What does an iPhone/ios do with text messages?

11 replies
Found 3rd Nov 2016
Afternoon all,

My wife had a text from work about 2 months back that she had to keep. She's just tried to find it and it 'appears' not to be on the phone? We can't work out why? (I use Android, so I might be missing something?).

It's an iPhone 6, if that matters...

So, the message hasn't been deleted.

In message settings expiry is set for 'forever'.

There are no texts saved on her iCloud acc.

Anyone have a clue as to how we find this? Or is ios so random it just deletes things anyway???

1. Ask
  2. iPhone
  3. iOS
11 Comments

Never happened to me before, I have iPhone 6s. Has she backed up recently as May be worth going into iTunes seeing if you can choose a previous back up date?

Are you sure it's not on the phone ? Have you tried doing a search?

If you can remember some text from the message you can search for it by going to the first page of apps and swiping left to bring the search bar up

Are you sure the phone was not reset after the text was received? are you able to scroll up even further? I have android and all messages are deleted automatically after a certain time, it might be the same case with with her phone.

I have my messages set to forever.

I have just looked on mine and got bored when I had gone back four years. pick a contact that has been messaging for years and see how far you can go back. if you can go further than the date of that message then it's something to do with that contact. has their number changed or been edited / deleted ?

Original Poster

sydney871

Are you sure it's not on the phone ? Have you tried doing a search?

Yes, we know some of the words used and we know the date and time it came in. It's not there and search for key words shows up nothing.

There are texts on the phone before it and after!

Original Poster

punji

Are you sure the phone was not reset after the text was received? are … Are you sure the phone was not reset after the text was received? are you able to scroll up even further? I have android and all messages are deleted automatically after a certain time, it might be the same case with with her phone.

It's never been reset. The message came in Oct 10th at 7 pm, so less than a month ago. We can scroll past that date and there are messages! just not that one??? She never deletes a message unless it's some marketing spam.

Original Poster

jonnithomas

I have my messages set to forever.I have just looked on mine and got … I have my messages set to forever.I have just looked on mine and got bored when I had gone back four years. pick a contact that has been messaging for years and see how far you can go back. if you can go further than the date of that message then it's something to do with that contact. has their number changed or been edited / deleted ?

It's a message from her work (NHS) the number never changes. The phone shows other message from that number (if it's all of them we have no idea), but not the one she needs.

steve1221

It's a message from her work (NHS) the number never changes. The phone … It's a message from her work (NHS) the number never changes. The phone shows other message from that number (if it's all of them we have no idea), but not the one she needs.

all I can think is that it was deleted in error. either that or it was sent from a different account at the NHS and you are looking at the usual message sender and not this new one.

try archiving the phone and then restoring an archive taken just after the message was received if you have one.

alternatively if the message is important there is software to recover iphone sms that have been deleted in error. I cannot recommend one as I have never needed to use one.

also there's an app that allows sender to delete messages off recipients phone wgntv.com/201…ne/

there's another called wiper
Edited by: "jonnithomas" 3rd Nov 2016

I have a feeling she may have deleted that individual text. If you hold down on a text message you can delete a single one rather than all of them at once.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. landlord trying to get tenant to purchase a new bed when the old one was al…11
    2. Amazon New Christmas Gift Store - Not the best of suggestions.11
    3. Is this junction box wired properly??914
    4. Is there a way to add ethernet to MIFI device?34

See more discussions