Groups

What goes with cottage pie?

Got a cottage pie from tesco. never had it before, what do you have with it?

chips? veg? beans? potatoes? pasta? garlic bread?

So, in short, what do you have with cottage pie?

31 Comments

peas/carrots

[COLOR="Red"]Veg...[/COLOR]

veg...

Banned

Why would you have chips / potatos / pasta with something that is 50% potato already?

Veg is your best bet, unless you want to look like Rik Waller.

Original Poster

thanks guys. was going to have it by itself, but it only serves one and the missus wants some too.

Green beans....yum

cauliflower and broad beans

Original Poster

jellybaby22;8255185

just read the op properlyyou've NEVER eaten cottage pie???

no, I use to be a really fussy eater and never had anything unless it was with chips and beans.

so egg, sausage, crispy pancakes etc.

Banned

marsland95l2cr;8255218

no, I use to be a really fussy eater and never had anything unless it was … no, I use to be a really fussy eater and never had anything unless it was with chips and beans.so egg, sausage, crispy pancakes etc.

Are you 12?

Original Poster

marsland95l2cr;8255218

no, I use to be a really fussy eater and never had anything unless it was … no, I use to be a really fussy eater and never had anything unless it was with chips and beans.so egg, sausage, crispy pancakes etc.

DanJackson;8255231

Are you 12?

no, 26. why? lol

Banned

marsland95l2cr;8255251

no, 26. why? lol

26 and you only eat chips and beans? Are you in some sort of sheltered accommodation?

marsland95l2cr;8255251

no, 26. why? lol

26 stone?

Original Poster

DanJackson;8255260

26 and you only eat chips and beans? Are you in some sort of sheltered … 26 and you only eat chips and beans? Are you in some sort of sheltered accommodation?

no I eat much better now, that was when I was younger and living at home. just never got things like cottage pie growing up.

Original Poster

tinkerbell28;8255269

Your mrs cooks that for you:w00t: I was gonna give you a fab recipie for … Your mrs cooks that for you:w00t: I was gonna give you a fab recipie for home cooking it, much better than the bland prepacked TESCO one, may have been getting ahead of myself!

no not the missus, it was the mother that only cooked those things.

Back on topic and seeing what you like, baked beans go quite well with cottage pie.

awww bless ..leave him alone......have some tinned peas with it...

Some roast vegies would go down a treat with that m8

tinkerbell28;8255269

Your mrs cooks that for you:w00t: I was gonna give you a fab recipie for … Your mrs cooks that for you:w00t: I was gonna give you a fab recipie for home cooking it, much better than the bland prepacked TESCO one, may have been getting ahead of myself!

A recipe for what, the cottage pie,if so can ya send it to me please:thumbsup:

Banned

tinkerbell28;8255269

totally agree. these ready meals are just awful compared to the real thing. They dont even use proper potatoes for the mash!

this is very nice and I grate some cheese on top of the mash too

[FONT=&quot]Preparation time 30 mins[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Cooking time 1 to 2 hours[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Ingredients[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    25g/1oz dripping or 25ml sunflower oil
    1 large onion, finely chopped
    1 small tin chopped tomatoes
    1 tbsp plain flour
    225ml/7 ½ fl oz chicken, beef or lamb stock
    450g/1lb minced lamb
    10ml/2sp Worcester sauce
    2 bay leaves
    2 sprigs of thyme
    salt and pepper

For the mash
    700g/1 ½ lb potatoes
    55ml/ 2 fl oz milk
    75g/3oz butter
    1 egg yolk[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Method[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    1. In a large non-stick casserole dish heat 1 oz of dripping. Add 1 large onion and cook for a further 5 mins.
    2. Meanwhile, in a large frying pan, heat a little olive oil and fry the mince up evenly and cook, until browned. While the meat is frying, break up any lumps with the back of the spoon.
    3. Stir the onions in the pan and add 1 tablespoon of plain flour (this helps to thicken the juices) and stir. Mix well and add 2 bay leaves, 2-3 sprigs of thyme and the anchovy essence and stir.
    4. To the onion mix add the chopped tomatoes, stock (keep a little aside, for putting into the mince pan to de-glaze the pan) and Worcester sauce.
    5. Add the cooked mince and then pour the stock mixture into empty mince pan, scraping off any bits of mince left in the pan. Pour the remaining stock into the pan containing the sauce mixture.
    6. Bring the mixture to the boil, adding a pinch of pepper and let it simmer for about 45 minutes.
    7. Boil the potatoes, sieve and put into a bowl. Add the butter and egg yolk, and mash together. Season with salt and black pepper.
    8. Pour the meat into an ovenproof dish and spread the mash on top, smooth over and mark with a spatula.
    9. Put the dish into the oven-gas mark 6 until it is bubbling and golden.[/FONT]

Banned

Haribo

I need an idiots guide to cooking,i'm already lost with the stock part of the recipe arghhh

Banned

in after someone googles a recipie completely ignoring the question

swede/carrot/pes

I could just eat some with red cabbage mmmm

Banned

mate, you want it with chips and beans ,have it with chips and beans,sounds good to me:thumbsup:

With sausage.

I think they've probably eat it by now oO

Weirdest bump ever.

Banned

miikeyblue

Weirdest bump ever.

Not really. He's on the pull and offering his chipolata.

Fancy cottage pie now

Banned

darren9030

Fancy cottaging now

oO

guv

Not really. I'm on the pull else tugging my chipolata.

Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767347
      2. What do you feel like whinging about today?1927370
      3. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITHOUT* A VPN (Virtual Private Netwo…1871347
      4. Do cheeky drivers annoy you when they park outside your house and leave it …2445

See more discussions