Expired

What does a kindle fire do?

Found 17th Sep 2017
I appreciate this may sound dim, especially to those of you that have one, but I wondered if someone could let me know what a kindle does and doesn't do?
My mother in law wants to get one each for our boys for xmas. (4 & 6).
I thought they were just for reading but I'm told they work like a tablet?
I gather youtube is not available though?
So, are they any good for kids? Can they download android apps? We use educational tools like skoolbo.. Is this possible on a kindle?
Thanks in advance for any advice
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
Best thing to do is search on the Amazon App Store using the Amazon website in regards to about the apps available

You can read books and you can download apps. The official YouTube app isn't available but there is an app called YouTube.com which is identical but not official.
Although they're called a Kindle they're actually a tablet.
The special 'kids edition' comes with a really durable and easy to hold cover and a 2 year no questions asked warranty where they will replace it if it breaks in any way. It also comes with a year's subscription to the kids apps/content from Amazon - we haven't really used this yet as our 2 year old just surfs Yourube! (Yeah I know it sounds bad but he loves watching videos of ambulances)
Unlike an iPad etc you set the kindle up with both a parental profile and a child's profile - the parental one is the one that controls all settings and can stop kids installing and accessing things you'd rather them not i.e. You can have no internet browser and only install apps you as a parent want them to have.

I've always been an iPad fan but for a fraction of the cost this is amazing for kids - and it keeps him away from the rather more expensive tech in the house!
Amazon uses the kindle branding for a couple of different ranges. The Fire range are just android tablets, the main thing unusual about them if that they use an Amazon app store instead of the google one so many common apps aren't accessible through the normal route.

They're completely different from the Kindle-branded eReaders that you're thinking of such as the paperwhite models.
I have just bought a supposed refurbish previous version Amazon (Kindle) Fire 7 (which turned out to be brand new) for a 3 year old's Christmas present. Only cost £23 when on special offer two weeks ago - now they are £30 amazon.co.uk/dp/…me=

I have installed Google Play store and made them look like a standard Android tablet. I've installed apps like Youtube for kids, CBBeebies, Peppa Pig etc. This this would make a great first tablet for a child - and not too much of a financial loss if it is broken!

I will of course be getting a decent rubber case for it!
Look on youtube u can get google play store on youtube kids etc
kevlfc9 m ago

Look on youtube u can get google play store on youtube kids etc

I followed these instructions - very straightforward. howtogeek.com/270…id/
I have two of them got them on john lewis 2 years guarantee
Dolphinzz4 h, 32 m ago

Best thing to do is search on the Amazon App Store using the Amazon …Best thing to do is search on the Amazon App Store using the Amazon website in regards to about the apps availableYou can read books and you can download apps. The official YouTube app isn't available but there is an app called YouTube.com which is identical but not official.

Thanks, I didn't realise I could look at the Amazon app store without a kindle, I shall have a browse now.
Get one of these case they amazing

32013749-iBbVd.jpg
buttonpushervic4 h, 35 m ago

Although they're called a Kindle they're actually a tablet.The special …Although they're called a Kindle they're actually a tablet.The special 'kids edition' comes with a really durable and easy to hold cover and a 2 year no questions asked warranty where they will replace it if it breaks in any way. It also comes with a year's subscription to the kids apps/content from Amazon - we haven't really used this yet as our 2 year old just surfs Yourube! (Yeah I know it sounds bad but he loves watching videos of ambulances)Unlike an iPad etc you set the kindle up with both a parental profile and a child's profile - the parental one is the one that controls all settings and can stop kids installing and accessing things you'd rather them not i.e. You can have no internet browser and only install apps you as a parent want them to have.I've always been an iPad fan but for a fraction of the cost this is amazing for kids - and it keeps him away from the rather more expensive tech in the house!

Thanks so much for your reply. This all sounds perfect! If I leave them with my phone for 5 mins they download all sorts of rubbish, so I love that I can stop that.
You made me chuckle with your youtube description too!
Awesome, thanks I shall put it in my watch list now!
Van19731 h, 21 m ago

I have just bought a supposed refurbish previous version Amazon (Kindle) …I have just bought a supposed refurbish previous version Amazon (Kindle) Fire 7 (which turned out to be brand new) for a 3 year old's Christmas present. Only cost £23 when on special offer two weeks ago - now they are £30 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00Y3TM6CO/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=I have installed Google Play store and made them look like a standard Android tablet. I've installed apps like Youtube for kids, CBBeebies, Peppa Pig etc. This this would make a great first tablet for a child - and not too much of a financial loss if it is broken! I will of course be getting a decent rubber case for it!

£30 certainly seems more reasonable than some of the prices I have seen! I will hang on to the link. Thanks
EndlessWaves3 h, 13 m ago

Amazon uses the kindle branding for a couple of different ranges. The Fire …Amazon uses the kindle branding for a couple of different ranges. The Fire range are just android tablets, the main thing unusual about them if that they use an Amazon app store instead of the google one so many common apps aren't accessible through the normal route.They're completely different from the Kindle-branded eReaders that you're thinking of such as the paperwhite models.

Ah, ok thanks. I had thought a kindle was a digital library. I didn't realise you could play games and download apps too.
I would suggest getting a android tablet like a acer. I've got a kindle fire 6 and I found the screen too small to read on or use most apps. The acer iconic 10 I have is perfect for it
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions