Expired

What does MPG (miles per gallon) mean on a 2L Audi A3?

Found 18th May 2014
Hi

Sorry to ask this question may seem silly to some but a bit confused.

You know when it says mpg what does it mean? I mean how many gallons in a litre? What I'm asking is on a full tank how far will the car travel before it gets empty?

Looking at an Audi A3 TDI 2.0 ... so how long will it travel before a refill is needed?

The stats of the car from autotrader are as follows:

Urban mpg: 40.4 mpg
Extra Urban mpg: 61.4 mpg
Average mpg: 51.4 mpg
Community Updates
AskAudi
21 Comments
Original Poster
Oh and on a 2L Audi A3 how much would it cost to fill up a full tank?
How many litres does it hold from empty as its roughly 4.5 litres per gallon?
Do the stats not also quote miles per litre?
Edited by: "arachnoid" 18th May 2014
One gallon is 4.5 litres. You can work the rest our yourself
Original Poster
sancho1983

One gallon is 4.5 litres. You can work the rest our yourself

OK found out its 50 litres (or 11 Gallons). Diesal is 136.9p in our area so would cost £68.45 to fill full tank or £34.22 to fill half tank

So based on it's 11 Gallons the number of miles I'll get from a full tank is:

Urban mpg: 40.4 mpg (444.40 miles for full tank?)
Extra Urban mpg: 61.4 mpg (675.40 miles for full tank?)
Average mpg: 51.4 mpg (565.40 miles for full tank?)

Original Poster
ceres

No-one can answer your question because you have omitted the key piece of … No-one can answer your question because you have omitted the key piece of information.

Which is ... ?
What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?
These MPG need to be taken with a pinch of salt. They aren't tested on actual roads.
They are tested under perfect conditions on a rolling road so what you will actually get will be lower, how much lower exactly? You would need to consult an independent source (What Car magazine etc.)
I had a 2l a3 tdi and got 6-700 miles per tank depending how I drove if that helps
Original Poster
Apogee00

I had a 2l a3 tdi and got 6-700 miles per tank depending how I drove if … I had a 2l a3 tdi and got 6-700 miles per tank depending how I drove if that helps

Nice that's what I wanted to know ...

But I guess it's all to do with your own driving.

I was trying to work out if it would cost more in petrol than my current car Corolla VVTI 1.6 2002.

Thanks anyway
Apogee00

I had a 2l a3 tdi and got 6-700 miles per tank depending how I drove if … I had a 2l a3 tdi and got 6-700 miles per tank depending how I drove if that helps

Yes but driving 6ft behind a lorry down the motorway is not for everybody!

OP. While it will depend on driving style and if you drive up the motorway at 4am or sit in traffic crawling through a town centre. Whatcars's true MPG test gave 82% of the offical MPG on the A3 2.0tdi 150se. So if this is true of the older model the you should be looking at about 43MPG
We've had a few diesel VW cars and got around 30mpg round town, 40mpg on a decent run and 50mpg if you were really really careful. If you are doing lots of town driving and stop start, or short journeys then expect closer to 30mpg.
GAVINLEWISHUKD

Yes but driving 6ft behind a lorry down the motorway is not for … Yes but driving 6ft behind a lorry down the motorway is not for everybody! OP. While it will depend on driving style and if you drive up the motorway at 4am or sit in traffic crawling through a town centre. Whatcars's true MPG test gave 82% of the offical MPG on the A3 2.0tdi 150se. So if this is true of the older model the you should be looking at about 43MPG

although some do, 6ft behind a lorry is going a bit too far for me!
just look at the average and take say 5-10mpg off.
You won't be far away.
Means corner shop and back.
krazyasif786

[quote=Apogee00] I was trying to work out if it would cost more in petrol … [quote=Apogee00] I was trying to work out if it would cost more in petrol than my current car Corolla VVTI 1.6 2002.

Nope no more petrol hee,hee
My Saab 1,9 does 45-50 mpg on Diesel so your looking in that region
Banned
I have a 1.9 and that does for £50 260 miles.
just had a 1.4 civic and that did £50 220 miles. I live in a town. my driving is local as school runs and gym etc .
The Audi road tax is £30 a year due to Dpf being fitted in all new cars from 08 reg.
Please research on Dpf if you want a Audi cos they need to be on morerway once a month but some a5 Audi are worst . my friends needs a motorway run every week. Thank god A3 are ok
The stats from Auto Trader wont be far off, my Jetta would have had a similar if not the same engine, light car, I got 60mpg on a long run, about 43 mpg around town, and I used to hammer the thing.
by the way are mpg on cars measured in US OR UK gallons? and is that global or does it differ in location or manufacturer
Stusername

These MPG need to be taken with a pinch of salt. They aren't tested on … These MPG need to be taken with a pinch of salt. They aren't tested on actual roads. They are tested under perfect conditions on a rolling road so what you will actually get will be lower, how much lower exactly? You would need to consult an independent source (What Car magazine etc.)

No! Don't tell him they need to be taken with a pinch of salt lol.....
sofiasar

I have a 1.9 and that does for £50 260 miles. just had a 1.4 civic and … I have a 1.9 and that does for £50 260 miles. just had a 1.4 civic and that did £50 220 miles. I live in a town. my driving is local as school runs and gym etc . The Audi road tax is £30 a year due to Dpf being fitted in all new cars from 08 reg. Please research on Dpf if you want a Audi cos they need to be on morerway once a month but some a5 Audi are worst . my friends needs a motorway run every week. Thank god A3 are ok

Car tax is done on CO2 emissions, not particulates.
Original Poster
pghstochaj

Car tax is done on CO2 emissions, not particulates.

Yeah its £140 for the audi based on autotrader
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants