What is the best card to take money out abroad?

19 replies
Found 11th Feb 2011
I have a fairfx anywhere card, which i used to book ryan air flights for cheaper booking fees.

I was planning on using it when i go away, but i see it is going up from a 1.5% charge, to a 1.4% charge, plus £1 after March 2011.

Does anyone know what is best to use now? I used to have a nationwide card but they charge now aswell.

Thanks.

1. Misc
  2. Card
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Card
19 Comments

O2 do a card that is like the equivalent of a top up debit card.

Original Poster

Evil_monkey

Halifax Clarity card

Thats good, be easy to overspend on a credit card though i would expect.

Do you have to be a Halifax customer to apply?

Somebody else's

santander current account is free to take out money abroad i believe, im certain i saw it adertised sumwhere and thought ill bear that in mind, it would be fantastic for anyone travelling

abacus

Somebody else's

Lol

my dad uses claxton or something along the lines of that and he thinks its good. When my dad lost his wallet with it in they were very helpful and allowed him to move it across easily and it was secure. Dont know what else to say the website says a bit

caxtonfxcard.com/
Edited by: "golemsmate" 11th Feb 2011

nationwide only charge outside Europe so depends where your going. We have a house in france and use our nationwide all the time as its the best card.

Banned

take cash

Banned

debs160

nationwide only charge outside Europe so depends where your going. We … nationwide only charge outside Europe so depends where your going. We have a house in france and use our nationwide all the time as its the best card.

they have charged worldwide since november

halifax is the best one now

but surely its santander with free withdrawls abroad? am i missing sumthing about what there promoting?

Original Poster

casparwhite

take cash

Yea, cracking idea that, i mean when you go on holiday in the UK you take piles of cash with you dont you.

Original Poster

Canton one does seem a good buy,

First choice do a pre-pay mastercard which can be topped up by someone back home if you run outa cash while you're away

Banned

joeprosho

but surely its santander with free withdrawls abroad? am i missing … but surely its santander with free withdrawls abroad? am i missing sumthing about what there promoting?

which is?

csiman

which is?

free international withdrawls on their current account see #6, thought it would be great to go travelling with

Banned

joeprosho

free international withdrawls on their current account see #6, thought it … free international withdrawls on their current account see #6, thought it would be great to go travelling with

no fees but a whopping 27.9% interest! Halifax clarity charge 12.9%

Santander Zero has no usage fees worldwide, but only existing Santander customers can apply online (branch only otherwise). You'll pay 27.9% cash withdrawal interest even if you fully repay.

Edited by: "csiman" 12th Feb 2011

csiman

no fees but a whopping 27.9% interest! Halifax clarity charge … no fees but a whopping 27.9% interest! Halifax clarity charge 12.9%Santander Zero has no usage fees worldwide, but only existing Santander customers can apply online (branch only otherwise). You'll pay 27.9% cash withdrawal interest even if you fully repay.

ah CSIMAN my old nemesis :P, very useful info there thanks, thought it was too good to be true, i thought by saying free international transfers/withdrawls or whatever meant they wouldnt charge you anything on take money out abroad.... that interest totally sucks!!! didnt think it worked liek a credit card though so what would there ever be to repay considering its a current account which surely runs off whatever funds you have in there?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. What's you favourite 60s 70s 80s song ?983228
    2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247552
    3. Sony announce £35,000 PlayStation Pro bundle...1115
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769183

See more discussions