What glue to best used to fix a waterproof jacket wrist adjuster strap which has come apart?

Found 14th Mar
The wrist adjustment straps have come apart on my winter waterproof jacket. The strap adjuster flap consists of two parts. A velcro material, where the velcro hook side is still attached to the velcro loop part on the jacket. The outer part of the strap is rubber and it just flaps about. It has come away from the reverse side of the velcro hook material. Need to use a glue but unsure what to purchase and use.

Is Stormseal the best option? No idea if that is the best price for it.

Is there another product which is best suited to the job and better value?

Thanks for your help.
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
If your jackets falling apart maybe time for a new one
Just pay a £5 at a clothes repair shop
General fix it gule from pound shop.
Maybe try using the glue that comes in tent repair kits, it's made to adhere to waterproof material.
do you have a photo? i find that glue doesn't work well when you put strain on the area that you glue.

i always try to sew stuff back on to clothes as this is the best way to have a strong enough bond.
bostik thin layer of glue on both sides, let it dry ten mins and then press together.

Or you could use the stuff you iron when you turn up hems on skirts and pants etc but suspect that won't be as easy or good.
I used that stuff that comes in 2 tubes and you mix it, to fix my velcro cuff, epoxy i think its called and 18 months later its still going strong
Edited by: "ding" 15th Mar
Where are you OP? If you're in cumbria/lake district area then you're in luck.

Patagonia (the outdoor gear company) are currently running a tour where they will repair outdoor gear for free (even if it isnt their brand).

search patagonia worn wear
facebook.com/eve…46/

I'm sure they will be doing the same at other outdoor centres around the country. They will also give advice about how to repair stuff.
Original Poster
mutley114th Mar

do you have a photo? i find that glue doesn't work well when you put …do you have a photo? i find that glue doesn't work well when you put strain on the area that you glue. i always try to sew stuff back on to clothes as this is the best way to have a strong enough bond.

Inside of rubber part has come away from the material bit which has the velcro hooks on the other side (not visible as they are fixed to the velcro loops material on the jacket)
33446543-o46N9.jpg

Rubber outer part of strap:

33446543-lQyX8.jpg

Bit unsure what glue to use. Don't want it making the rubber brittle, like super glue might. Also don't really want it coming apart when washing or reproofing. The two parts were glued together when it was manufactured. Just irritating walking along and the rubber strap bits flap about.

Saw the Stormseal stuff online and wondered if that is the best option to use. Quite pricey as I'll only need to use a couple of drops. It'll probably dry up before it is needed again.
Edited by: "thetarget" 15th Mar
thetarget2 h, 2 m ago

Inside of rubber part has come away from the material bit which has the …Inside of rubber part has come away from the material bit which has the velcro hooks on the other side (not visible as they are fixed to the velcro loops material on the jacket) [Image] Rubber outside strap:[Image] Bit unsure what glue to use. Don't want it making the rubber brittle, like super glue might. Also don't really want it coming apart when washing or reproofing. The two parts were glued together when it was manufactured. Just irritating walking along and the rubber strap bits flap about.Saw the Stormseal stuff online and wondered if that is the best option to use. Quite pricey as I'll only need to use a couple of drops. It'll probably dry up before it is needed again.

loctiteproducts.com/p/c…htm

Any decent fabric glue should work fine.
thetarget4 h, 3 m ago

Inside of rubber part has come away from the material bit which has the …Inside of rubber part has come away from the material bit which has the velcro hooks on the other side (not visible as they are fixed to the velcro loops material on the jacket) [Image] Rubber outside strap:[Image] Bit unsure what glue to use. Don't want it making the rubber brittle, like super glue might. Also don't really want it coming apart when washing or reproofing. The two parts were glued together when it was manufactured. Just irritating walking along and the rubber strap bits flap about.Saw the Stormseal stuff online and wondered if that is the best option to use. Quite pricey as I'll only need to use a couple of drops. It'll probably dry up before it is needed again.

so you want to attach the inner runner strap to the jacket? does the outer rubber band stick to the inner rubber band? in the first photo, it appear there are two rubber straps, an inner one and a tougher outer one.
Original Poster
mutley11 h, 39 m ago

so you want to attach the inner runner strap to the jacket? does the …so you want to attach the inner runner strap to the jacket? does the outer rubber band stick to the inner rubber band? in the first photo, it appear there are two rubber straps, an inner one and a tougher outer one.

There is just one rubber part. In the first photo the part flush to the jacket is material with the reverse side having the velcro hooks on. The velcro is stuck together. The bit sticking up in the air is the rubber bit with the underside showing which should be attached to the material part of the adjustment strap. The second photo is just of the outside of that rubber part. The bit you'd see if you look at the jacket sleeve.

Basically the wrist strap adjuster has split apart. The non velcro side should be attached to the inside of the rubber part. Lifting the rubber part to tighten or loosen the sleeve at the wrist; the whole strap should lift away in one piece. It has happened on both sleeves. Probably not stuck together properly when manufactured.
thetarget20 m ago

There is just one rubber part. In the first photo the part flush to the …There is just one rubber part. In the first photo the part flush to the jacket is material with the reverse side having the velcro hooks on. The velcro is stuck together. The bit sticking up in the air is the rubber bit with the underside showing which should be attached to the material part of the adjustment strap. The second photo is just of the outside of that rubber part. The bit you'd see if you look at the jacket sleeve.Basically the wrist strap adjuster has split apart. The non velcro side should be attached to the inside of the rubber part. Lifting the rubber part to tighten or loosen the sleeve at the wrist; the whole strap should lift away in one piece. It has happened on both sleeves. Probably not stuck together properly when manufactured.

i see. you would need glue that will glue rubber rather than cloth as the two pieces that you want to stick together is both rubber. i don't think clothes glue will work as the material is rubber. you could use locite glue as below, but i don't know if it will hold if you put the jacket in the wash.

Original Poster
mutley131 m ago

i see. you would need glue that will glue rubber rather than cloth as the …i see. you would need glue that will glue rubber rather than cloth as the two pieces that you want to stick together is both rubber. i don't think clothes glue will work as the material is rubber. you could use locite glue as below, but i don't know if it will hold if you put the jacket in the wash.[Image]

Thanks mutley1. That is the problem. Sticking the rubber to the velcro backing material. I may just try that Stormseal stuff even though it seems quite expensive in comparison to other glues.

Other odd issue I am trying to resolve is my other waterproof jacket does not seem to want to be reproofed. Cleaned out the washing machine draw etc. Added the stuff I have used the last few times which is a 2 in 1 wash and reproof solution. Let the jacket dry and tried splashing some water on it. Water soaks straight into it. Tried a cool iron as the jacket can't be tumble dried. Still water soaks in. Tried again using washing soap nuts to clean it in the washing machine. Then used the 2 in 1 solution and same result. In the past the solution has cleaned and reproofed that jacket fine. Very odd. Unsure if reproofing solutions go off. Will have to buy a different reproofer to see if that works. Not a seam issue as I have tried splashing water on different areas of the jacket and they no longer bead off, like they used to. Just soak in.
thetarget46 m ago

Thanks mutley1. That is the problem. Sticking the rubber to the velcro …Thanks mutley1. That is the problem. Sticking the rubber to the velcro backing material. I may just try that Stormseal stuff even though it seems quite expensive in comparison to other glues. Other odd issue I am trying to resolve is my other waterproof jacket does not seem to want to be reproofed. Cleaned out the washing machine draw etc. Added the stuff I have used the last few times which is a 2 in 1 wash and reproof solution. Let the jacket dry and tried splashing some water on it. Water soaks straight into it. Tried a cool iron as the jacket can't be tumble dried. Still water soaks in. Tried again using washing soap nuts to clean it in the washing machine. Then used the 2 in 1 solution and same result. In the past the solution has cleaned and reproofed that jacket fine. Very odd. Unsure if reproofing solutions go off. Will have to buy a different reproofer to see if that works. Not a seam issue as I have tried splashing water on different areas of the jacket and they no longer bead off, like they used to. Just soak in.

The locite 60 seconds glue is around the same price as stormseal. I have not used stormseal but locite is quite strong. Still not that great if you put stress on it though. I use it to glue pretty much everything

i cant comment on water proofing clothing as i dont have any water proofs. I use an umbrella when it rains
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions