What does Paypal do when the buyer hasn't received their eBay item?

Found 5th Apr 2009
Evening all.

Sold something through eBay, sent via recorded delivery on 24th March but it still hasn't arrived - all the website says for the parcel is that it was received at the post office when I took it.
Buyer has now put in a Paypal claim. I told her that Royal Mail state we have to wait 15 working days before I can claim from them but I can understand her impatience slightly.
Paypal has now asked me to provide the tracking number by 14th April. I don't want to give it right now incase they refund her and then the trainers arrive too, so can anyone advise what Paypal do in these cases?

Thank you

23 Comments

if you got nothing in your account, they cant do much!!

Original Poster

intenso100;4838668

That can. They took the money on hold already, leaving my account negative so when someone else made me a payment, my account is now on zero! :x

Mrs.Z;4838771

That can. They took the money on hold already, leaving my account … That can. They took the money on hold already, leaving my account negative so when someone else made me a payment, my account is now on zero! :x

oh must have changed since last time happened to me sorry

intenso100;4838668

I am pretty sure they will take it from your bank account or credit card depending on which you have connected to your account.
They will normally wait for the post a bit longer but if it is lost they will re-imburse the buyer

Original Poster

What's with all the eyes? I'm shy

What I want to know is how they go about it? Do they have a deadline that they give for the parcel to arrive? What if it turns up after they refund?

I was hoping (well, not HOPING - but you know) that someone might have experienced this before and could shed some light on their procedure

Sloth/Mod

If it doesn't arrive then Paypal will refund and take the money from your bank account or failing that instruct debt collectors.

You will need to check with Royal Mail and if it doesn't turn up within 21 days make a claim with them.

just give tracking no

if uve got a tracking number then thats ur proof of posting so she wont get a refund

Sloth/Mod

gamesrus;4838927

if uve got a tracking number then thats ur proof of posting so she wont … if uve got a tracking number then thats ur proof of posting so she wont get a refund

Not true...........Paypal check to see if it's delivered. If it hasn't been then they refund.

how come some sellers state in their listings that they wont be held responsible for items being lost in the post blah blah...& that they obtain proof of posting, im not sure how it works. curious myself!

Sloth/Mod

kassy2005;4839026

how come some sellers state in their listings that they wont be held … how come some sellers state in their listings that they wont be held responsible for items being lost in the post blah blah...& that they obtain proof of posting, im not sure how it works. curious myself!

Because they think that fools people into taking a loss. Paypal guarantee eBay purchases so if it doesn't come then you get a refund..........hence why you should always send by a trackable method.

Original Poster

The parcel was sent recorded so I do have the tracking number.

I was going to give it straight away but I was worried that Paypal might then just close the caseand then - what if the trainers turn up?

If I wait till nearer the deadline would that be better, in case? Or will Paypal give more time for them to arrive before closing the case?

id just send the tracking number and see what they say next at least your proving you have posted it better than not sending them the tracking number and them thinking you didnt send at all good luck with it

Sloth/Mod

Mrs.Z;4839107

The parcel was sent recorded so I do have the tracking number.I was going … The parcel was sent recorded so I do have the tracking number.I was going to give it straight away but I was worried that Paypal might then just close the caseand then - what if the trainers turn up?If I wait till nearer the deadline would that be better, in case? Or will Paypal give more time for them to arrive before closing the case?

Submit the tracking number to them on the claim and ring Royal Mail tomorrow as things don't always appear on the website tracking.

Original Poster

SABJ;4839111

id just send the tracking number and see what they say next at least your … id just send the tracking number and see what they say next at least your proving you have posted it better than not sending them the tracking number and them thinking you didnt send at all good luck with it

I wasn't considering not giving it, but Paypal have given me until the 14th April so don't know if it's better I delay them a bit if it will give RM more time

Syzable;4839122

Submit the tracking number to them on the claim and ring Royal Mail … Submit the tracking number to them on the claim and ring Royal Mail tomorrow as things don't always appear on the website tracking.

