what is the best graphic card for this set up?

Hi
Ive just got a new pc which was kit build.
Specs are

Desktop CIT Storm case and gaming keyboard and mice.
Full ATX Biostar H170T motherboard
3x sticks of Corsair Vengeance 12GB DDR3 1600mhz
Intel pentium G4400
XFX power supply 550W
2x 500GB Hard drives
Windows 10 pro

I dont want to spend loads im told to look for amd radeon r9 270x 2gb ? Around 50-80quid whats your thoughs?
Thanks in advance :-)

21 Comments

Type of usage would help..

Original Poster

Im a newbie really would like to play gta and battlefield etc. I brought the pc for photo editing really but would like to try some games :-)

For that price it seems like a decent choice . but i would try to stretch a little bit more to something with 3-4 gb of vram as games are taking more and more of it .
Maby for about the same price you could look at a 7950 boost (i have just replace mine and it was still running pretty much everything at high 1080 and nearly 60fps )as it has 3 gb ram which will also be usefull for photo editing
Edited by: "codnan" 6th Nov 2016

Sell 2 of your 12 Gb memory sticks and put that money towards better graphics card.

Original Poster

Im unsure if ill get on with gaming on pc? As i have xb1 and ps4 only really needed pc for photo edits and steaming gaming would be a bonus but dont want to spend loads on something may not use? But would love to try :-)

Rx470/480 or GTX 1060? The R9 you mention isn't such a great card nowadays.
Edited by: "Snakeyes646" 6th Nov 2016

Pigmejs

Sell 2 of your 12 Gb memory sticks and put that money towards better … Sell 2 of your 12 Gb memory sticks and put that money towards better graphics card.

This is the perfect idea 8gb ram is only needed tbh

Original Poster

Snakeyes646

This is the perfect idea 8gb ram is only needed tbh

Oh right guy put 12gb in but unsure if needed? I think he may of worded wrong there is 3 4gb ram making 12gb.
Would i see a difference if i took one out? My plan is to add another 1tb hdd to there be 2x500 and 1 tb
Also after a free good vpn if anyone can help? Thanks

sme24185

Oh right guy put 12gb in but unsure if needed? I think he may of worded … Oh right guy put 12gb in but unsure if needed? I think he may of worded wrong there is 3 4gb ram making 12gb.Would i see a difference if i took one out? My plan is to add another 1tb hdd to there be 2x500 and 1 tbAlso after a free good vpn if anyone can help? Thanks

You would notice no difference no, 8gb is more than enough ram.

Original Poster

Snakeyes646

You would notice no difference no, 8gb is more than enough ram.

Thanks

Original Poster

The guy i had it off said he played gta on this machine with the graphic card and with onboard card said with r9 you can run on max
Im unsure if to try on the onboard first

sme24185

The guy i had it off said he played gta on this machine with the graphic … The guy i had it off said he played gta on this machine with the graphic card and with onboard card said with r9 you can run on maxIm unsure if to try on the onboard first

Doesn't hurt to try but dedicated is always better, the R9 should be ok for now if your on a budget, just save up for a decent card, the RX 470 is a brilliant card for the price.

Original Poster

Great thanks
How would i no if any graphic card would work? If its pci or any other way?

sme24185

Great thanksHow would i no if any graphic card would work? If its pci or … Great thanksHow would i no if any graphic card would work? If its pci or any other way?

They'd all be compatible, with the possible exception of some of the very power hungry dual GPU cards like the 295 X2 that might exceed the ability of your PSU to power.

A 270X is a reasonable choice for an entry level card. Although it does lack freesync support so if you haven't yet bought a monitor you want to avoid the 270/370 and go either higher or lower (7790/260/260X/360 or 285/380/380X). Don't spend anywhere close to £80 on it though, you can get the brand new RX 460 for £100-110.

There's no need to spend the extra on a 470/480 if you're not sure if you're going to be keeping it.

Original Poster

Seeing as ive just got it ive hooked it upto my panasonic 47" tv. Now all is great but the windows is bigger than the screen if that makes sence things are cut off (they there but have to guess) if this makes sence. Any ideas? So get any of the above higher the better but you say all below 80 mark

a 1060 6gb would be suitable for this setup.

Original Poster

riccom

a 1060 6gb would be suitable for this setup.

How much?

sme24185

How much?

about £240 unless there's a discount I don't know about oO

Should be able to pick up a 2nd hand r9 290 for about £100. Not the best card but good bang for buck.

Where's the SSDs at?

CPU isn't great either

kiish

Where's the SSDs at?CPU isn't great either

​I assume this PC is put together from various budget PC parts and leftover parts from upgrades.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Best student laptop max budget £300?22
    2. Kia Rio 1.0 T-GDI (petrol) vs Rio 1.4 CRDI (diesel)55
    3. tcb what's the longest anyone has waited for a payout?710
    4. Car Leasing Deals (Audi, Golf or Scirocco)34

See more discussions