Expired

What is the best tape cassette to usb converter to get?

Found 28th Oct 2014
As title:

I would like to put my old tape packs on to cd / usb sitck etc but would like it to be the best quality sound converted (obviously I don't want to pay like £100 to get that extra sound quality but something close to should be fine).

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
How many tapes are you talking here? Depending on how many, you'd possibly be better off just buying the mp3 version of the albums as they'll likely be cheap enough considering the age of the cassettes. That way all the tracks will be the right length with the right breaks and the tags will be correct.

Just my £0.02
BeerDrinker

How many tapes are you talking here? Depending on how many, you'd … How many tapes are you talking here? Depending on how many, you'd possibly be better off just buying the mp3 version of the albums as they'll likely be cheap enough considering the age of the cassettes. That way all the tracks will be the right length with the right breaks and the tags will be correct.Just my £0.02

Thank you for the quick reply

I have a load of tapes ranging from 4 - 12 packs I think. But they don't release all the all jungle / drum & bass tapes like Helter Skelter, Dreamscape & Hysteria on to mp3 do they?
Edited by: "HotUkDale" 28th Oct 2014
The best way would be to play through a Tape Deck and Amp and direct into computer and record, do you still have any equipment to play them?
Likely2

The best way would be to play through a Tape Deck and Amp and direct into … The best way would be to play through a Tape Deck and Amp and direct into computer and record, do you still have any equipment to play them?

Thanks for the comment the only thing I have left is a Walkman player (Aiwa portable cassette player) which I have to fiddle the headphones for to get sound thrugh both ears so that is not going to record to any high quality.

Any idea what I could get please? Thanks
Personally I'd be visiting some SH shops for a cheap Tape Deck and Amp and just sell on when finished, you could probably pick up both for £40-50 from the likes of Cash Converters or British Heart Foundation or....you'll get the best input and control then and can convert to whatever quality you like....but don't forget....bad sound in....bad sound out.

Likely2

Personally I'd be visiting some SH shops for a cheap Tape Deck and Amp … Personally I'd be visiting some SH shops for a cheap Tape Deck and Amp and just sell on when finished, you could probably pick up both for £40-50 from the likes of Cash Converters or British Heart Foundation or....you'll get the best input and control then and can convert to whatever quality you like....but don't forget....bad sound in....bad sound out.

Thank you for this will have a browse what lead would I need to connect to the PC though? As old tape players wouldn't have USB etc or would I connect via the amp to PC? Thanks
HotUkDale

Thank you for this will have a browse what lead would I need to … Thank you for this will have a browse what lead would I need to connect to the PC though? As old tape players wouldn't have USB etc or would I connect via the amp to PC? Thanks

Just go here:

manual.audacityteam.org/o/m…tml

and see the cable, it's nothing special and in fact for Tape you don't even need an amp, just a Tape Deck, Cable and some free SW.

manual.audacityteam.org/o/m…tml
audacity.sourceforge.net/

Edited by: "Likely2" 28th Oct 2014
Jumpingphil

I have used this in the past month.I can't remember where I got it from … I have used this in the past month.I can't remember where I got it from though, I think I paid between £10 and £20 for it from somewhere like TMART or DEAL EXTREME.

Likely2

Just go … Just go here:http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/how_to_connect_your_equipment.htmland see the cable, it's nothing special and in fact for Tape you don't even need an amp, just a Tape Deck, Cable and some free SW.http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/tutorial_copying_tapes_lps_or_minidiscs_to_cd.htmlhttp://audacity.sourceforge.net/

superb guys thanks so much a few more choices to look into
how about just downloading them off internet? If you own the originals is that still illegal? hardly immoral
esar

This is what you need http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007UWOP3Eor for … This is what you need http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007UWOP3Eor for recording without the pc http://www.mymemory.co.uk/MP3-Players/Generic/Ezcap-Portable-Cassette-Tape-to-Mp3-Converter-with-USB-Port

Whilst the intention may be genuine....the outcome could be disasterous:

Completely devastated as incredibly easy to use but does not play tapes … Completely devastated as incredibly easy to use but does not play tapes correctly whilst capturing data. Using tapes we knew to be in perfect working order (and a few minutes before played faultlessly on another player) were slowed down, distorted and finally damaged by this device. Would not recommend and wish I had listened to the advice of others who said not to buy this at all

And no info about what quality you are getting....even an old Tape Deck will have a much better transport system than all those cheap tape machines and something which is important when dealing with old tapes.

badasschris

how about just downloading them off internet? If you own the originals is … how about just downloading them off internet? If you own the originals is that still illegal? hardly immoral

Where from?....if the OP has tracks that are obscure or old then not available as downloads....the internet isn't the answer to everything....sometimes the old way is the best way as technology isn't always 'progress'.
Likely2

Where from?....if the OP has tracks that are obscure or old then not … Where from?....if the OP has tracks that are obscure or old then not available as downloads....the internet isn't the answer to everything....sometimes the old way is the best way as technology isn't always 'progress'.

Oh I totally agree I would just think it would be much quicker to download anything that is available. If you do it manually you will have to wait how ever long each tape takes to play plus have to figure out how to split tracks and name them correctly, fill in track, album, artist info etc. If it's available online then someone has already done that hard work for you. Anything left over will of course have to be converted the old way
Yes they are old tape packs that are not available to download all of them on the internet just the odd tape at most maybe via YouTube converter.

So will definitely need a tape to usb for all these tapes
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants