What is a good price for windows and doors?

Found 14th Apr 2016
I am wanting to get my windows and doors replaced and have had a survey (well 2 in two days) done by Safestyle UK. Now I am aware of some people's opinions on this company, but they have also got some good reviews. Their latest quote is 6500 for 9 windows and 2 doors. I've got a semi-detached home.

My questions:

Is this a reasonable/good quote?
Are Safestyle really that bad? Has anyone got anything positive to say about them?

Thank you in advance for anyone who gives me any help
Community Updates
28 Comments
Have you tried any local companies? Not had any work done by safestyle myself but we find local companies tend to charge less. Are you any where near york? Can recommend a good company if you are!
we had a quote from anglian windows for just our front door, £2600!
There's always a deal they can do, try and get them down in price, especially seeing it's the end of the financial year for some companies coming up
we had a quote from anglian windows for just our front door, £2600!
There's always a deal they can do, try and get them down in price, especially seeing it's the end of the financial year for some companies coming up
Best time to get a deal is towards end of calendar month on commission based products as the sales teams are under pressure to hit the targets just to start earning commission or they are nicely topping up their already triggered targets.

End of financial year means nothing for large companies unless the goods and services are completed in which the company will add them to their sales figures for reporting to the market.

I would definately shop around as you could save yourself a packet.
The cheapest way is to get the windows yourself & get a local joiner to fit them.

I am a business development manager for a company called SIG Windows... We are a supply only distributor...

Where about are you? If you want to send me details of the sizes, colour & any u value spec - I can tell you how much the windows actually cost...
Semi detached house - 7 windows (one toughened glass as at bottom of stairs) £1400 - local company
Anglian quoted, at the door, without even seeing the back £5700

mates bungalow - 5 windows 2 doors and a inner porch door - £2100 - same local company.
Safestyle quoted him £9000

moral of story - go local.
Had 11 windows done last summer. Anglian Home Improvements quoted £20k!!! Local company £2700
Edited by: "markystarky" 14th Apr 2016
pink_n_fluffy3344

we had a quote from anglian windows for just our front door, … we had a quote from anglian windows for just our front door, £2600!There's always a deal they can do, try and get them down in price, especially seeing it's the end of the financial year for some companies coming up

I got a quote from a local company in Rotherham area today for upvc inward-opening French doors for £865. That's for two lots of hinges snd handles etc, and seems a lot cheaper than Anglian's quote for a straight-forward door. Always pays to shop around with local well-established companies. Ymmv.
avoid Anglian windows and go with a local company...
Depending on window size you should not be paying more than £300 per window and £1000 for a non-pvc door. This is from my experience with Coral Windows. Negotiate hard - they will knock off a big chunk if you have a better price elsewhere.
We just paid £7300 for 9 windows, 1 composite door, 1 half door, 1 French door and new fascias and guttering. I think it's a bit expensive but it looks like most companies have plenty of work.
Depends on how big your windows are and if you need structural work.
My dealings with Anglian were poor. Very shifty company. Went with a local company and got all windows and doors fitted without a hitch for around £5k. Really good job too.
Local tradesman.
I'm having 4 Windows fitted on Monday and Tuesday. Two windows are 8' x 4' and two windows are 6' x 4'. Price is £1620 + vat. It's a proper local company who are certass registered so no issues when I sell my house. Window replacement comes under building regs and you should use a company who are certass or fensa registered unless you are having work done where planning permission is required ie for an extension. Depending on your door style I would have thought £5500 would be more like a figure I would expect. Look on the fensa or certass website for an approved local company and get a price from them and not wobbly wobbly Windows with no certificate.
I used 2 fit doors and windows.I wouldn't pay any more than a £1000 4 a door.
Original Poster
Thanks for your replies everyone. I am going to call a local tradesman to do me a quote. Just thought that a company that offers 10 year guarantee may be better than a tradesman that may or may not be around after a few years.

My house consists of 2 doors (I would like back door to be a "barn door")
3 bay windows (2 of them are quite large...(about 114 inches by 67 inches split into 6 panels)
2 smaller windows
1 small window next to the door
And then the windows that are part of the bay windows (classed as 3 windows!!!)

I'll post back when I've been given a quote from local company

Thanks again everyone
aandyr123

Thanks for your replies everyone. I am going to call a local tradesman to … Thanks for your replies everyone. I am going to call a local tradesman to do me a quote. Just thought that a company that offers 10 year guarantee may be better than a tradesman that may or may not be around after a few years. My house consists of 2 doors (I would like back door to be a "barn door")3 bay windows (2 of them are quite large...(about 114 inches by 67 inches split into 6 panels)2 smaller windows1 small window next to the doorAnd then the windows that are part of the bay windows (classed as 3 windows!!!)I'll post back when I've been given a quote from local companyThanks again everyone

The smaller companies may still offer the same warranties as they will often be through a different larger company!

We had a safestyle rep in for a quote for 8 windows (1 a bay window), and 2 doors. When we told him that there were 2 more companies coming after him he knew he had to put a competitive price in and quoted us £6500.
Local company came, wasn't a fan of safestyle as they'd been badmouthing his company so quoted £4000 and threw in a composite door as well. Went with the local and very happy with result
Also gave us 10 year guarantee.
We had five door bifold doors, French doors, ten windows of different sizes and our back door all fitted for £7000
http://www.directwindowco.com/

This company is good try this
This company do composite door cheep to
I had safestyle fit 6 windows, they're badly made, had them back out twice, first time guy thought he had a 5 minute job on his hand, was there an hour documenting the issues I had.
I'd recommend any company that the fitters work for that company, if the fitters get paid a daily rate they'll want to be done ASAP
Original Poster
Wow- Just been quoted £5000 for the quote that started at £22000, then went down to £9000, then £8000, then £7000 then £6500....now £5000. Local company quoted £5300 but that included another small window and a new fascia board around one of my bay windows. Safestyle are including a composite door on the front though....is £5000 a good price

2 Doors (1 composite, 1 stable door)
3 bay windows (2 quite large)
1 kitchen window
1 bedroom window
1 half window next to the front door
All new windowsills on the windows being replaced.
aandyr123

Wow- Just been quoted £5000 for the quote that started at £22000, then w … Wow- Just been quoted £5000 for the quote that started at £22000, then went down to £9000, then £8000, then £7000 then £6500....now £5000. Local company quoted £5300 but that included another small window and a new fascia board around one of my bay windows. Safestyle are including a composite door on the front though....is £5000 a good price2 Doors (1 composite, 1 stable door)3 bay windows (2 quite large)1 kitchen window1 bedroom window1 half window next to the front doorAll new windowsills on the windows being replaced.

I find the problem with large companies like Safestyle is that they begin by treating you like an idiot , quoting ridiculously high figures to start with, then keep trying their luck until at some lower figure you finally bite. Personally I hate being treated like a mug and so by default flatly refuse to deal with companies like this.
Our windows were done by a local firm years back and are still fine now, also came with a 10 year guarantee , independent of the window company. One of the large companies actually came down to slightly less than the local companies price in the end , but I felt I'd have more faith in the guys that gave me an honest quote from day one.
Edited by: "tinkerbellian" 21st Apr 2016
Original Poster
Ok...so I never actually got round to getting my windows and doors fitted. I'm going to try to get it done before Christmas!!! I've just rung directwindowco for a quote. Regarding local companies....is it just a case of phoning around a few and seeing who can give the best deal?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants