What dog food do your feed your dog

Found 8th Jul 2016
I'm looking to change the dogs food i think he's bored with it so what do you feed you best friend ,i have been to the supermarket and it's all the same old same old so looking for ideas
Community Updates
34 Comments
Banned
Royal Canin dry food with a bit of water in it twice daily & a couple of treats a day.
We feed ours tailored food from tails.com
You enter all the information about your dog and they tailor the ingredients to suit
I second tails always on time and my dog loves them
go to a decent independant pet shop you can get all kinds from them plus proper advice
kracker69

I'm looking to change the dogs food i think he's bored with it so what do … I'm looking to change the dogs food i think he's bored with it so what do you feed you best friend ,i have been to the supermarket and it's all the same old same old so looking for ideas

Introduce the new variety slowly, ideally mixing the existing brand with the new brand in increasingly larger percentages over a couple of days, so that your dog does not get a sudden shock to his digestive system.

My dogs used to be fed tinned Lily's Kitchen dog food.

Since all my dogs went to bark at sheep in the clouds*, I feed supermarket own brand dog food to my garden fox family (Mum, Dad, & three cubs this year).

* Do Android users dream of Apple sheep? (Apologies to the [random access] memory of Philip K. Dick)
Arden grange n no tit bits , also feed Arden grange treats throughout day!
Happy healthy and always eager to plz me ! No wind and never upset belly !
Got a lab feed her pedigree cans gravy or jelly in morning n pedigree dry food pm .... But as a treat she has chappy chicken n rice ..... She absolutely loves and it's good for her tummy ( vets recommended)
What kind of dog do you have, does he have any health issues?
If you are looking for a dog food then have a look at this site.

allaboutdogfood.co.uk/the…ory

It lists most dog foods and anything not there can be checked using the instant review generator.

I feed my 15 month old Labrador on Millies Wolfheart which is one of the best quality foods available. It has good quality ingredients in it and is not full of fillers. She has a combination of their dry and wet. It works out about 90p a day (excluding their treats) to feed her which is very reasonable for a good quality food. If I buy 2 of the large bags together it works out cheaper.

I would stay away from Royal canin, pedigree, hills etc as they are very bad quality. Yes the dog will eat them but it won't be doing them any good. If you look them up on the site mentioned you will see why they are so bad.

Most of the foods available from a supermarket will be crap. There are lots of good quality foods out there, you generally find that the better quality ones have smaller feeding portions so work out good value.

I don't agree with feeding a dog rubbish food unless it's absolutely necessary, for example if the dog will only tolerate that food

Edited by: "takethatfan1978" 8th Jul 2016
My staffie's daily diet is:

- Very small portion of dry food (Wagg Complete Kennel w/ Chicken & Veg) for his breakfast (after his morning walk).
- Small amount of cornflakes and full fat milk after I've had my breakfast - provided he wasn't bad on his walk (he would absolutely sell his soul for his cornflakes!)
- Basic white rice with ~100g cooked meat (whatever I have picked up cheap in the supermarket: sausages, liver, heart, black pudding, chicken, pork, etc) and finely diced carrot with a tablespoon of olive oil for his dinner (really enjoys it)
- Very small portion of dry food last thing at night after his late night toilet break (almost always seems ravenous last thing despite his large dinner)

The one key thing I have found is that when cooking the rice, do so for plenty of time - I used to do it for the recommended 15 minutes and he would often produce "Mr Whippies", but now I do it for 25-35 minutes and it's very, very, very rarely a messy event.

