what does softmodding wii involve?

Found 1st May 2009
So many questions...so thank you in advance

How do i do it?
Can it be taken off?
Can i then just download games and stick them on a card like i do for the DS?

1. Misc
  2. Wii
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Wii
22 Comments

[COLOR="Magenta"]have a look here its really easy i did it !! wiiguide.co.cc/[/COLOR]

you need a copy of Wii Zelda Twilight princess and a SD card and SD card reader/writer
Yes
I dont think you can with Wii games althought there are emulators

masterruckus;5096434

I dont think you can with Wii games althought there are emulators

there is now a loader for running games off a usb hdd or usb drive.

another forum

What you need:-Twilight Hack (Twilight princess)-3.4 or below firmware … What you need:-Twilight Hack (Twilight princess)-3.4 or below firmware Wii, I believe you can find a way to get it back to 3.4 or below from 4.0 but I haven't had to do this.-An sd card.-usb hard drive that works with the wii: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.p...atibility_List-Some way to run Wii Apps, probably the homebrew channel along with twilight hack.-IOS36-64-v1042.wad (You can google this easily)-USB Loader current version (1.5) from the above site-CIOS current version (10) from the above site-WBFS Manager (google) this allows you to transfer games from your computer to your usb hdd.For the record I tried to get some of my externals to work with this but ended up going to buy a 250 gig western digital passport for $80 since it works pretty flawlessly.Make sure your sd card is formatted to work with the wii, put the IOS36-64-v1042.wad in the root of the sd card. Then rename the application dol files to boot.dol so the homebrew channel will read them correctly.Foolproof setup of sd card for cios10 installation and using usbloader:Root of SD: IOS36-64-v1042.wad (DO NOT PUT THIS IN THE WAD FOLDER.)Apps\cios10\boot.dol (This is renamed from cIOS36_rev10-Installer.dol)Apps\USBLoader1.4\boot.dol (this is renamed from SDUSB-Loader_v1.5)Run through homebrew channel.Now that you have the wii setup, format your hard drive to wbfs using wbfs manager or the usb loader (you may need to format it to fat32 and then to wbfs). After you have it in wbfs format you can download iso's from wherever you want and transfer them over to the drive using wbfs manager. I've gotten pal, ntsc, and jap games to work, so I'm not sure what the limitations are yet.I mainly found this program to be awesome because if my disc drive stops working again (Brawl ) I can just play it off of my backup.Here is a list of not working games and workarounds for games with the usb loader. http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php/USB_Launcher_v1

shanecr;5096458

there is now a loader for running games off a usb hdd or usb drive.

cheers for info :thumbsup:

masterruckus;5096552

cheers for info :thumbsup:

lol np. grab it before a mod probably removes it.

Original Poster

thank youuuuuuu

I don't care what people say, having a hardmod, chip is the best you can do. only £30 and nintendo can't do an update to block it like with the softmod.

niggit;5096697

I don't care what people say, having a hardmod, chip is the best you can … I don't care what people say, having a hardmod, chip is the best you can do. only £30 and nintendo can't do an update to block it like with the softmod.

where to do it for £30 ?

I got the chip and did it myself, and i've done it for a few people

Original Poster

niggit;5096697

I don't care what people say, having a hardmod, chip is the best you can … I don't care what people say, having a hardmod, chip is the best you can do. only £30 and nintendo can't do an update to block it like with the softmod.

can i then just download and play games?

Yes, you don't need to install any software, go through any channels, put in the disc and away you go.

niggit;5096735

I got the chip and did it myself, and i've done it for a few people

what chip did you got?

skellysgirl;5097099

can i then just download and play games?

by that, i guess you meant homebrew games.?

Things needed:

Twilight Princess (Game)
SD card
Wii hooked up to the internet (not needed but helps)
Wii with firmware 3.4 or LOWER (if you already have 4.0 you cannot soft mod)

The files you need are here:
]http//so…rar .

This is the guide for installing (FOLLOW IT TO THE LETTER):
]http//so…298

It is NOT EASILY removable (if at all) once it is done.
As for how you play the games:

NO you will not be able to play games from SD (unless they are WII WARE or Virtual Console games, and only then AFTER you have modded and upgraded to firmware 4.0). Otherwise you need to burn the games to disc.or use a piece of homebrew called USB Loader (which uses a USB hard drive to store game ISOs on.

It should take you about an hour or two. Its actually very easy. just follow the guide in the link i've given you.

Depends on what wii. I've done from wiikey1, d2ckey, wiikey2 to drivekey.

if i were to buy a wii today, what one would i need.

If it was to be a new wii, then i would guess you would get a wii d2e epoxy or d2nothing drive, so would not be able to softmod too. So you can pick from drivekey, wasabi dx or flatmod.

I have resellers website to get the chips from, if you want it, let me know.

Hard modding is a waste of money. You don't need updates to play the games. Why bother paying when you can do it free? The only time to use a hard mod is if your console is already at firmware 4.0.

if it isnt you can just softmod, then upgrade to 4.0.. happy days.
no worrying about hardware, opening cases, chip versions or extra cost etc

Original Poster

saayinla;5097156

by that, i guess you meant homebrew games.?

i was thinking i could just downloadgames, i thought it was a bit like i do with the ds, ie have supercard which allows me to play games on my sd card

skellysgirl;5099580

i was thinking i could just downloadgames, i thought it was a bit like i … i was thinking i could just downloadgames, i thought it was a bit like i do with the ds, ie have supercard which allows me to play games on my sd card

Nope.
Did you not read my post at all?

Jetpac

NO you will not be able to play games from SD (unless they are WII WARE … NO you will not be able to play games from SD (unless they are WII WARE or Virtual Console games, and only then AFTER you have modded and upgraded to firmware 4.0). Otherwise you need to burn the games to disc.or use a piece of homebrew called USB Loader (which uses a USB hard drive to store game ISOs on.

Original Poster

Jetpac;5099643

Nope.Did you not read my post at all?

yes, i was just clarifying the earlier question to which games, ie i want to do it to play games that i download, i am realising its gonna take burning discs.
sorry for the confusion

skellysgirl;5102511

yes, i was just clarifying the earlier question to which games, ie i want … yes, i was just clarifying the earlier question to which games, ie i want to do it to play games that i download, i am realising its gonna take burning discs. sorry for the confusion

you can download some games and play them straight from the wii (wiiware and VC games, like the classic Marios, etc etc, these are pretty good) they install direct to the wii.
Post a comment
@
    Text