What does this do

Posted 21st Dec 2019
if I turn on the mobile hotspot does that mean I can share the signal I receive from the WiFi network that my phone is connected too if so how do I do that.
3371346-t6t8m.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
Hotspot is where your device acts as a wireless router in which it uses your date from your SIM card
Arto21/12/2019 22:06

Hotspot is where your device acts as a wireless router in which it uses …Hotspot is where your device acts as a wireless router in which it uses your date from your SIM card

I knew about that but thought that this was something different as it's under the settings for the WiFi signal that is received from another Device was thinking this maybe makes the phone as a repeater.
MynameisM21/12/2019 22:19

I knew about that but thought that this was something different as it's …I knew about that but thought that this was something different as it's under the settings for the WiFi signal that is received from another Device was thinking this maybe makes the phone as a repeater.

Nope just your own data
Arto21/12/2019 22:20

Nope just your own data

Ok just seems odd why have the setting under that section then.
Arto21/12/2019 22:20

Nope just your own data

Not true in all cases - depends on the device. For example, I can tether the WiFi network my device is connected to on my Samsung S8+.
Edited by: "CrashOverride" 21st Dec 2019
CrashOverride21/12/2019 22:32

Not true in all cases - depends on the device. For example, I can tether …Not true in all cases - depends on the device. For example, I can tether the WiFi network my device is connected to on my Samsung S8+.

How would I know if this was or wasn't the case with my phone.
MynameisM21/12/2019 22:35

How would I know if this was or wasn't the case with my phone.

I don't have an option like you do above. I have a work device (Samsung A20e) that DOESN'T do this - in fact it forces me to turn off WiFi before I turn on my mobile hotspot.

I'd say the easiest way would be turn off mobile data on your mobile, connect to wifi and then set up a mobile hotspot. Connect with another device and see if the internet still works via the WiFi connected to your 'first' phone.
Just out of interest, why not connect directly to the WiFi in this situation? If you're connected on the phone presumably you have the access credentials.
CrashOverride21/12/2019 22:37

I don't have an option like you do above. I have a work device (Samsung …I don't have an option like you do above. I have a work device (Samsung A20e) that DOESN'T do this - in fact it forces me to turn off WiFi before I turn on my mobile hotspot.I'd say the easiest way would be turn off mobile data on your mobile, connect to wifi and then set up a mobile hotspot. Connect with another device and see if the internet still works via the WiFi connected to your 'first' phone.

I tried this when I turn on the other option portable hotspot it turns off the WiFi like you said, I am more confused know what the difference is between portable hotspot and Mobile hotspot.
Ferris22/12/2019 06:30

Just out of interest, why not connect directly to the WiFi in this …Just out of interest, why not connect directly to the WiFi in this situation? If you're connected on the phone presumably you have the access credentials.

I can connect directly with one device but the other won't connect as it has weaker signal, and on one of the WiFi networks I can only get a signal as it connects via my virgin media sim card.
as already said, i think it uses your mobile data and not wifi as it doesn't make any sense to make your mobile phone a hotspot if you have access to wifi as the other device can just access wifi directly.

one way you could test this is to turn the data off your phone and so have it on wifi connection only, then turn it to hotspot and see if the other device can access the net using your mobile hotspot connection. if this fails then you know for sure that it uses your mobile data and not wifi for the hotspot.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions