Groups

What is R5???

People keep banging on about watching a movie in R5, what is it FFS?

R Don?
    - peteivy

36 Comments

R5's a leaked pirate copy of a movie that shows dvd quality before the dvd release

basically not as good quality as dvd but better quality than a cam/telesync

Original Poster

so, its illegal or not

because piracy was so rife in russia some of the big studios decided that a quick official release may mean russians would buy the disc rather than a copy cammed in a cinema.

of course,now its only necessary to get this copy(in russian),go into an american cinema and record the english soundtrack and then sync it to the movie thus producing very high quality bootlegs.

skusey;6222224

so, its illegal or not

It's an illegal copy yes

skusey;6222224

so, its illegal or not

legal in russia only.

Original Poster

souljacker;6222235

It's an illegal copy yes

Then, it is not for me, will watch in in the flicks.

"very high quality"

Is that relative to the normally dire bootlegs.

Original Poster

barky;6222241

legal in russia only.

Too far to go, sounds crap anyway:)

nikkib123;6222216

Tags - very funny ha ha

+ 1...Naughty...but funny!

abomination;6222253

"very high quality"Is that relative to the normally dire bootlegs.

R5 is basically as near as you will get to dvd quality, without it being a dvd rip.

From wikipedia:

An R5 is a release made with a telecine machine from an analog source. Unlike a TC, the digitization is performed by the studio itself with very professional (and expensive) equipment and usually from the original source. The purpose of it is to create a high quality digital copy (usually for a later DVD release). But unlike a DVD, an R5 is released before the digital post-processing is finished. The quality of the rips can differ, but an R5 can be almost indistinguishable from a DVDRip since many movies are published on DVD with minimal editing.

The name R5 refers to DVD Region 5, which includes the former Soviet Union, the Indian subcontinent, and much of Africa. In an effort to compete with movie piracy in these areas, the movie industry chose to create a new format for DVD releases that could be produced more quickly and less expensively than traditional DVD releases. R5 releases differ from normal releases in that they often lack both the image post-processing and special features that are common on DVD releases. This allows the film to be released for sale at the same time that DVD screeners are released. Since these screeners are the chief source of high-quality pre-DVD release pirated movies (in comparison to cam or telesync, mostly), this allows the movie studios to beat the pirates to market. Bootlegged copies of these releases are often distributed on the Internet and in some cases, R5 DVDs may be released without an English audio track, requiring pirates to use the direct line audio from the film's theatrical release. In this case, the pirated release will be tagged with ".LINE" to distinguish it from a release with a DVD audio track.

I know what "R5" usually means quality wise, I certainly wouldn't call it high quality.. definitely not very high quality - perhaps passable if you can't wait for a decent rip.

Maybe I'm just being picky, I normally wait for a 720p BR rip at the very least or a complete DVD rip at a push.

moob;6222274

R5 is basically as near as you will get to dvd quality, without it being … R5 is basically as near as you will get to dvd quality, without it being a dvd rip.

yep:thumbsup: nothing wrong with the quality of R5 rips :thumbsup:

abomination;6222287

I know what "R5" usually means quality wise, I certainly wouldn't call it … I know what "R5" usually means quality wise, I certainly wouldn't call it high quality.. definitely not very high quality - perhaps passable if you can't wait for a decent rip.

i'd call it high quality, you must be downloading poor rips ;-)

No I'm not downloading them at all now because I'd rather watch a film in high quality (video & audio) on a decent sized screen (even if it means waiting longer) rather than watching what was already only a passable rip, upscaled with pretty dire audio.

But that's just me.

Banned

abomination;6222253

"very high quality"Is that relative to the normally dire bootlegs.

not at all - R5 is normally about 9.5/10 for video and audio if a genuine dvd is 10/10

abomination;6222367

No I'm not downloading them at all now because I'd rather watch a film in … No I'm not downloading them at all now because I'd rather watch a film in high quality (video & audio) on a decent sized screen (even if it means waiting longer) rather than watching what was already only a passable rip, upscaled with pretty dire audio.But that's just me.

so if you are not downloading them where do you get your BR rip's from?

I watch my R5's on a big plasma screen, perfect sound and audio:thumbsup:

Banned

souljacker;6222304

i'd call it high quality, you must be downloading poor rips ;-)

+1 :thumbsup:

upscaled on my 50" via a PS3 is barely any difference to a proper dvd

District 9 R5 10/10 as far a R5's go

souljacker;6222438

so if you are not downloading them where do you get your BR rip's from?I … so if you are not downloading them where do you get your BR rip's from?I watch my R5's on a big plasma screen, perfect sound and audio:thumbsup:

I'm the exact same as him.

And BR rips are pretty easy to find.:thumbsup:

If you think r5's are 'high quality' you must think VHS is standard DVD quality.

t0mm;6222470

I'm the exact same as him.And BR rips are pretty easy to … I'm the exact same as him.And BR rips are pretty easy to find.:thumbsup:If you think r5's are 'high quality' you must think VHS is standard DVD quality.

I do know where to get BR rips from thanks :? same place i get my R5's, i was merely asking the poster who doesn't download but gets BR rips

And yes R5's are hight quality, the same as dvd rips

I don't download poor rips (=CAM, TS, R5, DVDRip & others) like I said above.

DVDR or Blu-ray (HD-DVD) rip, otherwise I'm just not interested.

barky;6222229

because piracy was so rife in russia some of the big studios decided that … because piracy was so rife in russia some of the big studios decided that a quick official release may mean russians would buy the disc rather than a copy cammed in a cinema.of course,now its only necessary to get this copy(in russian),go into an american cinema and record the english soundtrack and then sync it to the movie thus producing very high quality bootlegs.

What he said.

Usually a really good picture with tinny sound.

abomination;6223272

I don't download poor rips (=CAM, TS, R5, DVDRip & others) like I said … I don't download poor rips (=CAM, TS, R5, DVDRip & others) like I said above.DVDR or Blu-ray (HD-DVD) rip, otherwise I'm just not interested.

R5 and dvd rips are NOT poor rips, sound and picture are high quality, it's the TS and cams that are poor.

Oh and a dvdrip is a dvdr ;-) so you either download it or you don't

dcx_badass;6223615

I think they mean an image of the DVD by DVDR and not a compressed … I think they mean an image of the DVD by DVDR and not a compressed avi/divx (dvdrip).

^^ This

Our definition of "high quality" obviously differs greatly.

DVDR [DVD5/DVD9]

DVDRip [1/2 CD]

Savvy?

ah right, still no noticeable difference in audio or sound quality

abomination;6223676

Our definition of "high quality" obviously differs greatly.DVDR … Our definition of "high quality" obviously differs greatly.DVDR [DVD5/DVD9]DVDRip [1/2 CD]Savvy?

well obviously we do differ yes, still R5 and DVDrip's are just as good as dvdr ;-)

dcx_badass;6223885

Yes there is it's actually a suprisingly big difference, between say a … Yes there is it's actually a suprisingly big difference, between say a retail DVD and a avi dvd rip/

we are not talking about retail dvd's though,we are talking downloaded rips, be it dvdr or dvd rip

If you download either there is no "big difference" not the ones i'm downloading anyway

AGREED !!
    Dc clearly doesn't follow the thread well pmsl

souljacker

we are not talking about retail dvd's though,we are talking downloaded … we are not talking about retail dvd's though,we are talking downloaded rips, be it dvdr or dvd ripIf you download either there is no "big difference" not the ones i'm downloading anyway

kev_u8701r

AGREED !! Dc clearly doesn't follow the thread well pmsl

I'm intrigued to know what you were thinking of and replying to an old thread.
    Edited by: "exStudent" 8th Dec 2010

Banned

I usually wait for a BDR but R5/DVDR are practically the same for me
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…66
      2. wharf comp - win a michael grant watch - email entry only22
      3. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card11
      4. computer active mag comp - win one of two y-cam protect alarm systems worth…44

See more discussions