Groups

What does this symbol mean?

Just noticed this symbol above one of my internal hard drives. Im sure it used to be just a standard symbol for a hard drive? What does it mean?

11 Comments

the invisible symbol?

Original Poster

photo will be added shortly

Original Poster

Babbabooey;4503084

the invisible symbol?

You were too quick :roll: 2 mins

steevieboy4u;4503089

You were too quick :roll: 2 mins

well then, don't start a thread if you're not ready:roll::roll:

Original Poster

http://usera.ImageCave.com/steevieboy4u/untitled.bmp.jpg

It's the wireless networking wizard.

does the hard drive happen to have a Wireless Network Configuration file saved on it? I know that when you are running the Wireless Network Configuration setup on an XP machine, you have the option to save the data to a thumb drive. Then when you insert the drive in the other computers it will display that icon. I'd check the drive and look for the folliwing folders and files:

J:\SMRTNTKY
    setupSNK.exe
    AUTORUN.INF

Where "J" represents the drive letter of your 2nd hard drive.

if those files are present, remove them or move them to another directory.
    then restart the PC.

thats the icon for a Wireless USB adaptor, windows has just got confused. If it doesnt go away after a restart, then removing the drive, start windows, shut down, replace drive will get rid of it :-)

Original Poster

Ok thanks for advice.

My broadband modem broke the other day so decided to use the wireless router i got as well even though dont want wireless. Installed it and added the password etc but when i checked with my laptop i could connect without it asking for a password! Anyway uninstalled it and reset the router back to default settings (leaving the ethernet cable attached) and now its stopped being wireless but that symbol appeared?

See if it stays there after a restart etc

Both repped :thumbsup:

Original Poster

It had these files
    setup SNK.exe
    AUTORUN.INF

Deleted them, its still got the symbol will try a restart now and see what happens :thumbsup:

steevieboy4u;4503124

Dear lord. Do you actually own a farm of tiny ten year old harddrives, or have you some weird aversion to using folders or something?

Original Poster

dxx;4503600

Dear lord. Do you actually own a farm of tiny ten year old harddrives, or … Dear lord. Do you actually own a farm of tiny ten year old harddrives, or have you some weird aversion to using folders or something?

Nope i've got 2 internal hard drives that are partioned and external USB drive ;-)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …2339
      2. Oh deer.. looks like they are back sooner this year.2438
      3. Aloha! Flamedeer Vacation is LIVE (until August 28th at 5pm)1314
      4. Anyone else used www.completesavings.co.uk44

See more discussions