I'm guessing somebody will now tell me I'm doing him terrible damage!
we use tails as well.. you get a free two week trial for £1 it's a massive bag!
Original Poster
takethatfan1978

If you are looking for a dog food then have a look at this … If you are looking for a dog food then have a look at this site.http://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/the-dog-food-directoryIt lists most dog foods and anything not there can be checked using the instant review generator. I feed my 15 month old Labrador on Millies Wolfheart which is one of the best quality foods available. It has good quality ingredients in it and is not full of fillers. She has a combination of their dry and wet. It works out about 90p a day (excluding their treats) to feed her which is very reasonable for a good quality food. If I buy 2 of the large bags together it works out cheaper. I would stay away from Royal canin, pedigree, hills etc as they are very bad quality. Yes the dog will eat them but it won't be doing them any good. If you look them up on the site mentioned you will see why they are so bad.Most of the foods available from a supermarket will be crap. There are lots of good quality foods out there, you generally find that the better quality ones have smaller feeding portions so work out good value. I don't agree with feeding a dog rubbish food unless it's absolutely necessary, for example if the dog will only tolerate that food

cheers takethatfan i have used the mentioned site before ,and have stopped people in the shops who pick up the Bakers and pedigree and pointed them in the direction of the site .my dog has been eating Autarky from Costco which has a decent score but i'm not sure if he's bored or just waiting to see what the kids leave 7 and 5 year olds .but i'm keen try something else .....
kracker69

cheers takethatfan i have used the mentioned site before ,and have … cheers takethatfan i have used the mentioned site before ,and have stopped people in the shops who pick up the Bakers and pedigree and pointed them in the direction of the site .my dog has been eating Autarky from Costco which has a decent score but i'm not sure if he's bored or just waiting to see what the kids leave 7 and 5 year olds .but i'm keen try something else .....

It's a very good site and I try and direct a lot of people to it especially when I hear some do the rubbish they feed their dogs.

Hopefully you find something he likes My girl loves her Millies Wolfheart , currently on the countryside mix but has tried a few of them

Maybe something with a higher meat content may appeal to him more,

My girl also likes to hover around after meals to find out if the kids have left anything X)

Edited by: "takethatfan1978" 8th Jul 2016
YouDontWantToKnow

Royal Canin dry food with a bit of water in it twice daily & a couple of … Royal Canin dry food with a bit of water in it twice daily & a couple of treats a day.

Same here, but we've switched to the 'light' variety to help keep the porker's weight down.
Banned
Spango

Same here, but we've switched to the 'light' variety to help keep the … Same here, but we've switched to the 'light' variety to help keep the porker's weight down.

One chewy treat for his teeth & one treat for munchies & training
I use Burgess supadog light for our terrier, when we 1st got him from the rspca he was a very fussy eater used Royal canin for a while but it's quite pricey found this at less than half the price, dog loves it & has been on it for the last few years, he used to have quite bad gass and this has solved that and also helps keep his weight down, can't fault it.
Edited by: "davzzp" 8th Jul 2016
asda soft one mixed with mini bonio, and raw carrots as treats
James Wellbeloved with water in the morning and a small tin of chappy in the evening for a Lab cross (with Staffie)
Eden, totally grain free, no nasties in at all. We have been feeding our old Tyme bulldog it for 3 years she's never been ill once, no ear infections or skin issues, paw chewing, which can often be caused by grains in the food which are just cheap fillers. It's quite expensive but lasts much longer than cheaper ones as you don't need to feed as much.
fanpages

...My dogs used to be fed tinned Lily's Kitchen dog food....

takethatfan1978

If you are looking for a dog food then have a look at this … If you are looking for a dog food then have a look at this site.http://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/the-dog-food-directory...

[ allaboutdogfood.co.uk/dog…ice ]

Rating: 4.6 out of 5
fanpages

...My dogs used to be fed tinned Lily's Kitchen dog food....

takethatfan1978

If you are looking for a dog food then have a look at this … If you are looking for a dog food then have a look at this site.http://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/the-dog-food-directory...

There are a lot of decent dog foods out there both wet and dry, I think I studied that site for around 3 weeks prior to picking up our new pup.
I use this

allaboutdogfood.co.uk/dog…mix Previously used the turkey and veg

And also these

allaboutdogfood.co.uk/dog…ete

Both very good and my dog loves them, no grains and plenty of good meat.

