Expired

What happens to shill bidders on eBay?

Found 28th Jan 2012
The OH is selling something on Ebay and has been accused by another member of shill bidding??

She says she is going to report her to ebay and she will be 'in bother'?

Wat happens? Do ebay suspend you?
Community Updates
Misc
53 Comments
Banned
was she shill bidding?
Banned
The way I see it, you should shill bid. If ebay are going to screw you over, you may as well have done the crime
if she isnt shill bidding then no worries i would have thought!
Banned
Do ebay suspend you?

No, they ban you for life if proven
Original Poster
She is selling an old toy of hers which is at £41 at the moment, she does have an old account which more than likely she has been using.

Edit: yes she has been using a second account to bump up the auction
Edited by: "Ben3110" 28th Jan 2012
Then again its in ebays interest not take any action against shill bidders as it means they get more fees....
that was a very shilly thing to do
whats her name on ebay so we know to avoid buying from her cos she bids on her own stuff, thats well out of order and should be banned for it
Ben3110

She is selling an old toy of hers which is at £41 at the moment, she does … She is selling an old toy of hers which is at £41 at the moment, she does have an old account which more than likely she has been using. Edit: yes she has been using a second account to bump up the auction

Do the time, do the time. Or delete the other account
Original Poster
Just checked the bid history and the top bidder is a guy who started ebaying on the 25th so he has 0 feedback.

Not the other account she has been using. Im guessing the other member that accused her of being a shill bidder is thinking that the person with '0' feedback is the shill bidding account?
Banned
Ben3110

She is selling an old toy of hers which is at £41 at the moment, she does … She is selling an old toy of hers which is at £41 at the moment, she does have an old account which more than likely she has been using. Edit: yes she has been using a second account to bump up the auction

The odl account will be banned and most probably the new one too, the auction will be cancelled with no fee refunds and she'll be told to never come back to ebay again!

its a pretty scummy thing to do tbh
Original Poster
OK ive taken a screenshot of the bid history, Im guessing the member who has accused her thinks this shaggy guy is her second account?

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa329/Ben_Fletch/Screenshot2012-01-28at164346.jpg
My neighbour did this and both her and her friend got suspended for 2 weeks. She was so annoyed because she had about 50 items listed and after the 2 weeks she had to relist them all!! lol
Banned
op why have you blocked the other names out, you happy for us just to see the one name, why not all

and i hope all accounts get banned, this is not what ebay is about if she wanted more then pay the fees and put a reserve on them
Banned
Ben3110

OK ive taken a screenshot of the bid history, Im guessing the member who … OK ive taken a screenshot of the bid history, Im guessing the member who has accused her thinks this shaggy guy is her second account?

its irrelevant, Ebay will check all bidders so she's stuffed now
Shill bidding is one of the things that has ruined eBay. I would image a suspension but possible ban as eBay has received a complaint from a third party. Very poor show either way
Original Poster
sassie

op why have you blocked the other names out, you happy for us just to see … op why have you blocked the other names out, you happy for us just to see the one name, why not alland i hope all accounts get banned, this is not what ebay is about if she wanted more then pay the fees and put a reserve on them

It was to show how many times this 'shaggy' guy had bid on the auction. He looked dodgey and I would have removed his bids personally. Have had bad experience with 0 feedback buyers
@hannah

How did eBay find out? I'm assuming your neighbour got her friend to bid.
Original Poster
Dear xxx

shil bidding is against ebay rules
i have noticed the bidding regime on this item and i feel the item is been bidded up so i am going to report to ebay
if the ip address matches to your computer you will be in alot of bother

Thats the message she got from the eBayer
Banned
come on then, lets see the full list, without the blanked out
Banned
OP sorry to say this, but your Mrs is dishonest and should be removed from ebay.

Artificially inflating the price of her auctions is not what auctions are about.
she might even get a 5 stretch but on the other side a bit of piece for you
theregister.co.uk/201…ll/
just another reson not to use ebay
If Ebay were serious about shill bidding they would not have started hiding all the bidders names - makes it virtually impossible for anyone to spot shill bidding (unless its an unusual item)

Shill bidding is also one of the reasons I never bid on private auctions.....
Edited by: "gari189" 28th Jan 2012
MR1123

@hannahHow did eBay find out? I'm assuming your neighbour got her friend … @hannahHow did eBay find out? I'm assuming your neighbour got her friend to bid.

She doesn't know to this day but yes she was doing it!
I was bidding on an item before Xmas and realised that thy were shil bidding as every time I bid they did afew seconds later then when I didn't bid again they retracted their bid so I was winning it, so I retracted mine to lol I won in the end but for less than what she had bidded itup to.
they warn you if you shill bid

you wont get banned for a 1st offence

dont see anything wrong with it myself

you bid what your prepared to pay end of,if someone is shill bidding and you continue to bid it means your prepared to pay that for it so whats the problem?
guilty as charged m`lud!
jamstaruk1972

they warn you if you shill bid you wont get banned for a 1st offencedont … they warn you if you shill bid you wont get banned for a 1st offencedont see anything wrong with it myself you bid what your prepared to pay end of,if someone is shill bidding and you continue to bid it means your prepared to pay that for it so whats the problem?

A question of expectations. You go in for an auction with the expectation that the seller will follow the rules. One possibility is that a lack of bidders will enable you to get a bargain. If this was clearly stated that shill bidding was permitted then lets proceed from there but otherwise it's unfair regardless of people being responsible for bidding anyway.
Mod & Ed
Ebays policy
We thoroughly investigate every report we receive. Sometimes, though, what appears to be shill bidding may actually be a legitimate transaction. If there's evidence of shill bidding, we take action, ranging from listing cancellation to referral to law enforcement. Our Privacy Policy prevents us from disclosing the details of our investigation to other members, including the person who reported the issue.

We may also smash in your back door and make the need to wear socks, tights or stockings redundant
The first UK seller to be prosecuted for artificially inflating prices by bidding on his own eBay auctions has been told to pay £5,000 in fines and costs, and ordered to do 250 hours community service.

Judge Peter Benson at Bradford Crown court said he would have jailed minibus firm owner Paul Barrett, 39, if his record were not clean and the sums of money involved had been larger, PA reports.

Barratt pleaded guilty to using two logins to drive up the price of items including vehicles, mobile phones and a digital camera. He used the same contact details and IP address to create each account, the court heard.

He was investigated by Trading Standards after a buyer complained he had been sold a clocked minibus.

eBay today welcomed the sentence.

“We are extremely pleased with Paul Barrett's sentence," said spokeswoman Vanessa Canzini.

"While this case was not solely about shill bidding, we hope that it highlights how seriously we consider the practice of artificially increasing prices. This practice is not only prohibited on eBay as it damages the integrity and fairness of trading on our site, but it is also illegal.

"We continue to invest over £6 million every year in industry leading technology to proactively detect shill bidding. We will always work closely with law enforcement agencies to ensure that, on the rare occasion someone attempts to follow in Barrett’s footsteps, they will be stopped and will face the consequences.”

Judge Benson said: "This sort of conduct strikes at the heart of that trust which is vital if this very, very useful commercial medium is to continue to operate successfully."
Nothing will happen. The higher the end price the bigger the cut for ebay.
Banned
How does one retract their bids?

Also how can anyone link 2 accounts and deem an account to be shill bidding if one gets a unique 'friend' to do it for every item listed?
Regarding the Paul Barrett case...

Online auction bidders have been given a "wake-up call" after a man was prosecuted for bidding against himself to raise prices.

Trading standards officers warn it is illegal to push up a price artificially by bidding against yourself or by getting family or friends to do so.

The process is known as shill bidding and breaks new European Union fair trading rules.

Offences carry a maximum fine of £5,000 in UK law

Your OH might be a lovely person in every other way but shilling bidding is pathetic and I would rather these people stuck to flogging their unwanted wares at boot sales rather than being on ebay spoiling it for others. A cheat is a cheat, however you look at it.
Banned
Depends....eBay tend to let bigger sellers off.....more profit? They do target and suspend the smaller sellers tho. Tell your wife not to be dishonest.
I reported someone shill bidding on eBay, she was doing it on about 30 items, I could tell because looking through her history the same person was winning loads of her items, and they we then relisted a day later. I was alerted because I was bidding on two of her items and they were both bid on straight after my bid. I reported her and some of the item numbers, some of which had been won by the shill and resisted 3 or 4 times. And a whole load that had sold to orher ebayers, and had shill bids on.

EBay did Nothing. I withdrew my bids
Edited by: "skellysgirl" 28th Jan 2012
I rarely use ebay anymore. If I have to then its BIN only, I got fed up with the bidding lark & as someone mentioned earlier in this thread, it has become nigh impossible to see the shill bidders.

have you already retracted those bids, as nothing comes up on that buyer bidding on anything.
Banned
splatsplatsplat

have you already retracted those bids, as nothing comes up on that buyer … have you already retracted those bids, as nothing comes up on that buyer bidding on anything.

private auction
Banned
gari189

If Ebay were serious about shill bidding they would not have started … If Ebay were serious about shill bidding they would not have started hiding all the bidders names - makes it virtually impossible for anyone to spot shill bidding (unless its an unusual item)Shill bidding is also one of the reasons I never bid on private auctions.....

Shill bidding is easy to spot if you just look into the bidding activity of user c******r (52) that's how eBay combat it.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants