Groups

What does this message mean? i have an error on my laptop

Banned
    Hi, i get this message has come up on the screen when i turn the laptop on. Can anyone give me abit more informartion on what could be wrong or what the message means?

i7.photobucket.com/alb…jpg

21 Comments

Original Poster Banned

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y271/n5760/DSCF1772.jpg

Sounds like a dead Cmos battery ,How old is it ?, and what model,

Looks like the backup battery for the BIOS is run down or given up the ghost and you've lost your BIOS settings. Can you boot into the BIOS and check any errors from there?

Original Poster Banned

The laptop is a SONY VAIO PCG-C1VE. Just been given it recently.

Can you break it down for someone with very basic computer knowledge lol. What do you mean by BIOS?

Banned

mintynw7;5514490

The laptop is a SONY VAIO PCG-C1VE. Just been given it recently. Can you … The laptop is a SONY VAIO PCG-C1VE. Just been given it recently. Can you break it down for someone with very basic computer knowledge lol. What do you mean by BIOS?

wow - that is a seriously old laptop (about 8-9 years old).

What are you planing to use it for as will only be good for very basic stuff?

As said above - CMOS battery. You know, the little flat battery you can buy for about £1 lol:

http://www.packetminds.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/battery9ul.jpg

http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/linux/2006/11/09/graphics/doo_photo_2.jpg

You need to replace this battery, then you'll reset the date and time etc, then you should be sweet.

mintynw7;5514490

The laptop is a SONY VAIO PCG-C1VE. Just been given it recently. Can you … The laptop is a SONY VAIO PCG-C1VE. Just been given it recently. Can you break it down for someone with very basic computer knowledge lol. What do you mean by BIOS?

Before windows loads the computer runs the BIos ( basic input output system ) which is software that stores important data for your pc to start,This data is stored on Flash memory which means it needs constant power to hold that data,That power is provided by a small battery,this battery lasts for years but will eventually die,There is one on ebay ,item no 330331761380 but fitting it will mean removing a panel from underneath your laptop,How easy this is i couldnt tell you on your specific model but i will try to find out for you,

Original Poster Banned

Ok. i am just wanting to use it for basic word, powerpoint use, email and internet acess when i am away travelling the world. As i need a laptop but didnt fancy taking a big bulky one as this is very small and light weight.

Original Poster Banned

Thanks for the responses so i can just buy one of those batteries from lets say a hardware store or does it have to be one that is designed for laptops?

Banned

mintynw7;5514733

Thanks for the responses so i can just buy one of those batteries from … Thanks for the responses so i can just buy one of those batteries from lets say a hardware store or does it have to be one that is designed for laptops?

ebay item 180281864119 should do it and in the meantime, work out how to get in the laptop to replace it :thumbsup:

csiman;5514884

ebay item 180281864119 should do it and in the meantime, work … ebay item 180281864119 should do it and in the meantime, work out how to get in the laptop to replace it :thumbsup:

are you sure this will work in this laptop ?.

Banned

tonyg1962;5514966

are you sure this will work in this laptop ?.

no but its a pretty standard cmos battery.

best to check the manual.

Original Poster Banned

Right, different message is coming up on the laptop now after giving it a good charge

Just saying ' Operating Sytem Not Found'

mintynw7;5516563

Right, different message is coming up on the laptop now after giving it a … Right, different message is coming up on the laptop now after giving it a good chargeJust saying ' Operating Sytem Not Found'

Has it ever worked?

Original Poster Banned

From what i am aware of, yes.

Original Poster Banned

As soon as i turned the laptop on - Up pops the Sony logo and then it goes straight to that -Operating System not found message.

mintynw7;5517260

As soon as i turned the laptop on - Up pops the Sony logo and then it … As soon as i turned the laptop on - Up pops the Sony logo and then it goes straight to that -Operating System not found message.

sounds like it isnt detecting the hard disk drive - hence cant see the operating system on it. Again you need to go into the BIOS at startup before it gets to that screen and there should be an option to detect HDD - have a look around and use any help information thats offered. Once detected, it will be 'stored' in the CMOS memory and you should be ok. More up-to-date machines would normally autodetect so you dont have to do this but since this is pretty ancient you have to do a lot of work yourself.

Just a side note, if you want to take this round the world and it really is this old, you could be creating more problems than solving them. I assume like the rest of us you have a limited budget, but some of the netbooks (although small screen sizes) would do a great job - specially if you went for a linux one. Have a dig round HUKD for info and past deals then decide - it might be a good investment in the long run and save time, money and hair-pulling

Banned

ask your mate if he formatted the HDD before giving it to you

Banned

marmalade47;5520227

sounds like it isnt detecting the hard disk drive - hence cant see the … sounds like it isnt detecting the hard disk drive - hence cant see the operating system on it. Again you need to go into the BIOS at startup before it gets to that screen and there should be an option to detect HDD - have a look around and use any help information thats offered. Once detected, it will be 'stored' in the CMOS memory and you should be ok. More up-to-date machines would normally autodetect so you dont have to do this but since this is pretty ancient you have to do a lot of work yourself.Just a side note, if you want to take this round the world and it really is this old, you could be creating more problems than solving them. I assume like the rest of us you have a limited budget, but some of the netbooks (although small screen sizes) would do a great job - specially if you went for a linux one. Have a dig round HUKD for info and past deals then decide - it might be a good investment in the long run and save time, money and hair-pulling

but the cmos battery is dead
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Tv choice magazine Issue 3933
      2. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains66
      3. Magazine competitions - Issue 37 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk2020
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 38 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1313

See more discussions