Expired

What does viewing angle 178/178 mean?

Found 2nd Sep 2011
Looking at buying a telly, the bigger the better, but cheap as poss too. Found one I fancy, 55" LCD and it says viewing angle 178/178 - what exactly does that mean? Good? Bad? Irrelevant?

Cheers.
Community Updates
Misc
12 Comments
It means if you stand at 178 degrees to the front of the TV, i.e almost side on then you will still be able to see a picture, but anymore and you won't.
bigfoot100

It means if you stand at 178 degrees to the front of the TV, i.e almost … It means if you stand at 178 degrees to the front of the TV, i.e almost side on then you will still be able to see a picture, but anymore and you won't.

Fab thanks, sounds good enough for me.
Chances are you will never sit anywhere near that far round anyway but yeah what he says.
bigfoot100

It means if you stand at 178 degrees to the front of the TV, i.e almost … It means if you stand at 178 degrees to the front of the TV, i.e almost side on then you will still be able to see a picture, but anymore and you won't.

I think you mean 89 degrees. If you were 178 to the front, you would only see the screen with a small selection of mirrors.
thesaint

I think you mean 89 degrees. If you were 178 to the front, you would … I think you mean 89 degrees. If you were 178 to the front, you would only see the screen with a small selection of mirrors.

Lol yeah didn't really think that one through :P, at least the general idea was there.
thesaint

I think you mean 89 degrees. If you were 178 to the front, you would … I think you mean 89 degrees. If you were 178 to the front, you would only see the screen with a small selection of mirrors.

also to add to that .. viewing no more than 89˚ above & below horizontal viewing line
..vertical viewing angle only really important if you have screen mounted above straight-ahead-eye-line or below straight-ahead-eye-line
Hadn't thought about that height thing - cheers. My dad's telly is on a normal stand but you can't see it unless you sit down, which is really irritating!
FrootCake

Hadn't thought about that height thing - cheers. My dad's telly is on a … Hadn't thought about that height thing - cheers. My dad's telly is on a normal stand but you can't see it unless you sit down, which is really irritating!

How often does he watch the television whilst standing up?
thesaint

How often does he watch the television whilst standing up?

That's what he said. Are you my dad? It's just irritating for OTHERS when they are pottering about and can hear but not see what's going on. Or when you stand in the kitchen doorway to make HIM a cuppa, you have to go all the way round to sit down to see what's on. I had forgotten how irritating it was, now I need to make sure my purchase will suffice for me. Having just held a tape measure up to the wall though, 55" seems rather horrifically BIG!
I still don"t get it?.If the tele is east/west and i am looking at the screen full on from the north and i turn the tele east or west 178 to the south,how many degrees from the north would it be? and could i still be able to watch it.
tmorgans7

I still don"t get it?.If the tele is east/west and i am looking at the … I still don"t get it?.If the tele is east/west and i am looking at the screen full on from the north and i turn the tele east or west 178 to the south,how many degrees from the north would it be? and could i still be able to watch it.

My head hurts.
thesaint

No He is right 178 180 degrees means you are standing on the sideand if you look at the picture you can still see a decent pict 90 degrees means you are directly in front of the tv.So when you walk to the side 178 degrees means you will not lose quality in that spot.
thanks Len

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Merchants