What flowers for raised garden bed

Posted 21st Apr
I have a raised garden bed on the front lawn and would like to put some flowers into it. I googled some flowers for garden beds and petunias comes up as very pretty flowers, which would look great.

However, I would like flowers that would come back every year and wonder if such exists that would be suitable for a raised garden bed?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Here is a revolutionary idea, go to a garden centre, take a look and ask. What people think looks good is subjective. On another note most children know how some plants flower each year never mind if "they exist or not". Guess as a property tycoon you have never delt with a thing called a garden before, quite amazing and certainly feel this will be another series of 200 questions. On that note I would recommend plastic flowers for yourself.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 21st Apr
Surely you can just ask your Gardener what he recommends but I'm with the above...go for plastic
37 Comments
raised garden bed example

37507314-mieIE.jpg
petunias example

37507315-LtaLH.jpg
Here is a revolutionary idea, go to a garden centre, take a look and ask. What people think looks good is subjective. On another note most children know how some plants flower each year never mind if "they exist or not". Guess as a property tycoon you have never delt with a thing called a garden before, quite amazing and certainly feel this will be another series of 200 questions. On that note I would recommend plastic flowers for yourself.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 21st Apr
Surely you can just ask your Gardener what he recommends but I'm with the above...go for plastic
cecilmcroberts21/04/2019 15:17

Here is a revolutionary idea, go to a garden centre, take a look and ask. …Here is a revolutionary idea, go to a garden centre, take a look and ask. What people think looks good is subjective. On another note most children know how some plants flower each year never mind if "they exist or not". Guess as a property tycoon you have never delt with a thing called a garden before, quite amazing and certainly feel this will be another series of 200 questions. On that note I would recommend plastic flowers for yourself.

i was hoping not to have to do this and just order the flowers online. going to a garden centre would be a last resort.
mutley121/04/2019 16:27

i was hoping not to have to do this and just order the flowers online. …i was hoping not to have to do this and just order the flowers online. going to a garden centre would be a last resort.

Not a good idea - you don't sound like a gardener to me and ones from mail order need more care.

Go to a garden center and look for perenials (plants which flower each year). The often have them all together. If you find a decent garden centre, then just ask for a selection. They will be ready to plant, whereas mail order ones usually need growing on.
Pandamansays21/04/2019 16:38

Not a good idea - you don't sound like a gardener to me and ones from …Not a good idea - you don't sound like a gardener to me and ones from mail order need more care. Go to a garden center and look for perenials (plants which flower each year). The often have them all together. If you find a decent garden centre, then just ask for a selection. They will be ready to plant, whereas mail order ones usually need growing on.

thanks. i will google some 'perenials', that was the word i needed. i have never grown anything in my life! i saw flowers for sale on amazon and the reviews were very good so i thought i could buy some on there as i hate trawling around garden centres.

sounds like i may have to.
Get some yellow Loosestrife and some rose campions( pink cerise ones look great), dead easy to grow and will come back year after year in abundance, so you can seperate them and place them somewhere else in the garden
Edited by: "themachman" 21st Apr
I have several roses in our front raised bedding. They are perfect for me,low maintenance, grow every year and look great.cost more than most flowers but worth it your less than an amateur gardener like me
stuuuuuuu12 m ago

I have several roses in our front raised bedding. They are perfect for …I have several roses in our front raised bedding. They are perfect for me,low maintenance, grow every year and look great.cost more than most flowers but worth it your less than an amateur gardener like me

there are already a load of roses under the bay window and i love roses so i would get more but this raised garden bed is at the end of the front garden, next to the pavement so i am looking for low flowers that you would get in a hanging basket as that would suit the bed better because of its location.

which was why petunias appealed to me when I googles recommended flowers for raised garden bed, but then it states that these do not come back every year and i want flowers that will do so, so that i don't have to keep growing them.
Pandamansays21/04/2019 16:38

Not a good idea - you don't sound like a gardener to me and ones from …Not a good idea - you don't sound like a gardener to me and ones from mail order need more care. Go to a garden center and look for perenials (plants which flower each year). The often have them all together. If you find a decent garden centre, then just ask for a selection. They will be ready to plant, whereas mail order ones usually need growing on.

