What happens when you switch Energy Suppliers?

14 replies
Found 11th Nov 2009
I've often wondered how the different energy suppliers actually deliver the energy to our homes. Obviously electricity comes from one power station and gas from another. Then how come there are so many different suppliers charging different prices, and what physically happens when you switch suppliers?

14 Comments

nothing physical happens, different suppliers, get different rates for buying wholesale energy, then price it to customers

Original Poster

JayIce;6862754

nothing physical happens, different suppliers, get different rates for … nothing physical happens, different suppliers, get different rates for buying wholesale energy, then price it to customers

I've just done a search for the cheapest supplier in my area and it comes up with 'First Utility'. How come this small supplier can beat the likes of British Gas, Eon and their other major competitors?

Banned

robot1000;6862803

I've just done a search for the cheapest supplier in my area and it comes … I've just done a search for the cheapest supplier in my area and it comes up with 'First Utility'. How come this small supplier can beat the likes of British Gas, Eon and their other major competitors?

If you are changing definately use quidco or another cashback site :thumbsup:

robot1000;6862803

I've just done a search for the cheapest supplier in my area and it comes … I've just done a search for the cheapest supplier in my area and it comes up with 'First Utility'. How come this small supplier can beat the likes of British Gas, Eon and their other major competitors?

Even though they are larger companies they may not hold the larger share of energy within your area, this may be First Utility...

Original Poster

DLM;6862823

If you are changing definately use quidco or another cashback site … If you are changing definately use quidco or another cashback site :thumbsup:

I went through TCB got £21 by going through Uswitch

£110 through Quidco for Scottish Power still?

I'm looking into switching but I'm only on electric so some of the higher cashbacks are not available, which I consider to be a con as I bet I use more electric !

However, you really need to be on the ball as to your consumption. No guessing games here or your savings can disappear.

For me, BG is the best, followed by Ovo and my current provider, E-on, some £40 behind before any cashback or special offers.

Banned

robot1000;6862803

cos they buy the energy at a spot price (like gold) so they must have bought at a recent price (much lower than last year).

They tend to buy a years worth at a time which is why BG etc have taken so long to reduce the prices this year (and they're greedy b.......)

3.1415926;6863601

I'm looking into switching but I'm only on electric so some of the higher … I'm looking into switching but I'm only on electric so some of the higher cashbacks are not available, which I consider to be a con as I bet I use more electric !However, you really need to be on the ball as to your consumption. No guessing games here or your savings can disappear.For me, BG is the best, followed by Ovo and my current provider, E-on, some £40 behind before any cashback or special offers.

I liked your nic so much I gave you lots of circles lol!!

Hi Pi

OP--- nothin much happens just someone else charges you for your supply. You wont notice any differences.

csiman;6863992

cos they buy the energy at a spot price (like gold) so they must have … cos they buy the energy at a spot price (like gold) so they must have bought at a recent price (much lower than last year). They tend to buy a years worth at a time which is why BG etc have taken so long to reduce the prices this year (and they're greedy b.......)

^^^^ This bit!

Banned

Well eon have their own gas stations and wind farms, so something physical must be happening for them to guarantee that a certain tariff will use only green power sources.

Is there generally a tie in period when you switch suppliers or can you change as and when you like?

Banned

Goonieman;6864360

Is there generally a tie in period when you switch suppliers or can you … Is there generally a tie in period when you switch suppliers or can you change as and when you like?

all different.

I use ebico.co.uk, due to no standing charges whatsoever, no tie in, and all payment methods are charged same rate and none of the dual tarriff rates, that everyother supplier seems to put on ALL these days
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. The ultimate Sunday roast only £5.46 for 4 people at ASDA21131
    2. First batch of original Xbox backwards compatible games11
    3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247657
    4. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 191 ***1328

See more discussions