EXPIRED

What happens if an Amateur golfer wins the British Open???

Hey Can anyone help me out with this please. I know that when an Amateur wins the british open, they don't get the cash, but do they get the Claret Jug?

I thought they did get the jug but not the cash, but i cant find any proof online. If anyone can knows and can post a link proving it, this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

24 Comments

Are you in the running?

The amateur still gets the jug but the prize money goes to who ever finishes second

The amateur still gets the jug but the prize money goes to who ever … The amateur still gets the jug but the prize money goes to who ever finishes second

really! - never knew that - surely they would deserve the money even more than a pro winning!

thats what i thought. playing golf for 4 days to win a jug.some one who finishes second takes all the coin. id be devastated

But if a amateur does win it, then no doubt they will be all over the papers and have sponsorship deals coming out of there ears!

This seems awful , so first place winner is miles ahead of everyone else yet 2nd place gets it ... hmm.

spobby;2602456

This seems awful , so first place winner is miles ahead of everyone else … This seems awful , so first place winner is miles ahead of everyone else yet 2nd place gets it ... hmm.

I'm won a golf competition when I was about 14/15 .....there was a cash prize on offer, but I was too young to receive it.....ended up with 6 golf balls and a trophy :roll:

i watched on tv.it was raining and there was 40 mile an hour winds for the first 2 days. rather them than me!

How much cash was on offer?

Original Poster

first place gets £750,000, then it just depends from there onwards cos some people come joint second etc, but if your in top 3 your guarunteed over 100k

surely they could put it into a fund to recieve when you 18 im sure that happens with other things.

jonnybravo;2602567

first place gets £750,000, then it just depends from there onwards cos … first place gets £750,000, then it just depends from there onwards cos some people come joint second etc, but if your in top 3 your guarunteed over 100k

That much!!!!! i think il invest in some golf clubs

I think sponsorship deals completely dwarf the (admittedly large) tournament prizes don't they - isn't Tiger suppost to be/close to being a billionaire? I'm certain if an amateur did win they would end up receiving plenty of money one way or another...

midlandscomics;2602473

I'm won a golf competition when I was about 14/15 .....there was a cash … I'm won a golf competition when I was about 14/15 .....there was a cash prize on offer, but I was too young to receive it.....ended up with 6 golf balls and a trophy :roll:

Do they not have to turn proffessional to recieve the prize money?

was there not a story not long ago were a guy had to turn proffessional to get a car or cash for getting a hole in one at some corporate pro am thing.

there must be some sort of way round not getting any prize money.

ants97;2602609

Do they not have to turn proffessional to recieve the prize money? was … Do they not have to turn proffessional to recieve the prize money? was there not a story not long ago were a guy had to turn proffessional to get a car or cash for getting a hole in one at some corporate pro am thing. there must be some sort of way round not getting any prize money.

I think if you enter any competition if you win you deserve 1st prize. pro or amateur. you have worked just as hard as the next person

the amateur who finshed 5th at the open lost out on about £140,000 because he wasnt a pro.

isnt tiger wood caddy a millionaire from his share of all of tigers prize money?

http://www.joe-ks.com/archives/Balls_Removed.jpg

Banned

It would defeat the point of allowing amateurs in at all if they kept the prize money as they would in effect be a professional then.

An amateur signs a waver before the tournament saying that they are not eligible to receive prize money (various rule for PGA, European and Royal and Ancient rules). They can receive the trophy but first prize money would go to the top Professional finisher. The person who said they won a tournament at 14/15 was not talking about a professional tournament obviously or he would have known this all too well. NOTE: According to PGA rules an amateur can keep money won for a "Hole in one" during competition but no other money may be accepted.

jonnybravo

first place gets £750,000, then it just depends from there onwards cos … first place gets £750,000, then it just depends from there onwards cos some people come joint second etc, but if your in top 3 your guarunteed over 100k

no first place get 1.2m

I didn't know the prize money goes to 2nd place. Good to know.

For the rest of you all worried that the amateur doesn't get the money, he knows that going in to the tournament. He stayed amateur for a reason. He is already over 18.

Banned

pjjpjj36

no first place get 1.2m

That's inflation for you
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763967
    2. HUKD Satellite Information & IPTV Thread48210858
    3. Any PS4 News Here29213593
    4. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17386132

See more discussions