Expired

What fish can go in a Coldwater Fish Tank?

Found 19th Feb 2012
Have 2 fancy goldfish in mine, Had them for nearly 2 years.

What other coldwater fish are there? Any what mix with 2 goldfish at all?

Thanks.
Community Updates
  1. Misc
  2. Aquarium
22 Comments
I would leave them as they are...
Original Poster
Yeah and then you read Yahoo Answers and other sites and they say you cant have this and that it's tropical etc etc lol

Hoping someone who owns/knows about fish keeping can give me a good indication
Dan2008

Yeah and then you read Yahoo Answers and other sites and they say you … Yeah and then you read Yahoo Answers and other sites and they say you cant have this and that it's tropical etc etc lolHoping someone who owns/knows about fish keeping can give me a good indication

Did you even click on that link? Its got a list of all fish...And my dads a Koi keeper but can't be botherd to ask him atm
Original Poster
Yeah but that doesn't help in the slightest.
More info is needed if you want a serious answer - like size of tank for a start.
Dan2008

Yeah but that doesn't help in the slightest.

"What other coldwater fish are there?" Your words....
Southern redbelly dace
Lepomis
Common goldfish
Fancy goldfish
Weather loach
White Cloud Mountain Minnow
Buenos Aires tetra
Gold barb
Rosy barb
Variable platyfish
Fathead minnow
Banded corydoras
Chinese high fin banded shark
Three-spined stickleback
Ticto barb
Pygmy sunfish
Enneacanthus
Texas cichlid
Paradise fish
Green barb
Flagfish
Zebra danio
Bengal danio
GloFish
Leopard danio
Bulldog plec
Rhinogobius
Desert goby
Highland swordtail (Xiphophorus malinche)
Japanese ricefish
Zacco (fish)
Black lined loach (Yasuhikotakia nigrolineata)
Red shiner (Cyprinella lutrensis)
Spotted gar
Longnose gar
Rosy red minnow
Hillstream loach
Spined loach
Stone loach
Common minnow
Vietnamese cardinal minnow
GM Glowing Medaka
Gobio
Amur Bitterling
Rosy Bitterling
Light's Bitterling
Deep Bodied Bitterling
Rainbow Shiner (Notropsis chromosus)
Black shark (not to be confused with the tropical red tailed black shark)
Golden cobra snakehead
Dwarf snakehead
Rainbow snakehead
Spotted snakehead (Channa punctata)
Pearl danio
Northern snakehead...
The link Ive just sent you How does that not help!? You know what stuff it find out on your own
Guppies
Original Poster
It doesn't help because that list you have posted up clearly sais :

Note: The above contains a mix of true coldwater fish and sub-tropical fish that can survive and thrive at room temperature.

I want to know true coldwater fish, as like i said before ive searched forums etc and i find out it's tropical blah blah, That's why i posted, Hoping for serious answers to the question but nevermind.

Ask a question and get treated like sh*t, Nice one.
There are siamese fighting fish.. you can keep one of those in the same tank.. provide your goldfish dont have long fins that it could mistake for another siamese fighting fish?
Banned
Fanny fish
Plecko
http://moblog.net/media/r/a/s/rassilon7/plecko-2.jpg
I see where you are coming from, theres a lot of information out there on the internet but not all of it is suitable for you. We have a tank at work that contains 3 fancy goldfish, a weather loach and some kind of butterfly plec. Im not sure what size it is but its slightly bigger than my 64litre tank.
It depends on the size of your tank and the filtration you have. Id suggest going to your local fish store, not pets at home by the way :S, and see what they have in stock for cold water.
Ps. im pretty sure you cant put a siamese fighter in with goldfish, ive never heard it before, i have one in my tropical tank.
Depends on the size of your tank, and the size of the goldfish you have.

i.e ... more information needed.
Edited by: "gizmouk" 19th Feb 2012
Banned
Hi,
What size is your tank, also what size are your goldfish?
There are several small coldwater and subtropical fish but housing them with goldfish can often be risky, as they may act on instinct ( if it fits in their mouth , it could be an expensive snack)
Goldfish are very messy and Even fancies can grow to 20cm , so if the tank should be large enough with a good filtration system in order to house them , which is what needs to be considered first before whether you can add any other fish into it.
LouVernon

I see where you are coming from, theres a lot of information out there on … I see where you are coming from, theres a lot of information out there on the internet but not all of it is suitable for you. We have a tank at work that contains 3 fancy goldfish, a weather loach and some kind of butterfly plec. Im not sure what size it is but its slightly bigger than my 64litre tank. It depends on the size of your tank and the filtration you have. Id suggest going to your local fish store, not pets at home by the way :S, and see what they have in stock for cold water. Ps. im pretty sure you cant put a siamese fighter in with goldfish, ive never heard it before, i have one in my tropical tank.

You are right - you can't, as siamese fighting fish are from the Betta family of fish - tropical fish with a recommended water temperature of around 80F
The other issue is that they'll see the fancy goldfish, and their long fins/tail as a threat - it'll kick off like a boxing press conference
Edited by: "gizmouk" 19th Feb 2012
Dan2008

It doesn't help because that list you have posted up clearly sais :Note: … It doesn't help because that list you have posted up clearly sais :Note: The above contains a mix of true coldwater fish and sub-tropical fish that can survive and thrive at room temperature.I want to know true coldwater fish, as like i said before ive searched forums etc and i find out it's tropical blah blah, That's why i posted, Hoping for serious answers to the question but nevermind.Ask a question and get treated like sh*t, Nice one.

I was trying to give serious answers then you just shot it back in my face because i got it wrong! Like i said my dads koi keeper and knows all about that but never mind eh!
a lot of fish on that list are tropical. in nature they may be able to survive in cooler water but they will have been reared in warmer water.
sunshiner

a lot of fish on that list are tropical. in nature they may be able to … a lot of fish on that list are tropical. in nature they may be able to survive in cooler water but they will have been reared in warmer water.

Guess wiki lies then
Fish fingers.
tjack01

I have a thermostat on 26 with my gold fish which then allows me to mix … I have a thermostat on 26 with my gold fish which then allows me to mix tropical with them i have a red tailed shark, some silver thing with long barbs a large pleco a small bristlenose pleco and two Malawi Cichlid and they all live happy in a 120 lt tank.be careful with the Malawi as i also have one 'Lucifer' that bits 'eats' everything in his path so is now in Solitary. Looking for a new home if anyone wants!!!!

There is so much wrong with this I dont even know where to start. You do know there are other water parameters apart from temperature right? Besides 26 is not a good temp for goldfish, the optimum temperature for goldfish is between 20 and 22, the Malawi's should be somewhere between 24 - 26.

The Malawi's should be in a species only tank with hard alkaline water.

Honestly did you do any research before plonking a load of fish in a tank? Was your fiter even cycled before you added fish, I'd bet not.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants