What hand held console would be best suited for a 5 year old?

Found 2nd May 2015
I'm thinking of getting my son a hand held console for his 5th birthday. He's not asked for one and rarely uses the computer at home but I only want to get him 1 main present as he has too many toys. I have had a look around but there are so many to choose from. I was going to get a psp as they are cheap and he could watch UMDs but Nintendos seem to be really popular. What would you recommend?
Thanks

Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.
Community Updates
AskGames ConsoleSuit
15 Comments
Does he have a tablet? I have a 5 & 4 year old and bought them both a 2ds for Xmas, after a couple of weeks they have just sat gathering dust, I think I've played on my dons more than him, they both have iPads and love watching Netflix and playing games, plus a lot of games are educational and free, my sister bought my niece a cheap tablet from asda, think it was a Samsung one but I could be wrong, it was £69 I think. He might get more use out of a cheap tablet.
we got both and the psp is best as you said you can watch films, play on Internet, play games, and some good cheap deals about
Got my sons a ps vita and 3ds xl at Christmas they have been out the box once .. Agree with above my children live their iPad way more and a lot easier to use in my opinion plus app games are free or cheap
For a 5 year old.........

http://images.mentalfloss.com/sites/default/files/styles/article_640x430/public/etch-a-sketch_0.jpg
We have an ipad at home but I only let him use it occasionally. I thought a games console would be more portable and harder wearing, but I don't want to buy something if it's just going to gather dust.
As mentioned I think I tablet would be better, you can get some really durable cases for them incase they drop them which you can't really get for handhelds. There's also no need to change cartridges or discs which can get lost or damaged and it can be used to play games, watch TV, and there's education content for learning as well. Personally if he's not been asking for something specific I would definitely go with a tablet.
There are a lot more games out for Nintendo than psp and old ones can be picked up pretty cheap. We bought a ds a while ago and my 6.5 year old is only just playing it. He prefers xbox on the tv though.
Check out the deal posted on here for the Wikipad from Ebuyer....I've ordered one for my 6 yr old :O).......

Hope this helps :O)
hmmm maybe I will leave it this year and wait and see if he asks for one or the other in the future. I'm not sure I want to get him a tablet just yet.
I think a vtech handheld learning system would be ideal for this age range. http://images.amazon.com/images/G/01/toys/detail-page/B000PX0DNG-3.jpg
2 Ds and a cart to play some old nds games. but of course u can buy the modern 3ds games aswell.
Nintendo Ds or a cheap tablet?
A10510m

We have an ipad at home but I only let him use it occasionally. I thought … We have an ipad at home but I only let him use it occasionally. I thought a games console would be more portable and harder wearing, but I don't want to buy something if it's just going to gather dust.

My grandson who is 2yrs old uses the i-pad and loves it and can work it better than me!!! He watches youtube for all kinds of toddler things like nursery rhymes and ABC & number games all educational stuff and he was 2 in january there and can recite the ebtire alphabet and all his main colours and count to 20!!!! I wad stunned!!
if you already have ipad, I'd go cheapy android tablet. get a good chunky case (makes them easier for little hands to hold, doubles as a stand, and protects the tablet from falls / water) and maybe a stylus. Youtube is surprisingly educational (I'm a teacher!!) my class have been learning tables by singing along to youtube videos. theres lots of fun apps, and there seems to be free ones on here every day. movies, music, its also easier to control the action on a tablet than on a games system, because of the touchscreen. its great for hand / eye coordination, and for 1:1 correspondence. apart from educational bits, games are fun!!!
Game Gear with Jungle Book cartridge
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants