Expired

What else are Grey Peas called?

Found 8th Nov 2011
My OH loves grey peas & bacon bits, ive searched everywhere and cant seem to find them. Isthere another name for them or a substitute?
Just had a quick look on net and it seems to be a Black Country recipe
Community Updates
Misc
33 Comments
well ive never heard of them...
plumberman01

Makes two of us lol..Heard of black eyed peas but not grey peas X)

plumberman01

plumberman01

It makes 3 of us, ive not heard of 'em but have got to cook them
you mean dried peas? thats the greyest i can think of

uk.answers.yahoo.com/que…Vjv
Edited by: "Nailez" 8th Nov 2011
shopstilldrops

Makes two of us lol..Heard of black eyed peas but not grey peas X)

haha funnily enough i think theyre the same thing minus the singing lol...also known as field peas (googled or as we say 'we smurfed it' lol)
Nailez

you mean dried peas? thats the greyest i can think of

they are a brown ish colour
Also known as parching peas, black peas, maple peas, carlings or pigeon peas..

According to the website I got the info off, you can use yellow split peas as a substitute.. I posted a comment witht he link but it was sent for moderation, I presume because of the link and the fact I'm a new member
Grey Peas and Bacon

1 lb dried grey peas
1 large sliced onion
3 oz Pearl Barley
Salt and Pepper
1 lb bacon
1 litre of stock

Soak the peas and pearl barley overnight and then place in a saucepan with the onion, previously browned bacon and salt and pepper. Cook slowly for three hours. (In our experience the bacon is chopped into small pieces before browning).

Edited by: "wishihadadonkey" 8th Nov 2011
Yummy grey peas one of my favourite meals. Try dried grey peas (or split yellow peas). Are you anywhere near Bilston? Most of the butchers sell them and you can get them off the market which is open Monday, Thursday and Friday. Good luck
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=56

i think these would be the nearest thing...and would be yummy!
Hessen

Also known as parching peas, black peas, maple peas, carlings or pigeon … Also known as parching peas, black peas, maple peas, carlings or pigeon peas..According to the website I got the info off, you can use yellow split peas as a substitute.. I posted a comment witht he link but it was sent for moderation, I presume because of the link and the fact I'm a new member

cheers will try some of them !
wishihadadonkey

Grey Peas and Bacon1 lb dried grey peas 1 large sliced onion 3 oz Pearl … Grey Peas and Bacon1 lb dried grey peas 1 large sliced onion 3 oz Pearl Barley Salt and Pepper 1 lb bacon Soak the peas and pearl barley overnight and then place in a saucepan with the onion, previously browned bacon and salt and pepper. Cook slowly for three hours. (In our experience the bacon is chopped into small pieces before browning).

your recipe sounds more tasty, will be giving that a try
other name for them, pigeon peas, you can also use yellow split peas.
Sorry but its all becoming too much and too wierd now..... peas are meant to be green!!
smithwolves

Yummy grey peas one of my favourite meals. Try dried grey peas (or split … Yummy grey peas one of my favourite meals. Try dried grey peas (or split yellow peas). Are you anywhere near Bilston? Most of the butchers sell them and you can get them off the market which is open Monday, Thursday and Friday. Good luck

OH is from Wolves so his sis got some from Willenhall, we live in Rugeley and no-one ever heard of them. Long way to Wolves everytime i want to cook it thou
plumberman01

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=56i think these … http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=56i think these would be the nearest thing...and would be yummy!

Will send you a sample
Also known as pigeon peas, grey peas are a relatively unknown pea. They are actually a bean, and are called peas because of their size. They are white or light green to brown in color and may have brown freckles. They turn a brownish grey when cooked and produce a residue of the same color, which is how grey peas got their name. Grey peas cook much the same way as other legumes.
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=537532

lol v funny!
nattynatty

they are a brown ish colour

Are you thinking of lentils and bacon?

http://static.tastykitchen.com/recipes/files/2011/01/lentils-with-bacon-410x273.jpg
Plum

Are you thinking of lentils and bacon?

No just grey peas & bacon bits, wishihadadonkey has posted the perfect recipe.
The Great Western pub in Wolves does a mean Grey Peas & Bacon. Real nice on a wintery day, esp with a pint!

Where you from OP? we have black peas on bonfire night but this is a very local speciality.
"Om avin gray pays an bercon tonight..bostin !"
nattynatty

No just grey peas & bacon bits, wishihadadonkey has posted the perfect … No just grey peas & bacon bits, wishihadadonkey has posted the perfect recipe.

Oh you mean Gungo peas! Yum.
smithwolves

Yummy grey peas one of my favourite meals. Try dried grey peas (or split … Yummy grey peas one of my favourite meals. Try dried grey peas (or split yellow peas). Are you anywhere near Bilston? Most of the butchers sell them and you can get them off the market which is open Monday, Thursday and Friday. Good luck

smithwolves

That's the peas, they are also known as Grey Farters
Im in Rugeley, very small town. Will have a look for the some with the other names people have suggested, if not will have to stock up when im at the In-Laws house!
Thanx for you help guys

are these also called parched peas? i looked everywhere before bonfire night for them, no one here has heard off them-gutted!

MinstrelMan

Where you from OP? we have black peas on bonfire night but this is a very … Where you from OP? we have black peas on bonfire night but this is a very local speciality.

Grey peas? Do you mean pebbles?
When my mom moved up north from the black country she couldn't find "grey peas" After some research I descovered they are also known as "pigeon peas" or "maypole peas" as way back when'many homes in the black country kept pigeons in the back yard/garden. People used them as they were very inexpensive and full of protein. With this in mind' my mom popped into the local pet shop and purchased a bag of maypole peas. She can now enjoy her favourite "gray pees n bercon" when ever she wants.
blackcountrylass1

When my mom moved up north from the black country she couldn't find "grey … When my mom moved up north from the black country she couldn't find "grey peas" After some research I descovered they are also known as "pigeon peas" or "maypole peas" as way back when'many homes in the black country kept pigeons in the back yard/garden. People used them as they were very inexpensive and full of protein. With this in mind' my mom popped into the local pet shop and purchased a bag of maypole peas. She can now enjoy her favourite "gray pees n bercon" when ever she wants.

Is "descovered" black country-speak for "found"?

For example, I descovered a thread from 2.5 years ago?

Thanks for contributing in any respect.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/69/Black_Country_Flag.svg/450px-Black_Country_Flag.svg.png
fanpages

Is "descovered" black country-speak for "found"?For example, I descovered … Is "descovered" black country-speak for "found"?For example, I descovered a thread from 2.5 years ago?Thanks for contributing in any respect.

If you had any inkling of Black Country dialect then you may very well have thought twice before posting the usual sarcastic response for a typo. A lot of Black Country folk do spell phonetically and also differently. A truly old dialect with a lot of history.
Yow shud stop tekkin the **** an dow be so soft. Cust yow bay eny more yampy? Weem living in a bostin plairce full of istory yow shud tek a luk before yow chunter on chap.
Edited by: "FearTheBassPlayer" 27th May 2014
FearTheBassPlayer

If you had any inkling of Black Country dialect then you may very well … If you had any inkling of Black Country dialect then you may very well have thought twice before posting the usual sarcastic response for a typo...

Nope. I treat everybody the same. It's fairer that way.
Thanks for the background info on the gray peas. I use them in broths , stews, etc with other pulses .

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions