what is best to use to keep the cats out of my garden

35 replies
Found 11th May 2008
as the title says really, i have a hurd of cats that just love my garden ( to tease next doors jack russell) and i want rid of them , went out to mow the garden today and it took 2 hours to clean up the cat mess, we have a young son so im not best pleased as he stood in it!
we cant even leave out the bouncy castle cos they will burst it.
so any ideas would be great and the must be kind ( ive tried throwing water at them and a shoe didnt work) i'm not a cat person ( i dispise them) but i'm not cruel either.

35 Comments

sprinkle pepper round the garden - cats cant stand it and will stear clear of the place

we've used it to keep them away from our plants

Buy a Big Dog!

Ours does the job a treat!!

You can get little things that detect movement and emit a high pitch noise that cats can hear and hate, but humans cannot.

Buy a cat! I know it sounds silly but cats are territorial so a cat of your own will chase others away, and you can train yours to use a litter tray not your garden.

Other than that a small water gun lightly sprayed at them will chase them off. Don't soak them though or their owners will complain!

We've got one of those high pitched sound things when ever a cat goes into the garden, it goes off and scared them away.
Unfortunately, they're not silent, you can hear it.
Also, any movement will set it off, including bushes being blown in the wind.
If your garden is predominantly grass then the skins of citrus fruits, cut up will deter them. We use lemon skin on our front garden.

I have the same problem:x

about 3 cats use my back yard as a toilet.

Home Bargains sell this cat reppellant that does work. however after a few days its turns into a horrible jelly like mess.

I too would be greatful for any ideas.

Bucket fulls of water do work but only the once:whistling:

Right im out the back garden now with my 2 foot long wooden pepper mill.

If anyone sees me they will think i have gone mad....

Cats don't like anything citrus, orange or lemon peeled skin should do the trick.

I have heard if you get a small plastic pot (the little round plastic camera film holders used to be the best) soak cotton wall in bleach and put inside and bury just under the surface of the dirt is supposed to work. I must admit I have not tried it but my friend used to swear by it!

Garlic or lemon juice on fences and stones is quite good

orange peel.

fill empty lemonade bottles and leave them in the Garden .

sinilar idea but you get to point and aim yourself also comes with laser sights! godfrey-diy.co.uk/pes…tml
£9.99 in Wilko's

Banned

Take pictures of them and add stupid text. They will leave disgusted.

kidcat;2076050

Buy a cat! I know it sounds silly but cats are territorial so a cat of … Buy a cat! I know it sounds silly but cats are territorial so a cat of your own will chase others away, and you can train yours to use a litter tray not your garden.

Mine don't even poop in my garden, they must go to other peoples gardens..

vinylandtrinkets;2076069

i was thinking of those sonic repeller things but if humans can hear it … i was thinking of those sonic repeller things but if humans can hear it not a good idea.

Especially as your sons hearing will be even better...

We had a small front yard at old house about 8 x 2ft and used upturned plastic forks in between the plants so as when the cat sat to do a poop it soon stood again and went elsewhere! They soon learn though and stayed away after a while!

Take pictures of them and add stupid text. They will leave disgusted.

pmsl

fill up some empty bottles with water and spread them across your garden, i heard this works

vinylandtrinkets;2076137

oh so children can hear the sonic repellers?? not a good idea after all

similar to this: mobango.com/med…lU= in fact download that and play it back when the cats appear!

Banned

Scarecrow?

egg shells - they hate walking on them

harlzter;2076190

similar to this: … similar to this: http://www.mobango.com/media_details/high_15_buzz/HTpuiZGyelU= in fact download that and play it back when the cats appear!

Just deafened me!

make a plywood cut out of a life sized cat and peg it in your garden.cats generally don't like other cats on their territory.;-)

There is a plant that is supposed to work - Coleus canina. I found a website selling it and here is the link.
hangingbasketsdirect.com/Pro…156

Don't whatever you do plant catnip as they love this and will sleep in it!
Good luck and hope to hear if it works.

Get a super soaker gun and have fun shooting the cats!

Banned

I tried everything, from water filled bottles, to orange and lemon, to pepper and discs (they're supposed to see reflection and think its another cat) and nothing worked, i got a sonic thing in the end and it worked, although yes you cqn hear the noise you do it get used to it, its not an horrendous noise, and when the kids where out playing i used to turn it off anyway, as it would eat the batteries as was continually going off when kids in garden, it hasnt really worked for about 2 years now (need a new one) the cats have never really come back though (next door has about 6 of them that used to used my garden as their lav

tazxxx;2076048

You can get little things that detect movement and emit a high pitch … You can get little things that detect movement and emit a high pitch noise that cats can hear and hate, but humans cannot.

People near my school used to have these, if you have good hearing you can hear it.

I could hear it, it gives you a headache for the rest of the day:x.

Here's a few idea's that I heard years ago : soot ,you know the stuff you got from your chimneys in the olden days , they [cat's] dont like it ............ clear water/pop bottles filled with water and finally a wood cut out [in the shape of a cat] but use 2 road cat's eye's glued into 2 holes in the head [ possibly all cats should have these , preferably from a hunting rile ......joking , of course],dont go looking down the center reservation on the M1 for these glass eye's though .............

Another one is Lion Poo, they really hate it!! You need a nice expensive holida though if you want to collect your own!! Check ebay, I bet they are selling it!

Just had another thought, my dad uses silver foil trays that he hangs up as they hate the noise and the shining of them. Marbles in the ground are supposed to scare them. I know years ago we had the same problem and we were desparate, we put moth balls down everywhere which was kind of effective. Now at the bottom of our garden we have fencing and bought some plastic spikey things you screw into the top so they can't walk along them to get in, great for foxes too if they have to land on the fence instead of jumping straight over.

lesleyann40;2076251

There is a plant that is supposed to work - Coleus canina.

Lavender is also good for this :thumbsup:

dcx_badass please stop thread spoiling and posting inappropriate replies. Thanks!

juicyx;2076087

fill empty lemonade bottles and leave them in the Garden .

I was going to suggest this, it's supposed to work well but i don't know.

Banned

dcx_badass;2078232

It wasn't really inappropriate, it was a valid responce. just because you … It wasn't really inappropriate, it was a valid responce. just because you don't agree with it, it doesn't mean it's wrong.

:roll::roll:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition53491
    2. Free Soap & Glory Bath Bomb (High Score)22
    3. Win an all-inclusive holiday to Antigua, including flights!33
    4. Win a Blink home security and monitoring system, worth £269.99 @ Netmums11

See more discussions