Groups

What does it mean? Road sign with TAG in electronic display...

On a road near our house there appeared some months ago a mysterious road sign.

When I say sign its more a small box at the top of a pole. Its on a pole about standard height for one which would carry a normal Highway Code type metal sign but secured to the upper part is a smallish grey box about 18" high, 6" across and 8" deep. The front is black with the word 'TAG' spelt vertically in LEDS. It is never lit (at least I havent seen it) and doesnt seem to do anything.

Any thoughts?

21 Comments

sounds weird...ring your council and ask? or police?

there watching you .......

i would guess its something to monitor traffic flow or similar-and like they say with road speed cams-a big % are broken or off...

Is it one of these?

http://www.severnbridge.co.uk/images/img_tag_green.gif

The Severn TAG is an Automatic Vehicle Identification System which allows you to travel Westbound across the Severn Bridge and Second Severn Crossing almost without stop. For regular users this means not having to worry about having the right money for the automatic machines or queueing to pay at the manned Toll Booths.

How does it work?

The TAG is an electronic device, which fixes to the windscreen. As you approach the Toll Lane a scanner will read the TAG and, provided your account is in credit you will be able to drive through practically without stopping. The system records your journeys and debits your account automatically.

Subliminal advertising for watches.

http://www.wristwatchreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/02/tag-heuer-carrera-mtc.jpg

Original Poster

Thanks for the responses so far :-)

I'll try and take a photo and post it later

edna_clouds;4137543

Is it one of these?The Severn TAG is an Automatic Vehicle Identification … Is it one of these?The Severn TAG is an Automatic Vehicle Identification System which allows you to travel Westbound across the Severn Bridge and Second Severn Crossing almost without stop. For regular users this means not having to worry about having the right money for the automatic machines or queueing to pay at the manned Toll Booths. How does it work? The TAG is an electronic device, which fixes to the windscreen. As you approach the Toll Lane a scanner will read the TAG and, provided your account is in credit you will be able to drive through practically without stopping. The system records your journeys and debits your account automatically..

I was going to say that, doesn't it also apply to the dartford tunnel/bridge?

fanpages;4137904

Are you thinking of ]DART-Tag[.co.uk]?BFN,fp.

yep, knew it had tag there somewhere!

Original Poster

Sorry guys havent got photo as traffic really busy last night. This is just on a normal suburban road in Hemel Hempstead and I cant get a response from the council (they keep saying they dont know). Even call Herts County Council as this is really bugging me but no joy.

Maybe they are watching me?!:?

one of these flashed at me in Hemel as I drove past it yesterday, never seen them before and there is nothing listed on the internet reference these at all! weird! maybe aliens will abduct me tonight! yipeeee

Banned

fanpages

He is always watching.

Now everything makes sense...

fanpages

He is always watching.BFN,fp.

Even when i'm having a poo? Weirdo.

Just realised this thread is two years old!

Goonieman

Just realised this thread is two years old!

I know and still no pictures, maybe they got a hold of him.

Original Poster

Nope - I'm still trying to get enough time to pull over and take a picture!

It flashed once as a car ahead of me passed the other day.

Still not found out what it is :-S

Original Poster

And I really will stop and take a piccy soon

marmalade47

And I really will stop and take a piccy soon

have you looked on google street view see if it is there?

I have seen exactly the same sign T A G on Lawn Lane and have wondered what it is.
    Perhaps it is for the emergency services? some sort of status T or A or G ?
    Would love to know.
    I noticed that there was a post on the driving instructors forum by a person called Ashridge but it appears that they have gone out of business at least their website doesnt work. ashridgedriving.co.uk
    Perhaps they asked the wrong question?
    Never ever seen one before.

I have noticed one of these tag posts just like the one marmalade47 describes, yes the one in Lawn Lane.. saw it light up once when transit van went past. Still can't find out what it is for.Fordy H.H.

This conspiracy runs deep...

Banned

WARNING zombie thread WARNING
    Edited by: "goldmax" 14th May 2012
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Your dream gaming set up?817
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …137325
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764522
      4. What is flamedeer??3047

See more discussions