Expired

What factor suncream for Spain?

Found 12th Aug 2013
What factor suncream would be suitable for fair skin people who tan easily if going to the Costa Brave in Spain (2 weeks time)? Was thinking about Factor 30 - do you think that would be enough - daughter thinks that 20 would be ok. Also, have a 6 year old and usually use Factor 30 for him over here and France and seems to be ok with that - would Factor 30 be ok for Spain do you think? Any advice appreciated, thank you.

19 Comments

Factor 30 with a dollop of common sense should suffice

If fair skin, in my unprofessional opinion, go with 30.
Which part you going to?

I always use factor 50 on my kids regardless of where we are. I would rather use the strongest one for them.
Myself I use usually 20/30

Get P20 apply once in the morning and it lasts all day (available from boots Etc)

Spain in August?
Worrying.
50 for kids.
30 for you if you have to ask.

Factor 50 young kids and 30 for older (and that's in this country!). My feeling is go as high as you can, then you know that you've done your best. Not worth messing and risk damaging yourself.
Best advice is to keep covered up as much as possible, especially between 11am and 3pm.
Have a nice holiday!

Original Poster

willhay555

Spain in August?Worrying.50 for kids.30 for you if you have to ask.

Not actually going until 28th August - several reasons for that - daughter gets exam results on 22nd, enrols at college on 27th and above all, accommodation alone is just under £1000 cheaper if we go then compared to going this week!

Sophiasky

Not actually going until 28th August - several reasons for that - … Not actually going until 28th August - several reasons for that - daughter gets exam results on 22nd, enrols at college on 27th and above all, accommodation alone is just under £1000 cheaper if we go then compared to going this week!

You should always use as a high an SPF as possible,especially for young kids.
As said I use factor 50 for mine even in this country!

takethatfan1978

You should always use as a high an SPF as possible,especially for young … You should always use as a high an SPF as possible,especially for young kids.As said I use factor 50 for mine even in this country!

Huffington Article

"You shell out the big bucks for the highest SPF possible.

Many skin experts recommend using a sunscreen that carries an SPF of at least 30. So does that mean SPF 60 is twice as protective, or lasts twice as long? Nope, according to the experts. An SPF of 30, when applied in the appropriate amount, will block out about 96 percent of the sunburn-causing UVB rays from the sun, Garner says. As you go up from there, you only see a very small difference (about 98 percent with SPF 50 and still under 99 percent with SPF 75) -- there's no way to block out 100 percent of the sun's rays with sunscreen.

If you feel more comfortable with those extra couple of percentage points, go for it. But it doesn't change how often you'll need to reapply or how long you can be in the sun."

Can't recommend P20 highly enough. You only need to apply it once a day. It is a sun filter so it blocks out the harmful UV rays and allows the good ones through which means you can tan but not burn. I have been using it for years, and have never burned, even in 35 degree heat in Cyprus. Also use it on my children and have done from birth. They have never had even a little but of sunburn and one is particularly fair skinned. Also, I only have the battle once a day of putting suncream on the children!

tallpete33

Huffington Article"You shell out the big bucks for the highest SPF … Huffington Article"You shell out the big bucks for the highest SPF possible.Many skin experts recommend using a sunscreen that carries an SPF of at least 30. So does that mean SPF 60 is twice as protective, or lasts twice as long? Nope, according to the experts. An SPF of 30, when applied in the appropriate amount, will block out about 96 percent of the sunburn-causing UVB rays from the sun, Garner says. As you go up from there, you only see a very small difference (about 98 percent with SPF 50 and still under 99 percent with SPF 75) -- there's no way to block out 100 percent of the sun's rays with sunscreen.If you feel more comfortable with those extra couple of percentage points, go for it. But it doesn't change how often you'll need to reapply or how long you can be in the sun."

When it comes to my kids then yes I would rather have the couple of extra points and pay the bit extra. To be honest the SPF 50 is not usually that much more expensive. I simply look for the deals.

I never once mentioned about how often I applied the cream or time in the sun. I reapply the lotion as often as possible,would rather be making sure my kids had the highest protection that I can get.

Each to their own.

takethatfan1978

When it comes to my kids then yes I would rather have the couple of extra … When it comes to my kids then yes I would rather have the couple of extra points and pay the bit extra. To be honest the SPF 50 is not usually that much more expensive. I simply look for the deals.I never once mentioned about how often I applied the cream or time in the sun. I reapply the lotion as often as possible,would rather be making sure my kids had the highest protection that I can get.Each to their own.