Will call them tomorrow to check, thanks

you could wait till 14th then if its not gona effect you that way royal mail should of decided whats happened to the parcel its a nightmare now selling on ebay hope it all works out for you

Original Poster

SABJ;4839191

you could wait till 14th then if its not gona effect you that way royal … you could wait till 14th then if its not gona effect you that way royal mail should of decided whats happened to the parcel its a nightmare now selling on ebay hope it all works out for you

I just don't see what gives Paypal the right to reove the money from my account just on the buyer's say so :x
At least decide the case against me first!

Mrs.Z;4839328

I just don't see what gives Paypal the right to reove the money from my … I just don't see what gives Paypal the right to reove the money from my account just on the buyer's say so :xAt least decide the case against me first!

What else can they do ?

At the moment you only have proof you posted it,no proof it arrived so the buyer is out of pocket.

Trouble is,the longer you delay you might end up aggrevating the buyer and they leave a neg,i would just refund now:thumbsup:

Original Poster

deb8z;4839376

What else can they do ?At the moment you only have proof you posted it,no … What else can they do ?At the moment you only have proof you posted it,no proof it arrived so the buyer is out of pocket.Trouble is,the longer you delay you might end up aggrevating the buyer and they leave a neg,i would just refund now:thumbsup:

I cant refund now - they could still turn up!

I don't believe in going over the top to appease a buyer at my own expense - if I get a neg that I know wasn't my fault then that's life!

I gave the buyer the tracking number as soon as she queried as to the whereabouts of the trainers, so she knows that I have dispatched them

I wouldnt say its going over the top,the buyer has waited 12 days so far.

Have you asked the buyer to check at the sorting office incase they didn't leave a card?

Banned

enter the tracking number into paypal, the deadline you see is for you entering it in

once entered the date will change you get about 30 days roughly i think for it to turn up

only prob is the parcel has probably been left without a signiture which is why she is asking about it, happened to me and buyer even admited it but said i could claim with rm .....pain in bum buut rm sent cheque within 10days i was quite suprised how easy it was tbh

Original Poster

deb8z;4839818

I wouldnt say its going over the top,the buyer has waited 12 days so … I wouldnt say its going over the top,the buyer has waited 12 days so far.Have you asked the buyer to check at the sorting office incase they didn't leave a card?

The reason I think it's over the top is because the parcel could easily still turn up.
I asked her to check with her local office but I don't reckon she did

casparwhite;4839840

enter the tracking number into paypal, the deadline you see is for you … enter the tracking number into paypal, the deadline you see is for you entering it inonce entered the date will change you get about 30 days roughly i think for it to turn up only prob is the parcel has probably been left without a signiture which is why she is asking about it, happened to me and buyer even admited it but said i could claim with rm .....pain in bum buut rm sent cheque within 10days i was quite suprised how easy it was tbh

I think that it probably has turned up without a signature being asked for - I know Royal Mail has done it to me before.
And when she first enquired, it was not even a week after she had paid for the trainers, I explained that it could take up to 15 working day to arrive and the she emailed me every morning for 3 days to say it hadn't arrived before putting a claim in. I have a feeling she's trying it but what can I do?

Banned

Mrs.Z;4840143

The reason I think it's over the top is because the parcel could easily … The reason I think it's over the top is because the parcel could easily still turn up.I asked her to check with her local office but I don't reckon she didI think that it probably has turned up without a signature being asked for - I know Royal Mail has done it to me before.And when she first enquired, it was not even a week after she had paid for the trainers, I explained that it could take up to 15 working day to arrive and the she emailed me every morning for 3 days to say it hadn't arrived before putting a claim in. I have a feeling she's trying it but what can I do?

nothing....take it on the chin! put a claim in with royal mail send it in with copy of paypal claim and a general receipt if you can find 1 they pay pretty quickly

i think when this happens to you it makes you think the next time something comes through the door when it should be signed for.........:thinking:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I posted a deal that has been removed411
    2. Laptop Recommendation - HELP PLEASE22
    3. Ideas on a upgrade from a UE boombox please?10
    4. Looking to travel from belfast22

See more discussions