What is best to go by? BMI or Body fat?

29 replies
Found 8th Jun 2011
I am just wondering what is best to read when trying to get to a healthy weight?

Only im dropping my target again, but many are telling me I shouldn't, But according to the BMI chart I could get to my new target and lose 12lb on top of that too before I get out of my BMI range.

Or should I just be working on my body fat reading?

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
29 Comments

Banned

Just post a photo and we'll tell you if you're fat or not.

BMI is a rough guide but ignores certain factors. How are you doing a body fat measurement?

Banned

i think your body fat would be better thsan your bmi. i dont think your bmi gives a totally correct reading

Original Poster

FilthAndFurry

Just post a photo and we'll tell you if you're fat or not.BMI is a rough … Just post a photo and we'll tell you if you're fat or not.BMI is a rough guide but ignores certain factors. How are you doing a body fat measurement?

I have a pair of scales which measure it for me, But I also did the calc online which gets me to measure my waist, hips, wrist, fore arm, and it told me a lower amount from my scales upstairs.

Not small, only want another 12lb off really

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/beth3735/holiday.jpg

I can't see any issues, with losing that bit more.

BMI can be skewed if you work out a lot for example, most people in the Olympics doing weight lifting or shotput and similar would be classed as obese.

I tnink it's best to go on body shape rather than weight.

You'll know yourself when you look in the mirror.

Original Poster

I think I will have to go with the Body fat then. its just daft my BMI would let me go into the 7st range and I just thought that was daft for my height.

beth3735

I have a pair of scales which measure it for me, But I also did the calc … I have a pair of scales which measure it for me, But I also did the calc online which gets me to measure my waist, hips, wrist, fore arm, and it told me a lower amount from my scales upstairs.Not small, only want another 12lb off reallyI can't see any issues, with losing that bit more.

You don't need to lose any weight, your figure is great.

Original Poster

Its all about being happy isn't it. Thank you though. I will stick with the body fat numbers rather than weight numbers then.

12lb? Where from?
How much does your hat weigh, maybe get rid of that first

Pictures a bit small but you don't look fat at all.

Pity, I was going to say just count the number of chins but you've ruined that now. X)

Original Poster

maccy1

12lb? Where from?How much does your hat weigh, maybe get rid of that … 12lb? Where from?How much does your hat weigh, maybe get rid of that first

haha I was so greatful for that hat after burning my scalp in hair parting on 1st day of hol.

Edited by: "beth3735" 8th Jun 2011

Dont think you need to loose any weight atall as i cant see any that is there to be lost.

But if your going to try and gaugue it, your best to go on the body fat, due to the BMI being a rough guide that doesnt tell you much.

What is best to go by? BMI or Body fat?

Have to laugh though - when I first read it I thought you were asking which airline wondered why the body fat came into the equation.

Going by your picture I don't think you should either.. Pretty sure another 12 will leave you looking too thin?
Im the opposite end and can't gain a thing.. Thats no fun either and you soon tire of people telling you to go eat a burger!

Maybe toning up a bit would help you feel better?

honestly - you look fine as you are - but it's personal preference I guess?

Have you thought of toning up instead of focusing of losing weight ? You look slimmer , and gain muscle mass - pilates . yoga swimming , at home exercises will help -

Nikki999

Going by your picture I don't think you should either.. Pretty sure … Going by your picture I don't think you should either.. Pretty sure another 12 will leave you looking too thin?Im the opposite end and can't gain a thing.. Thats no fun either and you soon tire of people telling you to go eat a burger!Maybe toning up a bit would help you feel better?

Thats the best advice - yoga is brilliant, if you tone up fast you only need to do 2 x 30 mins sessions a week to keep your figure once achieved.

Banned

beth3735

I have a pair of scales which measure it for me, But I also did the calc … I have a pair of scales which measure it for me, But I also did the calc online which gets me to measure my waist, hips, wrist, fore arm, and it told me a lower amount from my scales upstairs.Not small, only want another 12lb off reallyI can't see any issues, with losing that bit more.

you're not fat, and you would get it.

Anyone else need reviewing?
Edited by: "vibeone" 8th Jun 2011

zumba:) and all the body classes great fun at the gym and help tone up and stop you from becoming a puure stick thin thing.

Anyone else need reviewing?

Me (no homo)

Banned

DannyM

Me (no homo)

Lovely pair of ****, and a great length too.

Lovely pair of ****, and a great length too.

Cheers 'Brah'

Original Poster

I do 3 classes of Zumba a week and 1 session in the gym, Plus daily sessions on the I-Fit plates. But I do think I would be so much happier if my body would just tone up smaller! lol

then do a bit of both ie weight loss , but at a slow rate and toning ?

beth u are HAWT! dont need to lose anymore unless u want to. but why are u wanting to lose more....if u look good (tick) and fit all ur small clothes again are u doing it to satisfy some maths equation or because u are unhappy at ur current weight

Original Poster

Unhappy at this size, so was just wondering which way of numbers (BMI or BF) was best to go by.
I will go by the Body fat though.

how do you measure body fat?
Edited by: "astonmart4321" 8th Jun 2011

Banned

astonmart4321

how do you measure body fat?

grab a fist of belly. If you can, you're a fatty.

vibeone

grab a fist of belly. If you can, you're a fatty.

god - its official then

Beth, you're a woman with a fabulous figure, you are supposed to have some fat to give you a rounded figure.

I know what you are saying about how you feel you look but please take care about the body image signals that you might inadvertently send to your daughter.

You are fit and slim so settle for that and don't get hung up on clothes sizes BMI etc. These are only averages anyway.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition63678
    2. Win two star gazing festival tickets in the north pennines21
    3. Win a google pixel phone at Stylist1111
    4. win free cash32

See more discussions