Groups

What does my "TV Spur" switch do?

Hi guys, just moved into a new apartment and Ive got a switch in the hall cupboard that says "TV Spur" under it. Its off at the moment and has been since I moved in but I dont know what it does. Can anyone shed some light on what its for please?

11 Comments

you tried pressing the switch?

It sounds like a switch to send power to an added "spur"(An electrical circuit). Have you asked the landlord, they may have a better idea than people on here?

a switch is there to be switched. try it, whats the worst that could happen! :thumbsup:

http://www.hgsc.bcm.tmc.edu/downloads/graphics/Bang.jpg

press it and it will let you watch the best football team ever....:-D:p

raptorcigs;2988937

I lol'd as soon as I saw the image I knew it had to be you!!!!

yimmie;2989611

Really?? It really does let you watch Accrington Stanley? wow!!!

yimmie;2989611

5 wins in 2008, think not :thumbsup:

Back on topic a Spur is a new socket on your existing electrical ring, basically if you plug an extension lead into a mains socket that is in theory a spur. A proper spur is more permanent and wired into the existing wiring on the ring main that can either be wired in behind one of your existing sockets or wired into a junction box anywhere on the ring main.

That on off switch will cut the power to the spur socket, which in your case is used fr the TV but instead of cutting the power at the socket it will cut it further up the Spur most likely next to the point where the spur connects to the ring main

That's just my limited take on it though either way you'll be fine to turn it off if you wanted too

Original Poster

Thanks for the informed (and not so informed) replies :thumbsup:

So basically its pretty much useless then. Will switching it on make the signal any stronger?

boomboom;2997685

Thanks for the informed (and not so informed) replies :thumbsup:So … Thanks for the informed (and not so informed) replies :thumbsup:So basically its pretty much useless then. Will switching it on make the signal any stronger?

No it will just cut power to one of your mains sockets

Original Poster

RedIron;2997703

No it will just cut power to one of your mains sockets

Fair enough, thanks for clearing that up
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I have 2 spare netflix slots and a spotify share.36
      2. One for the mathmeticians2337
      3. The HDUK home for Star Trek: Discovery1424
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767427

See more discussions