My mum uses Lily's kitchen for her two dogs
Edited by: "takethatfan1978" 9th Jul 2016
surfbabe10

Eden, totally grain free, no nasties in at all. We have been feeding our … Eden, totally grain free, no nasties in at all. We have been feeding our old Tyme bulldog it for 3 years she's never been ill once, no ear infections or skin issues, paw chewing, which can often be caused by grains in the food which are just cheap fillers. It's quite expensive but lasts much longer than cheaper ones as you don't need to feed as much.

Glad to hear there is someone else here who cares about what their dog is eating
By all means feed your dog things other than the 'big' brands, but going out of your way to tell other people they're killing their dogs or looking down on others makes you as bad as a vegan. Get a life. (not the OP specifically, just a couple of the comments).
SteveDave4

By all means feed your dog things other than the 'big' brands, but going … By all means feed your dog things other than the 'big' brands, but going out of your way to tell other people they're killing their dogs or looking down on others makes you as bad as a vegan. Get a life. (not the OP specifically, just a couple of the comments).

There's no one telling anyone that they're killing their dogs! Merely pointing out that there are some foods better than others. It's down to the individual at the end of the day however I would rather do the research and feed something decent.

There's no need to feed rubbish with all the information and different foods out there, it's not even down to cost most of the time. The amount of money some people spend buying the crap can be spent on getting something decent.

Better food,cheaper overall and less output

Rubbish food,spend a lot of money and shovel up loads of crap.

And thank you,yes I have a life. Just because I choose to pay attention to what my dog eats does not make me as bad as a vegan!

Edited by: "takethatfan1978" 9th Jul 2016
Akela....its a five star rated kibble on allaboutdogfood.com but its a bit cheaper than Eden, Aatu and Millies Wolfheart. He gets tripe and fresh chicken every so often too. His favourite past time though seems to be eating vile things off the floor when out walking and anything the kids drop!
ilovepinkmilk

Akela....its a five star rated kibble on allaboutdogfood.com but its a … Akela....its a five star rated kibble on allaboutdogfood.com but its a bit cheaper than Eden, Aatu and Millies Wolfheart. He also gets tripe and fresh chicken. He also loves to eat gross things off the floor when out walking and anything the kids drop

fresh chicken and raw beef go down well with my girl have not tried the tripe lol

She also likes to try and be the Hoover X)

We were given some samples of Akela, it's very good
SteveDave4

By all means feed your dog things other than the 'big' brands, but going … By all means feed your dog things other than the 'big' brands, but going out of your way to tell other people they're killing their dogs or looking down on others makes you as bad as a vegan. Get a life. (not the OP specifically, just a couple of the comments).

You don't favour a vegan diet? Are you looking down on others that do?
Dr Johns gold £11.50 for 15kg.
fanpages

You don't favour a vegan diet? Are you looking down on others that do?

I don't favour it, no. I'm looking down on sanctimonious vegans, not ones who get on with things and don't preach.
I feed my lab Acana which he loves but I can't believe 6 years ago I feed my now passed away Collie Bakers and Pedigree thinking i was feeding him well, I now feel sad that I didn't take a little time to research like I do now and it costs about the same and if you catch a deal it's much cheaper, now all my friends and family have there dogs on good food and all say there animals have no skin problems and behaviour is better.
My girls were on a very good quality food and loved it, they are now on raw food and I'm glad I changed them over Would always recommend the food they were on previously though and would be happy to use it again if I had to
12Mummysaltash8th Jul 2016

Arden grange n no tit bits , also feed Arden grange treats throughout day! …Arden grange n no tit bits , also feed Arden grange treats throughout day! Happy healthy and always eager to plz me ! No wind and never upset belly !

+1. Also feed my Lab Arden Grange. Got in on subscribe & save on Amazon
Check out Landywoods.co.uk for very reasonably priced natural foods made from fresh meat.
James Wellbeloved Adult Turkey & Rice dry food for my lab, went through quite a few brands when we first got him and this is what agrees with him.
Less than £40 delivered for 15kg, often 18kg promos on for same price zooplus.co.uk/sho…dry

I'd speak with your vet, see what they recommend though.
Edited by: "andynicol" 16th Aug 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants