Groups

What is it bread ****?

Following on from the jaffa cake cake thread what do you call a bread thing?

I call it a thing as ill guarntee youll call it something different to me :giggle:

Ive heard it be called a bread cake, balm, roll etc.

Being a yorkshire lass to me its a bread CAKE

97 Comments

never heard of a break cake..., please tell me more

Original Poster

You didnt say what you call it :giggle:

Its one of those things you buy from the bakers/supermarkets, there round, and have no crusts, its well hard to explain them without there correct name :giggle:

If i knew what the hell u were on about I'd of said ;-)

Scone/Bun hybrid?

Lump of dough badly cooked?

Ugly ******* bun?

It's freaking bread...

Original Poster

:giggle: i cant find a perfect picture, hold on, ive just remembered the ones i buy, ill go get them then youll understand....

Joshanna

http://www.thelocalshop.com/admin/ContentImages/Bread.jpg

That, m'dear, is a Batch

Original Poster

Ooooh not heard that before, do you mean batch as is because there are 12?
    Or you call them a bread batch?

Its a bread cake, Joshy another Yorkshire lass here!!!

I lived in Manchester a few years ago and they call it a Barm Cake i could never ask for one as it made me laugh.

Some people call them Baps!!!!:giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

Original Poster

BECKYBOO

Its a bread cake, Joshy another Yorkshire lass here!!!I lived in … Its a bread cake, Joshy another Yorkshire lass here!!!I lived in Manchester a few years ago and they call it a Barm Cake i could never ask for one as it made me laugh. Some people call them Baps!!!!:giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

Woohooo rock on!
    I know dinosteveus will probably be on our side when he arrives later :giggle:

Batch?
    I feel like im getting an education here... but clearly I just have far too much time on my hands

a roll! hampshire girly my fiances a born n bred geordie and he used to call them summit different but now hes changed to roll like me! i think he mite have called it bap????:? :?

I love baps me...

no no no no your all wrong they are COBS.
    cob yes cob not breadcake its a cob yes a cob not a bap or a barm its a cob in the midlands YES ITS A COB or is it a BUTTY oh no now i am confused no its a COB and thats it.

Have to agree in the mids its a cob or a roll,but now living up north and they seem to want to call it a balm???

Joshanna

The best picture i can find is this … The best picture i can find is this :]http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.foodprocessing-technology.com/projects/warburtons-super/images/1-WAKE2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.foodprocessing-technology.com/projects/warburtons-super/warburtons-super1.html&h=300&w=400&sz=45&hl=en&start=12&tbnid=FcyXi01GrSZhJM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dwarburtons%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D

That's a bap

Bap, Roll or Bun as in Burger Bun on the Sunny South Coast, the long ones would be called Finger Rolls. Does not matter if they are single or joined up. :-D

Original Poster

:giggle: maybe we should have a little poll on this one :giggle:
    I could never call them baps

Bread Bun where i come from.:)

bainbrij

Have to agree in the mids its a cob or a roll,but now living up north and … Have to agree in the mids its a cob or a roll,but now living up north and they seem to want to call it a balm???

Please dont confuse your "UP NORTH" I assume you live in the North West???? On the right side of the Pennines we definitely call it a bread cake!!!!! lol :thinking:

Welcome to HUKD

I know what a Bread Cake is :thumbsup:
    When I left Yorkshire, I had a right problem trying to get hold of them. Most 'foreigners' didn't know what I wanted.:p

Original Poster

:giggle: so three votes for bread cake woohooo!

Bun, Burger Bun, Roll or Bap for me I'd guess

http://xs411.xs.to/xs411/07015/1-WAKE2.jpg

Buns, rolls, baps are all eaten in our house, and are all the same thing.

(Telford, Shropshire)

Def a roll round these parts

Sorry, are we talking "cobs", here?

[SIZE=2]im from northwest (nr manchester), and i'd have to go with barm cake but thats for the large ones, those little tiddlers you put up josh are called bread rolls.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]so if you were to go into a chippy and ask for a chip barm, chip bap or a chip cake? [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]a chip cake just sounds stupid![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]

Is it a roll your talking about ? Ive NEVER heard it called anything else.....!

landofdan

[SIZE=2]im from northwest (nr manchester), and i'd have to go with barm … [SIZE=2]im from northwest (nr manchester), and i'd have to go with barm cake but thats for the large ones, those little tiddlers you put up josh are called bread rolls.[/SIZE][SIZE=2][/SIZE] [SIZE=2]so if you were to go into a chippy and ask for a chip barm, chip bap or a chip cake? [/SIZE][SIZE=2][/SIZE] [SIZE=2]a chip cake just sounds stupid![/SIZE][SIZE=2][/SIZE]

To me these are rolls.

I've never heard of Barm Cake but I have seen Barm Brack? What is this??

Barmbrack is a ][COLOR=#0000ff]yeasted[/COLOR]][COLOR=#0000ff]bread[/COLOR] with added ][COLOR=#0000ff]sultanas[/COLOR] and ][COLOR=#0000ff]raisins[/COLOR]. Usually sold in flattened rounds, it is often served ][COLOR=#0000ff]toasted[/COLOR] with ][COLOR=#0000ff]butter[/COLOR] along with a cup of ][COLOR=#0000ff]tea[/COLOR] in the afternoon. The ][COLOR=#0000ff]dough[/COLOR] is sweeter than sandwich bread, but not as rich as ][COLOR=#0000ff]cake[/COLOR], and the sultanas and raisins add flavour and texture to the final product. In ][COLOR=#0000ff]Ireland[/COLOR] it is sometimes called Báirín Breac, and the term is also used as two words in its more common version.

sounds like a tea cake to me! here we go again....

lol, thxs for that. I was thinking of Tea Cake too!!!! Yummy!! :w00t:

In Great Britain and Ireland a teacake is a light, yeast-based bun typically split, toasted, buttered, and served with tea. It is flat, circular and roughly 15cm in diameter, with a smooth brown upper surface and a somewhat lighter underside.

In certain areas of West Yorkshire e.g. Halifax the term teacake is often used to describe a flatbread bun without the addition of currents/sultanas, outside of this region some may use the term cob, bread roll, bread bun, bread cake or Barm cake. This type of teacake could be traditionally served with Fish & Chips. Marks & Spencers retail outlet sell "Traditional Yorkshire Teacakes" which resemble plain bread rolls.

In other areas of West Yorkshire the more traditional toasted and buttered teacake is known as a "Fat Rascal".

In Kent the tea cake is known as a Huffkin, which is often flavoured with hops, especially at the time of harvesting hops in September

An unrelated confectionery product, made in Scotland, is the Tunnock's Tea Cake.

In the southeast of the United States, a tea cake is a traditional cookie, similar to a sugar cookie.

In Australia a teacake is a larger cake of the type made with a mixture of flour, eggs, fat and sugar. It is served sliced as an accompaniment to tea. Australian teacakes are sometimes sprinkled with cinnamon and fine (caster) sugar, and are often served warm from the oven.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teacake"

Were talking Rolls in these ere' parts, a bakers dozen

Bread Bun (from Teesside)

......its a roll here too.

bap or roll, batch or barm - depends which accent i'm using at the time!

as a lancs lass it's deffo a barm:)

for the yorkshire folk it's a bread cake(pronounced bret cake,if i am not mistaken!)

for the southern softies(apologies:giggle: ) it's a roll

a teacake has fruit in it.

that should clear it up:p
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk88
      2. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card44
      3. WIN AN UNFORGETTABLE TRIP TO SAN FRANCISCO11
      4. LG G6 International [email protected] droidauthority22

See more discussions