OS's (are there any who have set up a domain at home?) and those with esxi (cant see a valid reason for this at home? )

currently run a server with xbmc and thats mainly it, with a vmware server for playing with server OS to learn from.

how about you?
Community Updates
MiscMicroserver
10 Comments
A valid reason for ESXi at home is simply to be able to experiment with a variety of operating systems, I know a few people who use them for this purpose to get practice and experience with configuring a variety of different operating systems.

I use WHS v2011 with mine as it's fairly cheap, works without issue and it can run most normal Windows software, currently it's set up for file sharing, Sqieezebox server, Fitbit syncing, Iplayer downloads, Steam downloads, Syslog server and a couple of VM's. I did put a graphics card in it with the idea of using it for media playback but I haven't really needed that side of it.

John
Edited by: "Johnmcl7" 17th Feb 2014
One huge storage device for me, serves media around the house.
One running WHS storing and serving media to numerous devices around the house.

One as an HTPC. I went down that road as I was going to put in a sat card and replace sky. In hindsight I would have just got another Revo as I never did that
For me my N40L is;

XBMC for my living room TV
Lots of storage space for my digitised media (all of it's digitised now but took a lot of time to do)
Remote file access, so I can play my media on the road to the likes of my phone
Web browsing properly when no other computer is turned on
Ripping and conversion of media
Downloads
Back ups of my home computers and important files
Games console (emulation & PC games)
Serving files to other media devices at home
Running Virtual Box installs for software that I don't trust or want clogging up my real OS's such as iTunes
Software: Unraid (Plugins: MySQL/TVHeadend)

File store for Media/Software/Games/User Profiles.
Mine is currently sitting in my bedroom, still boxed... Need to buy some HDDs, an OS, gfx card etc as I want to set it up for XBMC in lounge, use for home streaming and data backups, downloads, and handy browsing on the TV.

Couple of hundred knicker for that though, which I'm not really in a position to spend at the moment as literally just bought a house which is receiving the majority of my cash at the mo
Astec123

For me my N40L is;XBMC for my living room TVLots of storage space for my … For me my N40L is;XBMC for my living room TVLots of storage space for my digitised media (all of it's digitised now but took a lot of time to do)Remote file access, so I can play my media on the road to the likes of my phoneWeb browsing properly when no other computer is turned onRipping and conversion of mediaDownloadsBack ups of my home computers and important filesGames console (emulation & PC games)Serving files to other media devices at homeRunning Virtual Box installs for software that I don't trust or want clogging up my real OS's such as iTunes

Sounds like what I want to do with my N40L. What OS are you using ?

Really not clued up on microservers at all as you will probably be able to tell from my upcoming question, why are you all running XBMC on a microserver? Would having a cheapy HTPC at a TV and then a NAS drive somewhere in the house not do the same as what a lot of you are doing but probably cheaper?

Genuine question so would be good to hear any advantages of running XBMC and all your storage in a microserver over a HTPC or Raspberry Pi and NAS combo.
Original Poster
a HTPC and NAS would always cost more, way more infact IMO.

i have both XBMC and all the storage media in one, saving money.

nothing come close to the performance of a microserver for £90 or so pounds
Astec123

For me my N40L is;XBMC for my living room TVLots of storage space for my … For me my N40L is;XBMC for my living room TVLots of storage space for my digitised media (all of it's digitised now but took a lot of time to do)Remote file access, so I can play my media on the road to the likes of my phoneWeb browsing properly when no other computer is turned onRipping and conversion of mediaDownloadsBack ups of my home computers and important filesGames console (emulation & PC games)Serving files to other media devices at homeRunning Virtual Box installs for software that I don't trust or want clogging up my real OS's such as iTunes

Towelie

Really not clued up on microservers at all as you will probably be able … Really not clued up on microservers at all as you will probably be able to tell from my upcoming question, why are you all running XBMC on a microserver? Would having a cheapy HTPC at a TV and then a NAS drive somewhere in the house not do the same as what a lot of you are doing but probably cheaper?Genuine question so would be good to hear any advantages of running XBMC and all your storage in a microserver over a HTPC or Raspberry Pi and NAS combo.

Windows 7

It's a good question, for me the Microserver offers more facilities than a NAS would as I can do the ripping etc all from one device. Plus unlike most NAS setups I can probably get the best part of 20tb of drives in them (working towards that sort of figure as I go along).

The main downside for using something like a RPi or similar is the performance. XBMC on Windows/Linux just works flawlessly at 1080p, on my Android Stick (not a low spec one either that we use in the bedroom) XBMC is slower and just cant handle the Aeon MQ3 skin without stuttering. It's nice for basic use and works well with the HP but it's just not as nice as the main TV running XBMC properly.

Then as has been said there is price as most 4 bay NAS setups are similar in price to the HP without the added flexibiity of a Microserver and you have the cost of an R-Pi etc. £125 gets you a 4 bay NAS without any drives, there some cheaper ones around but that's about the going rate for a decent model. For the HP, currently you can get one up and running to play XBMC with a 250gb hard disk included for the same sort of price including a cheap graphics card for HDMI. So for most this makes more sense, you effectively get a free drive to install the OS and programs on, they are more easily expanded than a NAS (CD/DVD bay or space for more drives than the stock 4), parts are easy to obtain, plenty of support from both HP and end users and most of all, they have a proven track record, 3 generations of pretty much the same hardware with minor updates and the latest model again seems to build further on top of that.

So my attitude is a case of why not get everything in one rather small box that just works, rather than needing loads of separate bits to get going. As a final note they also seem to hold their value fairly well as you can seemingly offload them for around £80-100 without too much issue unlike a rasberry or NAS which may be rather harder to part ways with.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants