What exam qualification was available in 1982

Found 20th Feb 2015
I have a co-worker who has been filling out an application form and has put down a grade C for English. But she hasn't put what exam paper it was.
She has trouble spelling a two letter word. ( iff )

I assume it was the equivalent to a G.C.S.E.

I can't imagine someone could achieve a grade c in English with poor spelling. Or was it possible?
Community Updates
Ask
34 Comments
maybe O-Level

IIRC GCSE had a different grading system

but it's so long since I was at school

EliTom
GCSE or CSE would be likely. Correct spelling is not a good judge of someone's command of the English language, nor would it stop anyone from getting a C or higher mark.
16 year old children in the UK had a choice of either GCE 'O' Level or CSEs in 1982 . CSEs were for the less academically able pupils and a Grade 1 in a CSE would be about a C in an 'O' Level. An A/A* in modern GCSEs would be about a B in 'O' levels. A '3 in a CSE would probably be an E/F in a GCSE.

However, I'd be shocked if I was asked for the grades of qualifications at this level from 30+ years ago. Surely, they are capable of using a spellchecker now and spelling isn't as important...
Edited by: "IamMT" 20th Feb 2015
Tony68k

GCSE or CSE would be likely. Correct spelling is not a good judge of … GCSE or CSE would be likely. Correct spelling is not a good judge of someone's command of the English language, nor would it stop anyone from getting a C or higher mark.

GCSEs first started to be phased in in 1986, so she wouldn't have taken those - most likely O-Level or CSE, O-Level being the "higher" level of qualification and CSE open to all.
O-Levels were graded A - E and were still taught in '82. There were also CSE's graded 1 - 5.
My employer is huge, before perspective employees reach my department the HR department vet the candidates. The usual check the certificates, work history etc.

They say there are so many "non-genuine" certificates for O and A levels, GCSE's etc. that you cant really tell what anyone has!

If they are professionals and say they hold professional qualification/registrations that can be checked but beyond it appears to be fair game for whatever certificates you have, regardless if you passed the exam or paid for them!
Ar460rn

O-Levels were graded A - E and were still taught in '82. There were also … O-Levels were graded A - E and were still taught in '82. There were also CSE's graded 1 - 5.

Ah, I forgot that CSEs were grade 1 etc. Thus it must be a GCE
Not necessarily. A grade 1 CSE was at often taken as an O Level pass at the time, and a LOT of owners of a CSE grade 1 consider it a pass at O Level (which it isn't).

In my experience over time individuals forget what they got and when but recall 'passing my English'. It causes lots of problems in recruitment and entry criteria for courses at colleges and universities.
IamMT

Ah, I forgot that CSEs were grade 1 etc. Thus it must be a GCE

that's it .... O-Level and CSE

did GCSE not replace both?

OMG this is so long ago now - did my O-Levels in late 70's

EliTom
this is ridiculous if they are capable of the job give it to them if not don't I really don't see any relevance from a 30 plus year school exam grade don't you ask them anything else maybe have they got experience can they do the tasks involved I'm sure if you talk to them you would know if they can do the job or not maybe get them to do a job for a bit. All this nonsense about grades is well nonsense
muddassarsardar

this is ridiculous if they are capable of the job give it to them if not … this is ridiculous if they are capable of the job give it to them if not don't I really don't see any relevance from a 30 plus year school exam grade don't you ask them anything else maybe have they got experience can they do the tasks involved I'm sure if you talk to them you would know if they can do the job or not maybe get them to do a job for a bit. All this nonsense about grades is well nonsense

The ability to correctly use grammar is important in most jobs.

And many roles have entry criteria in all sorts of areas, not just qualifications. And as many jobs include additional training and qualifications as part of the role, which costs the employer time and money, an indication of past experiences and academic achievement are an essential part of building up the profile of applicants.

For instance, you wouldn't pass my first round of screening if your application was as proficient as your post. Just sayin' like....
Dabooka

The ability to correctly use grammar is important in most jobs.And many … The ability to correctly use grammar is important in most jobs.And many roles have entry criteria in all sorts of areas, not just qualifications. And as many jobs include additional training and qualifications as part of the role, which costs the employer time and money, an indication of past experiences and academic achievement are an essential part of building up the profile of applicants.For instance, you wouldn't pass my first round of screening if your application was as proficient as your post. Just sayin' like....

I contest this, I've read too many Yahoo articles to believe that.
They would make the Company look very unprofessional if they sent out emails with loads of basic spelling mistakes.

That's my opinion!
Edited by: "goldengirlz" 20th Feb 2015
elitom

that's it .... O-Level and CSEdid GCSE not replace both?OMG this is so … that's it .... O-Level and CSEdid GCSE not replace both?OMG this is so long ago now - did my O-Levels in late 70's :oEliTom

Yes, GCSE replaced both and thus tends to cover a broader academic range...
There was for a while a sort of composite exam which was referred to as the 16+ (not sure if that was the proper name).
You did a single exam but were graded for both CSE and GCE.
Dabooka

The ability to correctly use grammar is important in most jobs.And many … The ability to correctly use grammar is important in most jobs.And many roles have entry criteria in all sorts of areas, not just qualifications. And as many jobs include additional training and qualifications as part of the role, which costs the employer time and money, an indication of past experiences and academic achievement are an essential part of building up the profile of applicants. For instance, you wouldn't pass my first round of screening if your application was as proficient as your post. Just sayin' like....

- Overuse of 'And' to start a sentence...
Perhaps it is a grade C for English Literature rather than English Language... The literature syllabus for 'O' Level included quite a lot of Chaucer and Shakespeare that may lead to the OP's co-worker to have adopted older spellings of words that are not included in a modern spell-checker.
Edited by: "IamMT" 20th Feb 2015
People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones

Far more grammatical errors in the OP than one simple typo.

Maybe you should give her / him your job if that's how you appraise prospective employees!

In 1982, it was CSE grades 1 to 5 and GCE 'O' levels graded A to F (fail). 'O' level English language at grade C was far harder to achieve than a GCSE grade 'C'.

Edited by: "chocci" 20th Feb 2015
Dabooka

The ability to correctly use grammar is important in most jobs.And many … The ability to correctly use grammar is important in most jobs.And many roles have entry criteria in all sorts of areas, not just qualifications. And as many jobs include additional training and qualifications as part of the role, which costs the employer time and money, an indication of past experiences and academic achievement are an essential part of building up the profile of applicants.For instance, you wouldn't pass my first round of screening if your application was as proficient as your post. Just sayin' like....

Would you employ people who make basic English mistakes like starting a sentence with 'And'?
Guilty as charged! The challenges of writing responses on a phone with my 3 yr old under my feet, it takes me too long to write a reply!

However the main premise of my response is sound, there's lots of reasons for assessing quals, and paragraphs lacking punctuation will always put an application in my bin.
Dabooka

Guilty as charged! The challenges of writing responses on a phone with my … Guilty as charged! The challenges of writing responses on a phone with my 3 yr old under my feet, it takes me too long to write a reply!However the main premise of my response is sound, there's lots of reasons for assessing quals, and paragraphs lacking punctuation will always put an application in my bin.

LOL @ blaming your phone and child!

p.s. All of the above does not apply if your qualifications were gained in Scotland, where at that time it would have been O Grades and Highers.
Id hardly call such an old qualification relevant to an vacant position unless it was used as a device to reduce the number of applicants via a points system the HR department wished to trawl through.Many applicants use others to format and correct their CV these days so judging said people using grammar and spelling is usually a waste of time and many candidates these days may not have English as their first language so your introducing a bias to the vacancy.
Edited by: "arachnoid" 20th Feb 2015
Dabooka

You must feel really stupid...

Who uses 'And' to start a sentence that many times?
Really stupid? No. A little bit foolish maybe, but it's the Internet so I won't lose any sleep.
Your other point is being recycled from a previous post, but point taken.

Any comment regarding the OP's actual question though?
Original Poster

Comment

IamMT

16 year old children in the UK had a choice of either GCE 'O' Level or … 16 year old children in the UK had a choice of either GCE 'O' Level or CSEs in 1982 . CSEs were for the less academically able pupils and a Grade 1 in a CSE would be about a C in an 'O' Level. An A/A* in modern GCSEs would be about a B in 'O' levels. A '3 in a CSE would probably be an E/F in a GCSE. However, I'd be shocked if I was asked for the grades of qualifications at this level from 30+ years ago. Surely, they are capable of using a spellchecker now and spelling isn't as important...

I've told her before that she was spelling if wrong. She looked at me in disbelief and laughed it off as if I was joking. She is exactly the same on text messages.
Its 30+ years later and you expect her to have good written English?
joxeruk2000

CommentI've told her before that she was spelling if wrong. She looked at … CommentI've told her before that she was spelling if wrong. She looked at me in disbelief and laughed it off as if I was joking. She is exactly the same on text messages.

Dyslexic?
I agree that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones but hasn't anyone heard of split infinitives if we're going to be picky?!
joxeruk2000

CommentI've told her before that she was spelling if wrong. She looked at … CommentI've told her before that she was spelling if wrong. She looked at me in disbelief and laughed it off as if I was joking. She is exactly the same on text messages.

Well if majority of the texts she sends is more or less accurate then a simple two letter word is more likely to be a typo.
Dogeared

I agree that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones but hasn't … I agree that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones but hasn't anyone heard of split infinitives if we're going to be picky?!

I'd boldly go and suggest that Byron and F. Scott Fitzgerald split 'em.
MR1123

Well if majority of the texts she sends is more or less accurate then a … Well if majority of the texts she sends is more or less accurate then a simple two letter word is more likely to be a typo.

Or that she may need reading glasses for use when texting given she is likely to be in her late 40s...
cse as I am a similar age
Original Poster

Comment

muddassarsardar

this is ridiculous if they are capable of the job give it to them if not … this is ridiculous if they are capable of the job give it to them if not don't I really don't see any relevance from a 30 plus year school exam grade don't you ask them anything else maybe have they got experience can they do the tasks involved I'm sure if you talk to them you would know if they can do the job or not maybe get them to do a job for a bit. All this nonsense about grades is well nonsense

She already works with me. She's applying for another job. I'd give her about 5/10 in this job. The other job she's applying for is better hours but anyone could do it. Grades or no grades.
joxeruk2000

CommentShe already works with me. She's applying for another job. I'd … CommentShe already works with me. She's applying for another job. I'd give her about 5/10 in this job. The other job she's applying for is better hours but anyone could do it. Grades or no grades.

Sounds like you've just answered your own question then. If "anyone could do it" ie the new job then what does it matter if she can't spell (or did a typo?). What job is it exactly?? That makes a difference to our answers.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants