Groups

What is the best free satnav app for Android?

I am looking to put this on my note 3 and note. Thanks.

26 Comments

I use google maps/navigation. Works perfectly.

I use Google maps too, used to use waze but gmaps has been very reliable for me.

Also use google maps on my phone and tablet
    Very reliable

HERE Beta. Free offline maps and traffic. It's a lot better than Google maps...

try copilot gps... it has chargable add ons but i havent needed them also allows you to set way points in journey...

mapfactor navigator download maps to your device no data use after that. can download maps all over the world

Waze

Banned

waze

Waze

Original Poster

stuarthanley

I use google maps/navigation. Works perfectly.

i don't think google maps work where there is no data connection?

Original Poster

Dazz285

Waze

does this work where there is no data signal?

I'm using HERE Beta at the moment and it is very very good, I have it set to be 100% offline as to not use any data and downloaded the maps and hi quality voice on WiFi. It's free so definitely check it out.

If that doesn't work for you then NavFree is also 100% offline and free too so that's an option too.

Original Poster

redflash

I'm using HERE Beta at the moment and it is very very good, I have it set … I'm using HERE Beta at the moment and it is very very good, I have it set to be 100% offline as to not use any data and downloaded the maps and hi quality voice on WiFi. It's free so definitely check it out.If that doesn't work for you then NavFree is also 100% offline and free too so that's an option too.

will do.

mutley1

i don't think google maps work where there is no data connection?

I dunno. Never been in a situation where Ive had no data connection but cannot see why it wouldnt as its GPS.

Original Poster

stuarthanley

I dunno. Never been in a situation where Ive had no data connection but … I dunno. Never been in a situation where Ive had no data connection but cannot see why it wouldnt as its GPS.

does GPS not need data connection to work then?

GPS is separate from data although ive just looked it up and Google Maps does use data for downloading maps. Ive just downloaded a different GPS app called NAVFREE which has offline maps and only uses the GPS.

redflash

I'm using HERE Beta at the moment and it is very very good, I have it set … I'm using HERE Beta at the moment and it is very very good, I have it set to be 100% offline as to not use any data and downloaded the maps and hi quality voice on WiFi. It's free so definitely check it out.If that doesn't work for you then NavFree is also 100% offline and free too so that's an option too.

Second that. HERE maps also tells you what your speed is and what the speed limit is as to where you are. It also gives you an audible warning if you are exceeding the speed limit.

Original Poster

Captainbeavus

Second that. HERE maps also tells you what your speed is and what the … Second that. HERE maps also tells you what your speed is and what the speed limit is as to where you are. It also gives you an audible warning if you are exceeding the speed limit.

can you switch the audible warning off as me OH always exceed the speed limit so this would be very annoying. X)

mutley1

can you switch the audible warning off as me OH always exceed the speed … can you switch the audible warning off as me OH always exceed the speed limit so this would be very annoying. X)

No idea but it's a very small 'beep' and I find that very useful.

I have used Navfree in n quite a few places around the world without a data connection. It uses GPS and is quite accurate.

Captainbeavus

Second that. HERE maps also tells you what your speed is and what the … Second that. HERE maps also tells you what your speed is and what the speed limit is as to where you are. It also gives you an audible warning if you are exceeding the speed limit.

Does HERE automatically reroute you if you make a wrong turn if data is off? I always thought data needed to be on if you wanted to be rerouted if you made a wrong turn or something.

EN1GMA

Does HERE automatically reroute you if you make a wrong turn if data is … Does HERE automatically reroute you if you make a wrong turn if data is off? I always thought data needed to be on if you wanted to be rerouted if you made a wrong turn or something.

I've never tried that but I would think it will as it can calculate the initial route offline and it's designed to work offline, it's nothing like Google Maps.

I use copilot - but I paid for that.

When I have been abroad I've used Navfree and it has worked perfectly well.

I've not had much luck with Google maps - it worked to some degree but didn't always download the maps quick enough - I found myself having to pull over every so often to try and download the maps - don't know if they have improved this yet as that was before I purchased copilot.

I mainly use Co Pilot as I got it cheap on a deal but for free 'Here' maps is very good.

Google maps uses data needs to be online. All use the GPS in the phone on or of line. Here for eg can be used underground as no data signal needed.

Navfree is pretty good, but I usually use Google Maps (unless I run out of data allowance)

I like the function on Waze, where you can email people, and they can follow you on a map and see where you are. Thats pretty cool.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread422914434
      2. Well Done Turkey, Education improvement1433
      3. HUKD Satellite Information & IPTV Thread48710945
      4. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047069

See more discussions