absolutely agree with this. You certainly need to go to a garden centre as they can tell you what will grow best in your area. I would say hardy geraniums but I would grow them everywhere as they are my favourite. 37508099-stiY2.jpg
psychobitchfromhell21/04/2019 17:33

absolutely agree with this. You certainly need to go to a garden centre as …absolutely agree with this. You certainly need to go to a garden centre as they can tell you what will grow best in your area. I would say hardy geraniums but I would grow them everywhere as they are my favourite. [Image]

wow, look at this, which i found when i googled hardy geranium, which is beautiful.
and hardy geraniums are perennial

37508117-sbCax.jpg
mutley15 m ago

wow, look at this, which i found when i googled hardy geranium, which is …wow, look at this, which i found when i googled hardy geranium, which is beautiful. and hardy geraniums are perennial [Image]

indeed they are. They come in all shapes and sizes and you'll find one suitable for most conditions. Any garden centre will stick a variety of different ones. Johnson's blue is a good all rounder. My absolute favorite is Ann folkard but she grows quite tall and straggly.
mutley121/04/2019 16:56

thanks. i will google some 'perenials', that was the word i needed. i …thanks. i will google some 'perenials', that was the word i needed. i have never grown anything in my life! i saw flowers for sale on amazon and the reviews were very good so i thought i could buy some on there as i hate trawling around garden centres.sounds like i may have to.

I like garden centres. Just look for the perennials and then look at the pictures on the label and pay attention to the sizes. You want higher ones at the back and lower ones at the front. If you go when it's not too busy and they are any good, they should put a selection together for you. Our local one sells them at £2.25 each or 5 for £10. I suspect you're down south, so likely to be dearer. I'd be inclined to stick some daffodil & tulip bulbs in too.

The plants which don't flower every year are called annuals, but they are useful for filling in any gaps.
May I suggest you put down some bark or similar once planted to help prevent weeds and conserve moisture.
Aubretia, geums.box hedges, geraniums, anyt
What size is the raised bed and how deep?
37509082-UQhOJ.jpg
Self raising flowers for a raised garden bed
Primulas are pretty, and increase all by themselves. Ours flowered all year. Good for packing in around other plants, as they're low slung. Less room for weeds! If you want something taller, you won't find much easier than geraniums. For very low, self spreading ground cover types, have a look at the alpines or house leeks. It's easy to dig out any failures and try something else. To keep weeds down, you can roll out some black weed fabric, which is cheap and comes on a roll, before planting. You just need to cut Xs where you want to put in a plant. It's surprisingly effective and easy.
aninginaneana21/04/2019 21:17

Primulas are pretty, and increase all by themselves. Ours flowered all …Primulas are pretty, and increase all by themselves. Ours flowered all year. Good for packing in around other plants, as they're low slung. Less room for weeds! If you want something taller, you won't find much easier than geraniums. For very low, self spreading ground cover types, have a look at the alpines or house leeks. It's easy to dig out any failures and try something else. To keep weeds down, you can roll out some black weed fabric, which is cheap and comes on a roll, before planting. You just need to cut Xs where you want to put in a plant. It's surprisingly effective and easy.

37509289-r1jC9.jpgI stole this idea from a flower show. Love houseleeks. Two pots, one inside the other
Pandamansays4 h, 5 m ago

I like garden centres. Just look for the perennials and then look at the …I like garden centres. Just look for the perennials and then look at the pictures on the label and pay attention to the sizes. You want higher ones at the back and lower ones at the front. If you go when it's not too busy and they are any good, they should put a selection together for you. Our local one sells them at £2.25 each or 5 for £10. I suspect you're down south, so likely to be dearer. I'd be inclined to stick some daffodil & tulip bulbs in too.The plants which don't flower every year are called annuals, but they are useful for filling in any gaps.May I suggest you put down some bark or similar once planted to help prevent weeds and conserve moisture.

we already have daffodils and tulips floating around as we have inherited the garden from the previous owners. except this raised garden bed, where the flowers have died and have not come back. i am looking for low level flowers, like ones you find in a hanging basket as i think they would be more suitable for the flower bed which is effectively a wall but built into a flower bed.
13norfolk1 h, 53 m ago

Aubretia, geums.box hedges, geraniums, anyt

thanks. i really like the aubretia and geraniums, they look like the sort of flowers that i am after as they look like the basket types.
thanks for your input guys.

the one thing i have learnt is that i can't just sit on me sofa and order the plants online as there are so many and i really need to go and see them, so i am going to make the effort to get to some nearby garden centres even though it's a pain.

aubretia and geraniums are the two words i have to remember for now when i go into the garden centres
mutley121/04/2019 22:00

thanks for your input guys. the one thing i have learnt is that i can't …thanks for your input guys. the one thing i have learnt is that i can't just sit on me sofa and order the plants online as there are so many and i really need to go and see them, so i am going to make the effort to get to some nearby garden centres even though it's a pain.aubretia and geraniums are the two words i have to remember for now when i go into the garden centres

Make sure you ask for hardy geraniums not pelargoniums. They are the ones you find in hanging baskets but they won't survive a frost.
psychobitchfromhell22/04/2019 03:34

Make sure you ask for hardy geraniums not pelargoniums. They are the ones …Make sure you ask for hardy geraniums not pelargoniums. They are the ones you find in hanging baskets but they won't survive a frost.

so i went to a local nursery today and the lady said that they only have annual geraniums. and the only perennial they have that are basket type flowers are pansies. the pansies look really beautiful so i think they would suit.

however, when i googled pansies on wiki, it states that they are perennial but then it waffles on about pansies not being perennial, so i am confused. are they perennial or not do you know?
mutley122/04/2019 16:03

so i went to a local nursery today and the lady said that they only have …so i went to a local nursery today and the lady said that they only have annual geraniums. and the only perennial they have that are basket type flowers are pansies. the pansies look really beautiful so i think they would suit.however, when i googled pansies on wiki, it states that they are perennial but then it waffles on about pansies not being perennial, so i am confused. are they perennial or not do you know?

they are perennial but are short lived and normally grown as annuals. They get leggy and straggly over summer and are usually at their best in spring. I have them growing in my front garden at the moment and they will probably last about another month before I replace them with petunias.
psychobitchfromhell22/04/2019 16:14

they are perennial but are short lived and normally grown as annuals. They …they are perennial but are short lived and normally grown as annuals. They get leggy and straggly over summer and are usually at their best in spring. I have them growing in my front garden at the moment and they will probably last about another month before I replace them with petunias.

this is what i am confused about. you say that they are short lived and are normally grown as annuals. that was what i read on wiki and it doesn't make any sense to me.

i don't understand what 'normally grown as annuals' mean. does it mean that although they come back, they are pretty useless when they come back, that is they don't flower so well when they come back, so people don't depend on them coming back?
mutley122/04/2019 16:39

this is what i am confused about. you say that they are short lived and …this is what i am confused about. you say that they are short lived and are normally grown as annuals. that was what i read on wiki and it doesn't make any sense to me.i don't understand what 'normally grown as annuals' mean. does it mean that although they come back, they are pretty useless when they come back, that is they don't flower so well when they come back, so people don't depend on them coming back?

pretty much so. Once the weather warms up they get very scraggly and leggy and don't look nice. People tend to pull them out once they have finished flowering as they are ten a penny to buy
mutley122/04/2019 16:39

this is what i am confused about. you say that they are short lived and …this is what i am confused about. you say that they are short lived and are normally grown as annuals. that was what i read on wiki and it doesn't make any sense to me.i don't understand what 'normally grown as annuals' mean. does it mean that although they come back, they are pretty useless when they come back, that is they don't flower so well when they come back, so people don't depend on them coming back?

37512834-NRqdA.jpgthese are a few weeks old
37512834-Y4Vf1.jpgthese are a few months old
psychobitchfromhell22/04/2019 16:42

pretty much so. Once the weather warms up they get very scraggly and leggy …pretty much so. Once the weather warms up they get very scraggly and leggy and don't look nice. People tend to pull them out once they have finished flowering as they are ten a penny to buy

yeah, they were selling them for £7.50 for 15 pots! i thought that was extraordinary value for flowers. guess they are now about to be out of season so they need to flog them.

they had loads of annual geraniums, which were really nice on the photos (none had flowered). but she didn't have any perennial geraniums, even though they had a big sign outside advertising hardy geraniums. i thought all hardy geraniums were perennial?

i googled some pics of geraniums and they look quite tall as a plant and i said to her i wanted basket type flowers. i would assume that geraniums are not basket type flowers and that they are quite tall?
mutley122/04/2019 16:48

yeah, they were selling them for £7.50 for 15 pots! i thought that was …yeah, they were selling them for £7.50 for 15 pots! i thought that was extraordinary value for flowers. guess they are now about to be out of season so they need to flog them.they had loads of annual geraniums, which were really nice on the photos (none had flowered). but she didn't have any perennial geraniums, even though they had a big sign outside advertising hardy geraniums. i thought all hardy geraniums were perennial?i googled some pics of geraniums and they look quite tall as a plant and i said to her i wanted basket type flowers. i would assume that geraniums are not basket type flowers and that they are quite tall?

they come in all shapes and sizes. If you want things that look like hanging baskets plants, you might be as well getting stuff that grows from seed and will seed itself around like marigolds or sweet Williams or snap dragons. You might even get nasturtiums to self seed down south
psychobitchfromhell6 m ago

they come in all shapes and sizes. If you want things that look like …they come in all shapes and sizes. If you want things that look like hanging baskets plants, you might be as well getting stuff that grows from seed and will seed itself around like marigolds or sweet Williams or snap dragons. You might even get nasturtiums to self seed down south

i googled the images and i really like the marigolds but i would prefer the pot as then you know for sure they will grow, whereas with seeds, it can never be certain.

i think i may have to give up on perennial as most of the pretty flowers that are basket types are annuals and the perennials tend to be taller plants that can withstand the british winter.
Did you state the size/depth of the bed? There are plenty of flowering shrubs. The smaller annuals are simply that - bedding plants that go outside from about May onwards and flower usually through to about October approx.
JimboParrot4 m ago

Did you state the size/depth of the bed? There are plenty of flowering …Did you state the size/depth of the bed? There are plenty of flowering shrubs. The smaller annuals are simply that - bedding plants that go outside from about May onwards and flower usually through to about October approx.

435cm long x 40cm high x 20cm depth
So long, but not high, and certainly not wide! 40cm high (which I would call depth) - so possibly only just over a foot of soil in there. Is it soil all the way down or is it rubble then a bit on top? Is anything growing in there currently? Some plants will just 'fall' over the edges and look quite untidy - not like the link pictures you posted above. Summer bedding would look good, but going to cost a fair bit for a 12' run.

I'm guessing it is not a raised bed as such, but the front boundary wall - two layers of brick with soil in the middle?
psychobitchfromhell21/04/2019 21:25

[Image] I stole this idea from a flower show. Love houseleeks. Two pots, …[Image] I stole this idea from a flower show. Love houseleeks. Two pots, one inside the other

37519493-dMuxR.jpgHere are some of our house leeks, which cheerfully spread in the most unwelcoming spaces. Great for filling in, and look out for when they flower, they look like something from science fiction! Thanks to psychobitchfromhell for her photo - are there any competitive gardeners on this thread? Triffid pics, anyone?
aninginaneana6 m ago

[Image] Here are some of our house leeks, which cheerfully spread in the …[Image] Here are some of our house leeks, which cheerfully spread in the most unwelcoming spaces. Great for filling in, and look out for when they flower, they look like something from science fiction! Thanks to psychobitchfromhell for her photo - are there any competitive gardeners on this thread? Triffid pics, anyone?

they are the weirdest when they flower aren't they? Lots of gardeners on this thread. It would be difficult to say who was the best. Stick around and you'll see lots of lovely pictures. My garden is new and just getting established. It will be good in a year or two
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions