Groups

What is the best software that will protect my laptop from viruses/trojans etc.?

I am looking for software that protect my laptop from any dangers but doesn't cost too much. Any ideas?

21 Comments

Avast Free

As above.

Avast free works well for me - however it has to be combined with 'safe browsing' and regular OS patching.
    Ie - don't download stuff unless you are sure it is safe / reputable, don't click 'Yes' to everything that pops up, etc.

Original Poster

Thanks, I'll have a look now.

avast and also spybot search and destroy 2.4, you must update and run spybot at least once a month

also try malwarebytes with an anti virus, it picks up all sorts that an Average will miss

Damn predictive text I meant AV not average

Microsoft Security Essentials should be enough unless you're visiting torrent sites...

Banned

dougle34

avast and also spybot search and destroy 2.4, you must update and run … avast and also spybot search and destroy 2.4, you must update and run spybot at least once a month

Avast for sure, not sure about spybot anymore tho- used to be a standard, now I think malwarebytes has clinched it.

Kaspersky and Malwarebytes use both but cost you or u can download for free..

Banned

I have a MacBook, I don't use AV on it, no problems so far anyway.

it's not a software but it is free and easily trained

link below

linky

yes some might down vote me but it's a serious point - common sense really!

Banned

iv got avg.

For all the Avast lovers, how much of a CPU hog is it? I still have nightmares from using McAfee, I wouldn't want to go to anything similarly hoggish (I'm running a i5 4690k @ stock).

The top three are paid for ones, but really are worth it. You can usually get them for under £10 if you know where to look. Sometimes you can even get them free, as follows:

Bitdefender (They always have free promotions every now and again)
    Kaspersky (Free for Barclays customers)
    F-Secure (Free for Virgin Media customers)

Microsoft Security Essentials/Windows Defender is rubbish, and basically should never be used. They regularly come at the bottom of independent lab tests.

Lastly if you have to use a free anti-virus and can't use the above ones I have recommended. Use Panda Antivirus, this is the best free anti-virus software on the market, and always comes out top in tests.

HTH.

I used Avast on a Advent laptop and had to take it off , really slowed the laptop down .
    All my machines have Avira and Malwarebytes and I NEVER get problems .

Malwarebytes, then go to google and search for malwarebytes pro codes --------- get the pro version free!

I would have said avast but it's starting to pee me off a bit now . Quite a lot of adds and if you want it to remove 'dangerous' add ons it forces you to install bing or ask search bar/ set as default search engine (I think those are the two)

But I would still vote for malwarebytes great product

Good suggestions

toshapetriji

I have a MacBook, I don't use AV on it, no problems so far anyway.

Wow you got some jealous window users on you.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767380
      2. What's up with people creating accounts just to ask for UNiDAYS codes?11
      3. word association Game74044540
      4. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force1218

See more discussions