Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

What is a good or efficient way to paint edges and trims without taping off?

Posted 5th Sep 2021
looking to paint a room, wondering if there's a better way to get a good finish without taping?
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

Groups

Top comments
I think 'skill' is the only real way.
13 Comments
  1. Avatar
    There are quite a few proprietary painting aids available from all the usual outlets - just search. I use a piece of old perspex with a straight edge. And when I muck up with window frames, just let it dry and scrape it off with one of those old razor blades attached to a gizmo.
  2. Avatar
  3. Avatar
    Pandamansays05/09/2021 13:05

Skill, and a decent brush you'll be surprised how much difference just having a decent brush can make.
  4. Avatar
    Dyslexic_Dog05/09/2021 14:06

Skill, and a decent brush you'll be surprised how much difference just …Skill, and a decent brush you'll be surprised how much difference just having a decent brush can make.

Agreed. These are very good - toolstation.com/ham…ush
  5. Avatar
    I know you said no taping, but we tried Frog tape once and it's absolutely amazing stuff. It's a bit more expensive than bog standard masking tape, but the paint line left behind is so sharp you could cut yourself on it.

But just to add to the previous comments, paint brushes make a huge difference and not just to the edges.
  6. Avatar
    slimy3105/09/2021 16:24

I know you said no taping, but we tried Frog tape once and it's absolutely …I know you said no taping, but we tried Frog tape once and it's absolutely amazing stuff. It's a bit more expensive than bog standard masking tape, but the paint line left behind is so sharp you could cut yourself on it.But just to add to the previous comments, paint brushes make a huge difference and not just to the edges.

I'll second using Frog tape. Amazing stuff and prevents any paint leakage at all, leaving perfect lines. Costs about a fiver for 41 metres and is worth every penny
  7. Avatar
    Dyslexic_Dog05/09/2021 14:06

Skill, and a decent brush you'll be surprised how much difference just …Skill, and a decent brush you'll be surprised how much difference just having a decent brush can make.

This, I remember when I first started decorating and had a set of cheap brushes, cutting in looked terrible and bought a decent set of brushes to finish it off and it was miles easier. Spend a little more on some decent brushes
  8. Avatar
    You can get plastic guards specifically for the task...
  9. Avatar
    purdy brushes.
  10. Avatar
    My experience of frog tape is terrible, it took the paint with it when peeled off and it bled underneath the tape so it looked awful. Had better experience with cheap masking tape.
  11. Avatar
    Author
    GlitchFace06/09/2021 13:29

https://www.add2-flooring.com/mdf-skirting-boards[Image] removable …https://www.add2-flooring.com/mdf-skirting-boards[Image] removable skirting, and cable run too

That's a clever!
Post a comment
Top Merchants