what gear do bike commuters use?

Found 12th Aug
Riding E-bike 12 miles round trip, thinking bit ahead for winter, trains take too long and still be cold walking to station both ends, want to ride bike as much as possible,

What gear do you guys reccomend?
looking at shoes these seem to come up alot,
sigmasports.com/ite….ds

not worried about cost, more about watmth
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
I've yet to find anything that keeps me completely warm and dry on my bike or my motorbike in winter.
CoeK1 m ago

I've yet to find anything that keeps me completely warm and dry on my bike …I've yet to find anything that keeps me completely warm and dry on my bike or my motorbike in winter.

I too feel it's going to be impossible, what do you do to make it viable?
Creatishh12th Aug

I too feel it's going to be impossible, what do you do to make it viable?

Depends on distance. More than 30 miles I just drive.

Apart from that a good waterproof bag with work clothes in it. I don't commute daily but when I do the office having showers makes it a bit easier, I can just run out the house and get ready at work. Anywhere I have to arrive looking professional I just drive.
CoeK20 m ago

Depends on distance. More than 30 miles I just drive.Apart from that a …Depends on distance. More than 30 miles I just drive.Apart from that a good waterproof bag with work clothes in it. I don't commute daily but when I do the office having showers makes it a bit easier, I can just run out the house and get ready at work. Anywhere I have to arrive looking professional I just drive.

I mean't impossbile to wrap up where you won't feel a little cold..

trying to work out what gear to buy to stay warm as possible
Depends what you have available to you at work (lockers/showers/drying area)

Personally found full waterproof over gear too much faffing about.

As autumn comes will switch to thin tights to take edge off and can dry more quickly once at work if caught in a downpour (less worn less to dry)

If really cold and wet will go onto thick bibs (some water resistence) and I have a spare set at work to return in so I don't have to start back in something already damp and cold.

Also love my lobster gloves as by keeping fingers together they are alot warmer and I feel the cold most in my fingers (these are like marmite with others) - have a spare glove set for return ride.

Boots I presently have are completely waterproof albeit previously I would have used overshoes that did a reasonable job.

And of course a waterproof jacket that keeps the core mostly dry and perhaps will layer if very cold (not too many as you will over heat).

Edit forgot my hat which is for my ears when really cold - others wear bands.
Edited by: "Bertz99" 12th Aug
Second gear
As long as my ears are warm then I find the rest of me stays warm just because of the cycling itself . My journey is shorter but I do it in all weathers . Have a band for my ears in the snow or biting wind though .
what gear do bike commuters use?

All of them.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants