What have you overheard people saying.

Found 24th Mar
OK today I was in pound World. And I heard some chavvy mum say to their kid
"will you f'ing shut up or I'm going to kick you in the face."

The kid was maybe 5.

I nearly went up to her and told her the same if she talked to her like that again.
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
Top comments
Absolutely disgusted by ‘parents’ who beat/hit up children. Childhood should be one of the best times of your life with no worries etc.
23 Comments
Absolutely disgusted by ‘parents’ who beat/hit up children. Childhood should be one of the best times of your life with no worries etc.
Original Poster
Agreed there mate, I loved my childhood. And now I'm older my dad still amazes me. He is and has been totally devoted to us.
Op, unfortunately that scenario of bad language and threats of violence seem to be more prevalent today. Kids know which buttons to press to get a reaction but simple reasoning is the best solution. Let’s hope she accepts an invitation for a parenting skills class via the school.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 24th Mar
*nearly
I think my favourite was a woman pushing an older woman in a wheelchair in Primark which went...

"My God you are such a ****!"

and her replying

"I'm not a ****, i'm your mum!"
Edited by moderator: "potty mouth" 25th Mar
Being too soft is equally bad parenting. Not defending the specific mum in OP, though.

If a kid is rude, a slap is well-deserved. That's not battering the kid.

I see more and more kids swearing in front of their parents with no shame, kids getting physical with their parents if they're annoyed with them. That's unacceptable and I never once swore at my parents or touched them. Have always found that disgusting.

I was generally a well-behaved kid, especially compared to some brats today (like my old teacher said to my mum when they met a while ago) but the few times I did something out of line like going out with other kids to play without telling my parents and making them worry, I got a beating and I haven't had traumas growing up because of that.

My parents were not the kind to use bad language at me. They just made it clear that certain unacceptable behaviours would be punished.

Seems like today you can't even threaten to punish your kid or you are a violent person who clearly batters their kids
Edited by: "hearts22" 25th Mar
hearts2241 m ago

Being too soft is equally bad parenting. Not defending the specific mum in …Being too soft is equally bad parenting. Not defending the specific mum in OP, though. If a kid is rude, a slap is well-deserved. That's not battering the kid.I see more and more kids swearing in front of their parents with no shame, kids getting physical with their parents if they're annoyed with them. That's unacceptable and I never once swore at my parents or touched them. Have always found that disgusting. I was generally a well-behaved kid, especially compared to some brats today (like my old teacher said to my mum when they met a while ago) but the few times I did something out of line like going out with other kids to play without telling my parents and making them worry, I got a beating and I haven't had traumas growing up because of that.My parents were not the kind to use bad language at me. They just made it clear that certain unacceptable behaviours would be punished.Seems like today you can't even threaten to punish your kid or you are a violent person who clearly batters their kids

I cannot believe there are people who think a "a slap is well deserved". Sadly it's not just the children that need educating.
Discipline = Respect. There's not enough of it.
cdm225 h, 42 m ago

I think my favourite was a woman pushing an older woman in a wheelchair in …I think my favourite was a woman pushing an older woman in a wheelchair in Primark which went..."My God you are such a c***!"and her replying"I'm not a c***, i'm your mum!"

That is so Sad. Just maybe one day she will appreciate her mum, but sadly when its too late
windym2 h, 6 m ago

I cannot believe there are people who think a "a slap is well deserved". …I cannot believe there are people who think a "a slap is well deserved". Sadly it's not just the children that need educating.

I've never understood the logic of slapping children . If they are too young to understand reasoning with them , what makes people think they will understand why they are being slapped by the adult that is supposed to be the person who cares for them . I have honestly always thought that slapping is a measure taken by a parent who temporarily loses control of themselves.but to deliberately weigh up if you are going to slap your child is sad beyond belief .

Additionally if if a child is slapped at home , how is that child supposed to understand that if their friend does something the child doesn't like, eg snatches a toy , that. they are not supposed to use physical violence eg hitting themselves.
When did this site turn into MumsNet?
Dannyrobbo1 h, 11 m ago

When did this site turn into MumsNet?

When relatives get referred to as DH, DW, DS,DD, DMIL etc.....
never understood why they’re referred to as Darling anything
i was quite a bad kid and never listened. i did exactly what i wanted and my parents could not control me. my dad was a violent and aggressive man and he was always trying to hit me as he thought that was the only way i was going to listen, but my mum always stops him doing so. she sometimes gets to the end of her tether and threaten to hit me if i did not listen, but they were empty threats and it only made me more disobedient.

i think it is really terrible to hit children, even if they are wayward and do not listen. but sometimes people use verbal threats to try and frighten the child into listening even though they have no intention of hitting the child. i do this with the dog
Bring back the whip
windym4 h, 45 m ago

I cannot believe there are people who think a "a slap is well deserved". …I cannot believe there are people who think a "a slap is well deserved". Sadly it's not just the children that need educating.

Gang leaders think it’s ok to kill others as they’ve spoken to someone on their turf. Governments start wars because someone has done something to them. That’s how society is built, it’s all very well being idealistic but we aren’t there yet and if a child needs a smack on its ass as it’s done wrong there is nothing wrong with that provided it’s not sustained and is proportional to what they have done. I.e. kid runs off in the road you give them a smack on the arse and tell them not to do it again and explain that they could be killed. The child understands they will feel pain as a result of going out in the road (similar to being hit by a car but the smack hurts much less). Other option child runs out in the road parent shouts at them, child associates parent shouting at them if they go out in the road. Shouting doesn’t hurt the child so it has no association with it hurting them, child carries on running out in the road and being shouted at and gets hit and dies.

This does explain why so many kids just walk out in the road without looking now. I’m in my early 30’s and we would never do that and a few kids that did got hit and were told off by the police for running out in the road. Nowadays it’s the drivers fault parents are inept, therefore the children are too inept to simply cross a road safely!!!
windym5 h, 56 m ago

Situation depending, physical punishment IMO is very much acceptable.

I was 'slapped' when misbehaving as a child.

I left school in 1990 16 yr old and have worked ever since, and still to this day don't swear in front of elder family members, especially my parents, the odd slap, on the receiving end of a coppers size 10's and getting the belt at school hasn't done me harm..

There are obviously extremes which are unacceptable though and thankfully rare.
I call someone Chavvy, but you were in Pound World
andynicol2 h, 32 m ago

Situation depending, physical punishment IMO is very much acceptable.I was …Situation depending, physical punishment IMO is very much acceptable.I was 'slapped' when misbehaving as a child.I left school in 1990 16 yr old and have worked ever since, and still to this day don't swear in front of elder family members, especially my parents, the odd slap, on the receiving end of a coppers size 10's and getting the belt at school hasn't done me harm..There are obviously extremes which are unacceptable though and thankfully rare.

Our eldest (19) was never slapped, ever. The others weren't either, but he's the eldest (so in effect my yardstick on how we did as parents).

He is a kind, considerate and very confident young man at Uni. He doesn't swear (in front of me/other family/elder members). He never rebelled, didn't run around like a lunatic in restaurants (like so many children do these days) and he was always treated with respect. If he did something naughty then it was explained that the behaviour wasn't acceptable. He understood that.

Parenting isn't easy but smacking is definitely not the answer. All you are teaching is that it is acceptable to smack.
Toptrumpet15 h, 12 m ago

Op, unfortunately that scenario of bad language and threats of violence …Op, unfortunately that scenario of bad language and threats of violence seem to be more prevalent today. Kids know which buttons to press to get a reaction but simple reasoning is the best solution. Let’s hope she accepts an invitation for a parenting skills class via the school.

A parenting skills class at school? Might be the first time they pay attention at school, unlikely to work?!
One thing we always impressed on our kids was that violence is never acceptable, you have to lead by example.
f3rgy1510 h, 3 m ago

Discipline = Respect. There's not enough of it.

33512008-v4ILM.jpg.
Toptrumpet14 h, 39 m ago

When relatives get referred to as DH, DW, DS,DD, DMIL etc.....never …When relatives get referred to as DH, DW, DS,DD, DMIL etc.....never understood why they’re referred to as Darling anything

I don’t get it either and I’m a group admin on a similar site to Mumsnet. It actually stands for dear though, don’t know which is worse
windym18 h, 19 m ago

Our eldest (19) was never slapped, ever. The others weren't either, but …Our eldest (19) was never slapped, ever. The others weren't either, but he's the eldest (so in effect my yardstick on how we did as parents).He is a kind, considerate and very confident young man at Uni. He doesn't swear (in front of me/other family/elder members). He never rebelled, didn't run around like a lunatic in restaurants (like so many children do these days) and he was always treated with respect. If he did something naughty then it was explained that the behaviour wasn't acceptable. He understood that. Parenting isn't easy but smacking is definitely not the answer. All you are teaching is that it is acceptable to smack.

Smacking me never did me any harm, Every kid is different and will respond differently. Smacking doesn't teach a kid that it's ok to smack people at all. I didn't go around randomly smacking people, I had respect, That is something a lot of kids these days lack. Pussy footing around kids, giving into their demands. They get spoiled these days and if they act up they claim they've got adhd or they're autistic. No, the reality is a majority of them just need some good old fashioned discipline.

Kids push boundaries, If my kids step out of line they'll get a slapped arse, They know this and respect that. I haven't had to slap them in a very long time but I would if it was deemed necessary.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions