Expired

What is that Smell ??

Found 26th May 2009
Ok...before the 'funnies' start firing in, can I ask advice? (But good humour always appreciated lol)

I have recently splashed out on buying duck feather duvets and pillows which are really, really comfortable....BUT......

I am sure they all have a vague odour of ...well....plucked duck !! I have looked again for any sign of a lump suggesting the presence of a dead animal but to no avail. Febreze just isnt doing the biz.

Yes.. I have washed the sheets/pillowcases!!
No..I have not done anything in them!!

Anyone got/had the same problem - or am I just sensitive to Duck?
Community Updates
Misc
27 Comments
I'm assuming it's just the smell of the feathers?

If its so yukky you think there might be a dead animal in there , there's something wrong!

Check the washing instructions, see if you can wash it
ClarityofMind;5320536

I'm assuming it's just the smell of the feathers?

bit like wet dog then?? does it go away??
I cant help as I am allergic, but I think you may have oversensitive smell
how recent? they do usually have an odour for a day or two from eing selaed in a bag
sassie;5320551

how recent? they do usually have an odour for a day or two from eing … how recent? they do usually have an odour for a day or two from eing selaed in a bag

That has been 3 weeks sass - I have even had em outside on a nice windy day to 'air' them..
Rockhound;5320547

bit like wet dog then?? does it go away??

It does have quite a natural smell yes, but it shouldn't be unpleasant. I like the smell of our feather duvets and pillows.

If it's as bad as really stinky dog, then perhaps it got damp and a little mouldy somehow?
Rockhound;5320565

That has been 3 weeks sass - I have even had em outside on a nice windy … That has been 3 weeks sass - I have even had em outside on a nice windy day to 'air' them..

i have feather duet and pillows and no smell here, well apart from me, it sounds like they have got damp, do you sweat, sorry that sounds awful but when i washed my duvet until it was bone dry it didnt smell to nice
ClarityofMind;5320566

It does have quite a natural smell yes, but it shouldn't be unpleasant. I … It does have quite a natural smell yes, but it shouldn't be unpleasant. I like the smell of our feather duvets and pillows. If it's as bad as really stinky dog, then perhaps it got damp and a little mouldy somehow?

Nah - it isnt offensive - just a bit 'poultry' like. Just really asking if anyone else thinks theirs smells that way.

I presume that the feathers have all been washed so doing it again wont help. They are deffo not damp.
" am sure they all have a vague odour of ...well....plucked duck"

Which leads me to ask: Whats the difference in the smell of a plucked duck and a regular duck?
Sumfin fishy going on here??

I have feathers that I curl up on - and as far as I know, they don't smell?

xxxx
sassie;5320584

i have feather duet and pillows and no smell here, well apart from me, it … i have feather duet and pillows and no smell here, well apart from me, it sounds like they have got damp, do you sweat, sorry that sounds awful but when i washed my duvet until it was bone dry it didnt smell to nice

Nope - well not that i know of. :oops:
I don't know, we had duck feather pillows before, which were comfortable but can become a bit overly soft.

I don't remember anything about a smell....are you sure you're bathing enough? :giggle:
fireheaven;5320609

Lol - change yer socks Rolf

:-D Ha ha...no socks on in bed hun...

MinstrelMan;5320610

" am sure they all have a vague odour of ...well....plucked duck"Which … " am sure they all have a vague odour of ...well....plucked duck"Which leads me to ask: Whats the difference in the smell of a plucked duck and a regular duck?

Handled many a plucked duck mate - but never had a really good sniff at a live one...:p
wash a pillow, make sre it is bone dry and see if it goes, like i said i have pillows and duvet and apart from maybe two days when knew they smelt a little and deffo when wet/damp
realfriendlyman;5320637

I don't know, we had duck feather pillows before, which were comfortable … I don't know, we had duck feather pillows before, which were comfortable but can become a bit overly soft.I don't remember anything about a smell....are you sure you're bathing enough? :giggle:

Ahh...common denominator - personal hygeine

I may be getting on but I can still reach all the bits that matter - ad sometimes shower twice a day - so I am pretty sure it wont be that
cloudthecat;5320614

Sumfin fishy going on here??xxxx

Nah definately not fish ..just poultry
fireheaven;5320721

Is it the washing machine? Sometimes the water smells funny in the … Is it the washing machine? Sometimes the water smells funny in the machine

Nah not washed the pillows or duvet yet hun - they are brand new - but have washed all the covers.
fireheaven;5320768

Ohh I dunno then, maybe someone was too vigorous with their plucking!

Definately nothing been plucked in the bed :whistling:

Actually - that should be :cry:
MinstrelMan;5320610

" am sure they all have a vague odour of ...well....plucked duck"Which … " am sure they all have a vague odour of ...well....plucked duck"Which leads me to ask: Whats the difference in the smell of a plucked duck and a regular duck?

plum sauce :thumbsup:
possibly one of the ducks is still alive?
I had a set once that smelled really strongly of some sort of alkaline treatment, (like a soapy burning smell) they were so bad I couldn't use them for months. one i bought recently had a slight odour to it, i didn't really think it smelled like duck but then i'm not really sure what a living one would smell like if they were clean. but it was usable and went away after a few days. maybe you should take a pillow back to the shop and ask if it's normal. probably better to check and swap if needed first, before you try running them through the washing machine.
Think I will try washing one of the pillows. The duvet is a split 4 tog/9.5 tog so will prob try splitting and washing one of them too.

I perhaps just have a sensitive nose.

:-(

If I find any livestock I will let you all know..
Duck feather have to be washed many times when manufactured to prevent smells,Sound like poor quality control,Is it too late to return them ?
:-D [SIZE="3"] duck poo duck poo duck poo again![/SIZE]
fireheaven;5321029

Too much information :w00t:Ohh yum

haha, so you want to eat Rockys pillows with plum sauce...have you forgotten that it stinks? :giggle:

It'll probably make you ralf before you even swallow. :lol:
fireheaven;5321119

Duck poo doesn't smell :?

;-)[SIZE="3"]all poo smells....ask christopher robin &tigger![/SIZE]
MinstrelMan;5320610

a plucked duck has a smile on its face... lol

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Merchants