What is SKY Broadband MID like?

I am thinking of moving from Plusnet to Sky Broadband.

I am then going to get a website hosting plane from Easily so that I have all the features I had with Plusnet.

I just wanted to know of peoples experiences with Sky Broadband.

Also I have a router all configured with DHCP, MAC Address Control etc. Do you just get a username and password from sky or do they send you a configured router?

22 Comments

I believe they send you a set router which you have to use and cant use other ones as the username and password is stored in the router.

Its ok, far better rep than Plusnet but still has problems.

But I dont have it so cant say

We have the mid package, they sent us a netgear wireless router already configured, with instructions etc. should you need to change anything.

I have sky and need to reset now and then, apart from that think it is a lot better than Tiscali and plus net I had before.

I know 9 people who have Sky BB, and all but 1 say it is the worst internet they have ever had (in terms of reliability).

I'm moving from Plusnet to O2 BB on Thursday.........if your a customer, then it is really cheap & unlimited (fair use)

im with Sky broardband, the (max)ultimate package (£10) a month, and never had a problem, have to reset my router once every few months or so, but other than that really fast connection, and never been any downtime or anything!

My sis has sky bb she says its very slow always kicking her off not reliable at all. We have AOL been with them for years never had a prob.:-D

Hmm.. I have Sky Broadband for free and for value for money its pretty good ;-)

Seriously the free package is good on wired although not the quikcest thing in the book, my wireless to desktop used to be slow but that was more the desktops fault.
Seems good with my new laptop

Original Poster

ChrisUK;1545412

I know 9 people who have Sky BB, and all but 1 say it is the worst … I know 9 people who have Sky BB, and all but 1 say it is the worst internet they have ever had (in terms of reliability).I'm moving from Plusnet to O2 BB on Thursday.........if your a customer, then it is really cheap & unlimited (fair use)

Please let me know how your move to O2 and the service is as this is an option for me that I had not considered.

If you want to check out more opinions- check out the forums on [url]www.skyuser.co.uk[/url].

I take it you guys are talking about Sky Broadband through a Mac network since we are on a Mac channel (I was anyway). If so I looked at this a couple of months ago and the Sky website said Windows systems supported (i.e no mention of Apple Mac). Jump to the bottom of this post if your Windows and you just want some broadband feedback.

Broadband and telephony have nothing to do with Windows or Mac systems I know - if the router is Mac compliant (Zoom, Belkin, Netgear etc) and you have the IP and password info from your service provider your good to go but on the Sky website it mentioned that the router needed an installation (Windows) programme to work.

I'm always suspicious when ISP's IMPOSE equipment or software on you when you know darn well it's really simple and not needed. Talk Talk is the same - they told my brother "its our modem or you cannot use the service" last year and it turned out to be a very old hardware and software dial-in combo even though they described it as Broadband (which should be always on). Keeps dropping the connection - that's if it chooses to log in at all with 250 people sharing the same connection (according to a BT engineer I know). Rubbish.

Broadband Feedback
Although I hate to say it, BT have been voted best Mac Broadband for the last couple of years and I have personally been with them for the last 4 with no problems. They are happy for me to run my own LAN (9 Macs and PC's + network printer + XBox hidden behind one IP), my own switchs (two) and my own wired/WiFi combination modem setup. 8MB regular with 10 MB on a good day in Leeds.

Just downloaded a 1 GB XBox 360 game tonight through the console and ethernet in about 3 or 4 minutes which isn't bad and their servers must also be set up well for video streaming and game play as I have had no hangs with video previews on my TV or multiplayer (yet) via the console and XBox Live.

It's not the cheapest but its Mac/Lan/XBox friendly and I guess you get what you pay for.

P

:thumbsup:

Been with BT Broadband now 4 years and well pleased.... Maybe not the cheapest, but the overall package includes free internet outside the home with wireless openzone. Available throughout the uk.

Im moving from AOL as its way to costy I was thinking of that £10 a month max I don't have sky TV though and what do you mean by having to reset the router every month for so?

AOL just disconnected us because of a error on the line and said we would have 5 days down time this is day 5 and im still on dial up.

also anyone know if quidco covers key board band at that lovely looking £130.

also sky said my line can only support 6 meg but aol gives me 7.8 meg.I would like the full 16 Meg though.

resetting the router - pull the power lead out and put it back in

ctuk;1593394

resetting the router - pull the power lead out and put it back in

oh right so it has to refresh every now and then or you get disconnected?

If you spoke to sky and someone there told you only 6 meg - i wouldn't listen to them- unfortunately they're not too clued up! - if you know the attenuation on your downstream, you can work out your speed on Sky's LLU equipment. E.g mine is 42db and I connect at approx 7600kbps CONSTANT.
Not everyone has to reboot their router every x weeks / months - only if it hangs - which can be the result of too many errors on the line building up (or something).

If you post your attenuation figure (from inside your current router) I can give you a pretty good estimate of your expected speed on Sky

where can I get my attenuation figure or my db number and my boardband has been cut off so the router is abit useless but should be on soon as this is day 5 of the downtime aol told me about

not sure it will work with you being cut-off, although it is only taking a reading of your phoneline - so it may do!
log into your router - usually 192.168.0.1 and check out your router stats - you will be looking for the downstream attenuation.

jayhab;1595551

not sure it will work with you being cut-off, although it is only taking … not sure it will work with you being cut-off, although it is only taking a reading of your phoneline - so it may do!log into your router - usually 192.168.0.1 and check out your router stats - you will be looking for the downstream attenuation.

sorry for taking so long to get back to you I was hoping the connection would be back up today as with me being cut off it just shows:
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 0 kbps 0 kbps
Line Attenuation 0 db 0 db
Noise Margin 0 db 0 db

Sky Mid - Router Says this:
ADSL Link

Downstream 7456 kbps
Upstream 416 kbps

Line Attenuation

Downstream 46.0 db
Upstream 29.5 db

Noise Margin

Downstream 7.6 db
Upstream 13.0 db

What Speedtest.net says:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/236370925.png

maletwickenham;1604633

sorry for taking so long to get back to you I was hoping the connection … sorry for taking so long to get back to you I was hoping the connection would be back up today as with me being cut off it just shows:ADSL Link Downstream UpstreamConnection Speed 0 kbps 0 kbpsLine Attenuation 0 db 0 dbNoise Margin 0 db 0 db

That's too bad mate - does your router have any lights lit? if they are amber/red then it's correct in saying there's no broadband on the line.
However if the adsl light is lit green - then there's something not quite right!!
When you do get back online - let me know what your stats are - you'd better PM them to me as I only stumbled across your reply - it didn't appear in my UserCP for some reason?

jayhab;1605512

That's too bad mate - does your router have any lights lit? if they are … That's too bad mate - does your router have any lights lit? if they are amber/red then it's correct in saying there's no broadband on the line.However if the adsl light is lit green - then there's something not quite right!!When you do get back online - let me know what your stats are - you'd better PM them to me as I only stumbled across your reply - it didn't appear in my UserCP for some reason?

nah the i light is off it goes orange when its trying then green when its on

AOL is back up after scaring them asking for the Mac code/

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoE 733279 646048 0 1011 14646 15:19:21
LAN 10M/100M 611121 703495 0 14351 1211 15:27:59
WLAN 11M/54M 61188 52992 0 664 127 15:27:48

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 7712 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 31 db 9.5 db
Noise Margin 2147483646 db 30 db

oh yeh is the mac code only valid for a few days?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Weekly game codes giveaway 183722
    2. How much would you pay for this chair?1214
    3. GOT Leaks again614
    4. PS4 Beta Software Version 5710

See more discussions