I wasn't knocking your choice of choosing Factor 50, as you say each to their own and it's better to use too much than too little but you can overdo it. Kids do need some exposure to the sun to build up a resistance and get some vitamin D into their bones

tallpete33

I wasn't knocking your choice of choosing Factor 50, as you say each to … I wasn't knocking your choice of choosing Factor 50, as you say each to their own and it's better to use too much than too little but you can overdo it. Kids do need some exposure to the sun to build up a resistance and get some vitamin D into their bones

Why thank you for your words of wisdom but I do know all that and they get plenty of exposure to the sun. They also get plenty of sun cream applied when needed,after all young kids can't do it themselves.

I have worked for the last 6 years looking after people with cancer so I am wary when out in the sun as I see on a regular basis the damage that using little or no sun cream can do to people.

Edited by: "takethatfan1978" 12th Aug 2013

There's no real need to go as high as 50, as long as it's above 15 and applied frequently.

Current NHS advice

Original Poster

nhoops

Can't recommend P20 highly enough. You only need to apply it once a day. … Can't recommend P20 highly enough. You only need to apply it once a day. It is a sun filter so it blocks out the harmful UV rays and allows the good ones through which means you can tan but not burn. I have been using it for years, and have never burned, even in 35 degree heat in Cyprus. Also use it on my children and have done from birth. They have never had even a little but of sunburn and one is particularly fair skinned. Also, I only have the battle once a day of putting suncream on the children!

I've read several comments on here over the past couple of months about P20 and at one point even went in to the shop to buy some, but came away wondering if the claims about it really were as good as people made out. Did your children actually use it in a 35 degree heat in Cyprus as well? From what I remember it comes in a cream and a spray oil type - which type do you actually use (just wondering if there is a lot of wastage with one that sprays out an oil)? Thank you.

Original Poster

Sophiasky

I've read several comments on here over the past couple of months about … I've read several comments on here over the past couple of months about P20 and at one point even went in to the shop to buy some, but came away wondering if the claims about it really were as good as people made out. Did your children actually use it in a 35 degree heat in Cyprus as well? From what I remember it comes in a cream and a spray oil type - which type do you actually use (just wondering if there is a lot of wastage with one that sprays out an oil)? Thank you.

Sorry, forgot to add - I'm sure that I read that it does not protect you for too long if you are in and out of a pool/sea (a couple of hours only?) - did you find this?

I've read several comments on here over the past couple of months about P20 and at one point even went in to the shop to buy some, but came away wondering if the claims about it really were as good as people made out. Did your children actually use it in a 35 degree heat in Cyprus as well? From what I remember it comes in a cream and a spray oil type - which type do you actually use (just wondering if there is a lot of wastage with one that sprays out an oil)? Thank you.[/quote]

Sorry, forgot to add - I'm sure that I read that it does not protect you for too long if you are in and out of a pool/sea (a couple of hours only?) - did you find this?[/quote]

Hiya, my children weren't on that holiday but they did use it in 30degree heat in Menorca when they were babies. P20 covers you for (I believe) 80 minutes in the water, however I have only ever applied it once a day on myself or my children and have never had any sunburn whilst using it. To be honest I have never timed how long we actually spend in the water! It now comes in factor 20 lotion (which is more like a kind of oil) and factor 30 spray (also an oil.) I use the factor 30 spray on the children as it is much easier to apply and far less wastage as it sprays on quite evenly and I just give it a quick rub over to make sure they are covered. The lotion I find goes on a bit clumpy and I tend to get through it a lot quicker. As I said, I cannot recommend it highly enough and I would never even consider using anything else for myself or my children as if used correctly I think it offers the best protection (apart from spending your entire holiday in the shade!!)
Have a great holiday!

Sorry, should also have said that it is pretty waterproof as it bonds to the skin. This is why you need to apply it and then wait for 10 mins before going in the sun. It takes that time to bond to the skin which makes it super waterproof.

The reason I know it works for me is that the first time I applied it I managed to miss 2 stripes on my leg and after spending a whole day in the sun I had 2 very red stripes on my leg, which showed that the rest of me would have been that colour too after 8 hours of sunshine! Ouch!

Original Poster

It does sound really good but the only negative thing is about 80 mins in water,I know that my teenagers spend longer than that in the water.
Post a comment
@
    Text