What is cash back?

Found 19th Nov 2017
I know this may be a dumbo question but I genuinely have no idea. I keep seeing people mentioning cash back x % back. But what exactly does it mean?

For example I buy £100 phone and get 5% cash back? Do does that mean my phone is 5% off and I will be credited £5 back to my account? Like that?

Also what are the websites do you use for cash back? Quidco? Do people use that?

Appreciate the help
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
For exampleMoney is paid into your topcashback account u can the take the cash out or vouchers
To be honest, it is a dumbo question. Type "cashback" into search engine .... and voila, what do you see.
Bandicoot29 m ago

For exampleMoney is paid into your topcashback account u can the take the …For exampleMoney is paid into your topcashback account u can the take the cash out or vouchers

Thanks. Do you know any good cash back apps for IOS? Do people stick with 1 website or use multiple? I can see there’s quite a lot of cash back apps but not sure which one to use
steve.t18 m ago

To be honest, it is a dumbo question. Type "cashback" into search engine …To be honest, it is a dumbo question. Type "cashback" into search engine .... and voila, what do you see.

Bandicoot wrote:
For exampleMoney is paid into your topcashback account u can the take the cash out or vouchers

Thanks. Do you know any good cash back apps for IOS? Do people stick with 1 website or use multiple? I can see there’s quite a lot of cash back apps but not sure which one to use
Do most things have cash back or just certain company’s?
I only use topcashback but quidco are probably just as good or better. Not all retailers use these sites but most do
Bandicoot4 m ago

I only use topcashback but quidco are probably just as good or better. Not …I only use topcashback but quidco are probably just as good or better. Not all retailers use these sites but most do

Do they send me a card or can I just do this on my phone?
Do it on the app
What no one had mentioned is...You must open the TCB or Quidco App and visit the retailer via the link on the site. That way they record the visit. Also read the terms and conditions as some are a bit sneaky and prohibitive. Sometimes you get extra cash back if you have it via paypal for example.
Check the Apps frequently as there are often promotions.
For joining a cashback program you usually get special promotions such as £15 cashback when you spend £15 on a particular item or service - worth signing up and waiting for one you like, often in an email.
Edited by: "mrty" 19th Nov 2017
Sophia, why do you have to ask this question? If you bought something from me for £100 and I give you £5 cash back, what is that result? Let's simplify the maths a little and change the question to what is the result of 100 - 5. Percentages are a little bit more complex but the idea is the same.

When you have one of those scatter-brain moments, just take a breath and relax. Think logically and break down the problem into a few easy steps. Now, that's not too difficult is it?
deleted568030
DaveTaylor3 h, 58 m ago

Sophia, why do you have to ask this question? If you bought something from …Sophia, why do you have to ask this question? If you bought something from me for £100 and I give you £5 cash back, what is that result? Let's simplify the maths a little and change the question to what is the result of 100 - 5. Percentages are a little bit more complex but the idea is the same.When you have one of those scatter-brain moments, just take a breath and relax. Think logically and break down the problem into a few easy steps. Now, that's not too difficult is it?

I knew a Dave Taylor back in the '70s, the friendship didn't last long, he was a humourless, patronising, jobs worth. Good to see you're still alive though.
It might be worth saying as well, it can take months for the cashback to get to you, sometimes it never does.
It took Voda 2 years to pay out once, so it's not something to use and rely upon or do if you need the funds next week!
deleted56803020th Nov 2017

I knew a Dave Taylor back in the '70s, the friendship didn't last long, he …I knew a Dave Taylor back in the '70s, the friendship didn't last long, he was a humourless, patronising, jobs worth. Good to see you're still alive though.

Let's face it, this is not difficult and is something a fully grown adult (assuming the OP is one) should be capable of. Yes, my quote was with every intent, rather condescending, but no, it was not an attempt at humour. The amount of nonsensical questions asked in these forums appears to be rather ubiquitous. Quite recently, someone asked what one should do when the retailer had charged him twice for a transaction - that was a rather silly question but the OP asking how to define the word "cash back" really is confounding. The OP even admits it!
Edited by: "DaveTaylor" 20th Nov 2017
deleted568030
DaveTaylor2 h, 35 m ago

Let's face it, this is not difficult and is something a fully grown adult …Let's face it, this is not difficult and is something a fully grown adult (assuming the OP is one) should be capable of. Yes, my quote was with every intent, rather condescending, but no, it was not an attempt at humour. The amount of nonsensical questions asked in these forums appears to be rather ubiquitous. Quite recently, someone asked what one should do when the retailer had charged him twice for a transaction - that was a rather silly question but the OP asking how to define the word "cash back" really is confounding. The OP even admits it!

Tbh, I was a little unsure of whether you were attempting to be humourous or not, but having checked most of your replies in other posts I quickly realised that what you lack in humour you more than make up for with your condescending and patronising responses. True, not every question asked on here needs an Einstein to answer it, but I can't help thinking that had the op been "big butch Bill" your reply would have taken a different tone.

P.S I did actually go out with a Dave Taylor in the early '70s - you didn't join the merchant navy by any chance did you?
Enough of the condescending idiots on Ask. If you don't want to answer a question, buzz off. Leave it to someone else to answer.

There are plenty of helpful people who are prepared to answer questions and help others. It doesn't matter whether a question is dumb or not, the fact that someone has asked a question, means that they want to know the answer, simple as that. They don't have to go to google, if they ask here and no one answers, they will go to google or other resources quick enough.

In answer to your question OP, cashback are mainly done through 2 websites, Topcashback and Quidco. You make a purchase through their website and you pay the normal price. They claim the percentage cashback for you from the retailers, so if you bought something for £100, and the cashback is 5%, they claim the £5 back for you from the retailer and credit it to your account. It can take a few months for the cashback to be credited to your account, and some cashback fails completely and you end up with no cashback, so it is never guaranteed, only a bonus when it works.

It is great if you make lots of purchases on line, as it only works with online purchases, as it is money for nothing as you would have had to pay for those purchases any way, whether you get cash back or not.
deleted56803020th Nov 2017

Tbh, I was a little unsure of whether you were attempting to be humourous …Tbh, I was a little unsure of whether you were attempting to be humourous or not, but having checked most of your replies in other posts I quickly realised that what you lack in humour you more than make up for with your condescending and patronising responses. True, not every question asked on here needs an Einstein to answer it, but I can't help thinking that had the op been "big butch Bill" your reply would have taken a different tone.P.S I did actually go out with a Dave Taylor in the early '70s - you didn't join the merchant navy by any chance did you?

The reply is totally unrelated to the OP's moniker. Where people ask such dumbfounded questions, they should not have their hands held or be spoon-fed and that includes Big Butch Bill! Occasionally, I offer training courses to our clients and I will never spoon feed them, especially those who ask stupid questions.

I agree, belittling someone by condescension is excessive but after reading post after post after post of comments from people who ask the most ridiculous questions or people who don't have the capability of expressing themselves correctly, the frustration took over and I resorted to the above comment - which I may hasten to add, actually does contain some good advice!

As for joining the merchant navy, that's for you to find out!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants