what is air polution like where you live / work?

35 Comments
bbc.co.uk/new…393

I live in the north it should be 6 but it is 1 - green,

its not 6 becuase we have lost all most of our industry
4, which isn't as bad as i thought all things considered.

Actually i don't trust that, i just put my mums postcode in and it came up as 2, she lives along the same road I do (A40) i wonder where the nearest polution monitors are for both areas.

Found a map of polution monitor locations, it is as I thought, so i actually don't know what it is here its going to be less then where the monitoring site is as its probably the one stuck on the junction, and my mothers is no where near a monitor, the closest is way away from the main road, seemingly next to a train track.
Edited by: "Segata-Sanshiro" 10th Jan
And if you take the tube it can be as much as 6 times the pollution you breathe at street level.
1 here as well miles same for the district
there are still stretches of road that breach the limits

London is a joke there were places that broke the annual limits within days last year
Glasgow is pretty bad. On certain streets where the buses and taxis bunch together you can feel it when you breath in.
w.h.o has named glasgow many times as having air unfit to breath.
Hope st , is the worst taxis wait outside centra station with thier engines running and buses bunch up beside them near the bus stop.
the link does not work.
put in the postcode for hope st and central station in glasgow and it comes up with a 1
i.e. good,quality air.
but hope st has been in the papers as being named for very bad quality air by the w.h.o.
Edited by: "lumsdot" 10th Jan
last summer went to Manchester I found it very hard to breath and the smell and taste of car fumes was just too much
deleted1597344
1 for me, the most traffic I ever see is the odd tractor.
1 for me, i would be surprised if it was anything else.
Currently a 1 , but the local council have given the go ahead for a incinerator in our town so I’m expecting this to rise a lot 😩
Edited by: "Robjet" 10th Jan
1 which helps make up for regularly visiting London. Its simple to test, go to London for the day and then blow your nose, urrgghhhh.
2 for me...Near to Heathrow.
1. London postcode.
Must be complicated code, return 1 for all postcodes
Can’t see out the window yet.
I’m a 1. But expected that, Norfolk is still green and sparsely populated. Hope you are well, miles. Happy New Year to you 😘
2 :(. This is higher than the street literally next to me.
1 for me too which is ridiculous. Only ten minutes walk from the town centre where the traffic is a nightmare. Average speed through town at the weekend is less than 10mph. Our nearest large Tesco is less then 3 miles away, to get there and back involves 27 sets of traffic lights and 7 roundabouts.
1 where I live. But a few miles along the coast is one of the most polluted roads in the country - and gets a rating of 1
remember the London bus strike of a few years ago, levels in the centre of London fell to near the bottom of the chart that day, but yet its still those terrible car drivers who take the blame.

main stream media never picked it up, and with the exception of old Top Gear it didn't get any main coverage, wonder why that is

businessgreen.com/bg/…sts
1 for me in NW London.
jaketheplumber2 h, 22 m ago

Our nearest large Tesco is less then 3 miles away, to get there and back …Our nearest large Tesco is less then 3 miles away, to get there and back involves 27 sets of traffic lights and 7 roundabouts.

Different route each direction?
harlzter54 m ago

Different route each direction?

Yes a very tortuous one way system.
Segata-Sanshiro10 h, 34 m ago

4, which isn't as bad as i thought all things considered.Actually i don't …4, which isn't as bad as i thought all things considered.Actually i don't trust that, i just put my mums postcode in and it came up as 2, she lives along the same road I do (A40) i wonder where the nearest polution monitors are for both areas.Found a map of polution monitor locations, it is as I thought, so i actually don't know what it is here its going to be less then where the monitoring site is as its probably the one stuck on the junction, and my mothers is no where near a monitor, the closest is way away from the main road, seemingly next to a train track.

It uses a variety of things
earthsense.co.uk/map…faq
mapping the country in 100mx100m plots
eslick3 h, 20 m ago

remember the London bus strike of a few years ago, levels in the centre of …remember the London bus strike of a few years ago, levels in the centre of London fell to near the bottom of the chart that day, but yet its still those terrible car drivers who take the blame. main stream media never picked it up, and with the exception of old Top Gear it didn't get any main coverage, wonder why that is :(https://www.businessgreen.com/bg/news/2394054/oxford-street-pollution-plummeted-during-bus-strike-say-scientists

Wasn't that report based on NO2 levels on Oxford Street, 58 micrograms per cubic metre on day of strike, 172 micrograms per cubic metre averaged on same day of the week over last few weeks.
Looking at those figures you would think buses are terrible, but you are missing one very very large point, 99% of traffic down Oxford Street is buses and taxis. Probably why no one really ran with the story.
I don't think this accounts for the crowd of people vapping at the bus stop one street down.
MIDURIX14 m ago

Wasn't that report based on NO2 levels on Oxford Street, 58 micrograms per …Wasn't that report based on NO2 levels on Oxford Street, 58 micrograms per cubic metre on day of strike, 172 micrograms per cubic metre averaged on same day of the week over last few weeks.Looking at those figures you would think buses are terrible, but you are missing one very very large point, 99% of traffic down Oxford Street is buses and taxis. Probably why no one really ran with the story.

Agree but that’s not the point, the point is the buses are one of the major contributing factors of pollution in our cities and unless you do something about buses and lorries you will never eliminate NO2. What happened to the new generation of London bus that they spent a fortune on designing, it was cancelled because of money all a while car drivers have to pay congestion charge, and there was talk about banning older diesel cars, can’t remember if that happened but keep hitting the motorist is the only plan they have. Even when new diesels are more efficient, cleaner in some extent to petrol and lets not start on the zero emissions which anyone with any sense realises are dirty to make and run
1 for me but think this only picks up certain things because we have air monitoring stations based all over out town. We have a giant cement factory right in the center of the town. It definitely blows out crap most of the time.
eslick14 h, 16 m ago

Agree but that’s not the point, the point is the buses are one of the m …Agree but that’s not the point, the point is the buses are one of the major contributing factors of pollution in our cities and unless you do something about buses and lorries you will never eliminate NO2. What happened to the new generation of London bus that they spent a fortune on designing, it was cancelled because of money all a while car drivers have to pay congestion charge, and there was talk about banning older diesel cars, can’t remember if that happened but keep hitting the motorist is the only plan they have. Even when new diesels are more efficient, cleaner in some extent to petrol and lets not start on the zero emissions which anyone with any sense realises are dirty to make and run

Get the cars out the way so the buses can move quicker, 1 car normally has 1 person in it sometimes as much as 5, a bus is the length of two to three cars holds 80+ you do the maths of each person's carbon footprint there
Segata-Sanshiro7 m ago

Get the cars out the way so the buses can move quicker, 1 car normally has …Get the cars out the way so the buses can move quicker, 1 car normally has 1 person in it sometimes as much as 5, a bus is the length of two to three cars holds 80+ you do the maths of each person's carbon footprint there

you must live in a big city or never go out at night, we have buses every 25 minutes round our way on a night time, never have any body in them, during the day buses every 10 minutes and half full, only time buses are full is at 9.30 when the pensioners can get on with their passes. We live near a big city with a metro system which is well used but the buses in all of the surrounding areas are not utilised very well certainly never full and we cannot be the only one. I know a bus driver who drives a 30 mile route between two big cities, his bus never has more than 10 people on it at a time, so much so that the last two Christmases all of the people who go on the first bus of the day went out for a drink . In London buses are packed, everywhere else no so much. There are many ways to do the maths on this one.
eslick3 m ago

you must live in a big city or never go out at night, we have buses every …you must live in a big city or never go out at night, we have buses every 25 minutes round our way on a night time, never have any body in them, during the day buses every 10 minutes and half full, only time buses are full is at 9.30 when the pensioners can get on with their passes. We live near a big city with a metro system which is well used but the buses in all of the surrounding areas are not utilised very well certainly never full and we cannot be the only one. I know a bus driver who drives a 30 mile route between two big cities, his bus never has more than 10 people on it at a time, so much so that the last two Christmases all of the people who go on the first bus of the day went out for a drink . In London buses are packed, everywhere else no so much. There are many ways to do the maths on this one.

Then they should buy smaller buses, with a less frequent service, but not having roads clogged up with cars would do wonders for the passenger numbers the speed of the journey and the environment.

Why don't you use the bus it sounds like your area is well catered for.
Segata-Sanshiro31 m ago

Then they should buy smaller buses, with a less frequent service, but not …Then they should buy smaller buses, with a less frequent service, but not having roads clogged up with cars would do wonders for the passenger numbers the speed of the journey and the environment.Why don't you use the bus it sounds like your area is well catered for.

sadly for me to get to work it takes 20 minutes in the car, motorway and toll, on a public transport it takes an hour and a half as though, and even though its close you cant cycle the route or walk it and having an early start means its a non starter for me and I know in London you are used to this sort of travel but elsewhere its much different, long the majority will not do long journeys on public transport.

For public transport to work for most you need an integrated quick system, and a low cost one, outside of London it will be a stretch to move people away from cars and penalising the motorist should not be the way forward. Like many things on here we will never agree, sadly
eslick1 h, 38 m ago

sadly for me to get to work it takes 20 minutes in the car, motorway and …sadly for me to get to work it takes 20 minutes in the car, motorway and toll, on a public transport it takes an hour and a half as though, and even though its close you cant cycle the route or walk it and having an early start means its a non starter for me and I know in London you are used to this sort of travel but elsewhere its much different, long the majority will not do long journeys on public transport. For public transport to work for most you need an integrated quick system, and a low cost one, outside of London it will be a stretch to move people away from cars and penalising the motorist should not be the way forward. Like many things on here we will never agree, sadly

I walk mainly its quicker, i blame the cars they clog up the place and those people could be on the bus. The government is closing job centres, i signed on yesterday and was told that Southall job centre is shutting down, they are moving everyone along, so now everyone who signed on there will be signing on at west ealing and all of us who signed on at west ealing will have to sign on at Acton.

This prompted me to look up what the actual distance is, I have no idea about how far a mile is I just walk until I'm too tired, i found out its nearly 3 miles i walk to west Ealing job centre, it takes me about 1 hour, if I get on a bus it takes me about 40 mins.
33050000-wR8m2.jpg

Yay - fresh air (please don't stalk me!)

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions