What graphics card can I get for this system?

12 replies
Found 11th Oct 2008
Ok, my old pc was replaced as i was having problems with the graphics card (i think, lol) the screen would grey out in a strange way sometimes, and also the monitor would go black for a second then come back on. Now darling daughter has this old pc so i want to put another graphics card in. at the moment its a nvidia geforce 6300 turbo cache (think thats right). I basically want to get a second hand card from ebay, cheap as possible, as she only wants to be able to play sims 2. I'm unsure what to get.

system specs:

amd athlon 64 3500+ 2.21 ghz
1 gb ram
qtec psu 350w atx 2.0
running windows xp.

as you can see its an old system, but it did use to play sims 2 ok, but not since its been playing up. hence the reason i want cheap as possible card.

any ideas? thank youuuu

Chips xx

edit: I want a card that i can just replace with no hassle, as I'm not great with pc's, but i can pull one card out and shove another one in. lol. so no adapters or changing this that and t'other as will all go over my head.. lol

12 Comments

not enough info m8, you need to find out what type of gfx expansion slot u have on the mainboard, agp or pci-e.
With gfx cards it's is not always just plug and play , 50/50 you may need extra power from the psu, sometimes just experimenting with drivers as well to get the most stable ones especially with sh ones.

Original Poster

Hiya, its a pci-e one in there at the moment. i know the newer cards needs a lot more power, so i just want an older card, but hopefully a bit better than the one at the moment. Was thinking of something like a geforce 7600 gs? or would that be too much of a step? I really need to do it as cheap as possible. :oops: lol

If you can get a 7600 cheap then I'd say that would be a decent purchase but you may be able to get an 8600 card just as cheaply.

Original Poster

jocksteeluk;3170210

If you can get a 7600 cheap then I'd say that would be a decent purchase … If you can get a 7600 cheap then I'd say that would be a decent purchase but you may be able to get an 8600 card just as cheaply.

Would that system take an 8600? I thought that would be too much for it, lol.

ChipSticks;3170656

Would that system take an 8600? I thought that would be too much for it, … Would that system take an 8600? I thought that would be too much for it, lol.

nah an 8600gt would be fine.

i would go for the 7800gt over the 8600gt as although the 8600gt supports dx 10 it wont be have enough kick to ply dx10 games properly !!!

i have just built pc for my lil sister's for school etc.. and the 7800gt (which is 256bit)plays the likes of race driver grid and pro street not on maximum settings but pretty smooth and you can pick 1 up for £20 including postage as i did!!!

other than that i know (not mentionin no names)somewhere with an e and a bay have second user 9600gt for £50

I wouldn't go with a 7600gt as they are beginin to hit the dust

Banned

A 8600GT would work ok, but the minimum PSU is 350Watts for it, so you may need a bigger PSU depending on the equipment already in it.

Hope it helps

If shes only playing Sims 2 then someat like a 8300/400gs would work fine....

TIm

ChipSticks;3169641

Hiya, its a pci-e one in there at the moment. i know the newer cards … Hiya, its a pci-e one in there at the moment. i know the newer cards needs a lot more power, so i just want an older card, but hopefully a bit better than the one at the moment. Was thinking of something like a geforce 7600 gs? or would that be too much of a step? I really need to do it as cheap as possible. :oops: lol

newer cards don't need more power per se, the amount of power cards uses varies by generation, sometimes they'll need more power, sometimes less. Cards higher up the range need more power though.

I'd open up the side of your case and check how many amperes the sticker on the side of the PSU says the +12V line can provide (e.g. 12A) as that will give a better ideal of what the computer can handle. As you've got a Qtec PSU it isn't going to be very high though. (I had a 450W Qtec that struggled to power a system that had previously run fine on an Antec 330W)

There's a list of power requirements for cards ]here, although you should probably allow quite a big varience in the maximum power as a lot of them seem to have been based on a single measurement. Still, it should give you an idea of which cards are within 10W or so of your 6300 (which I guess is probably a 6200 that came in a system from a big manufacturer).

Original Poster

Thanks so much for the advice guys Gonne keep my eyes open on the nasty fleabay and see what i can get.

it could be the monitor, not the video card. before changing the videocard try some other monitor.

about video cards: there are 3 kind of slots at the moment: PCI (really old), AGP(old) and PCI Express.
Depending on your motherboard your new video card will be compatible with one of them. We cant tell from your description. You need to find out your motherboard's manufacturer and model number and post it for further help.

But for a cheap and cheerful card I recomment the ATI X1600 series (X1600, X1650, X1650XT etc etc). You can find it on Ebay for under !0£ if you know how to look for it. It can come in both AGP and PCI Express flavors. Handles most of games.

Nevermind the power, 350W is enough. I run a very powerful pc with under 300W

Hope it helps

PS ive just read your question again. judging by our processor, your motherboard supports PCI Express cards. so nevermind the AGP. Im 90% sure

x1600 dont need extra power.nvidia 8600 series are quite decent, no extra power cable needed either. under 50£
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Add one, leave one game54415416
    2. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITH* A VPN (Virtual Private Network)70561
    3. The PlayStation VR (PSVR) Thread861868
    4. word association Game74244894

See more discussions