Groups

what is the best thing to clean the kettle?

our kettle is full of limescale type syuff, tried boiling fairy luiquid but didnt work?
    thanks

30 Comments

citric acid

the wife

malt vinegar

throw it and get another?

descaler tabs

Banned

white vinegar, neat
    about a half cup or so ( whole bottle is 50p in asda, enough for a few goes)
    put in, put kettle on, get fairly hot but stop way before boil, and leave 30 minutes

Pop it in the washing machine on a wool mix wash :thumbsup:

Half fill it with vinegar, white wine vinegar seems to work best, and top it up with water.
    Boil the kettle and let it stand for a couple of hours (or overnight is best.)
    Rinse thoroughly and it should be clean.

Descaling tablets if you want to spend money or Vinegar if you have any lying about.

Coca Cola (not diet)

Bigmick;8404755

the wife

/thread

Descaling tablets cost about £1 in Asda ... always work wonders.

vinegar works and i also put a stone in the bottom of mine a tip someone gave me and i can happily say no limescale anymore for me

keli;8405002

vinegar works and i also put a stone in the bottom of mine a tip someone … vinegar works and i also put a stone in the bottom of mine a tip someone gave me and i can happily say no limescale anymore for me

A stone/? what sort of stone:?

deb8z;8405028

A stone/? what sort of stone:?

Diamond or sapphire :thumbsup:

don't laugh but get a bottle of coke and pour that in and leave it over night then empty it fill with water and boil then leave till cooled empty and wipe, it really works

vickywil5;8405085

don't laugh but get a bottle of coke and pour that in and leave it over … don't laugh but get a bottle of coke and pour that in and leave it over night then empty it fill with water and boil then leave till cooled empty and wipe, it really works

:w00t:

Original Poster

thank you very much for all the responces, will try the vineger idea if that doesnt work i will buy descaling tablet thingy,
    thank you all again

ollie321;8405261

thank you very much for all the responces, will try the vineger idea if … thank you very much for all the responces, will try the vineger idea if that doesnt work i will buy descaling tablet thingy,thank you all again

I'm still sticking with citric acid - takes 2 mins and the kettle is like new!

Banned

Buy a new one, they are like pence.

Move to Scotland where the water is nice and soft - never had to descale a kettle in my life.

yep - like previous posters i can also say vinegar.

But it stinks the house out though - BAD times!

a product called ATTACK from boots in a orange bottle and one bottle will do at least three goes

Banned

kettle descaler from poundland

csiman;8407970

kettle descaler from poundland

Is that akin to the washing machine descaler which i can't find in any Poundland near me:x

Banned

deb8z;8408402

Is that akin to the washing machine descaler which i can't find in any … Is that akin to the washing machine descaler which i can't find in any Poundland near me:x

yes :thumbsup:

wilkinsons sell both cheap too

I use citric acid - you can buy it from Wilkinsons but you have to ask for it at CS, it's used in winemaking. Also in Boots, costs less than £1 for a small tub & 1 teaspoon will do. But first I scrub the kettle with a dish brush to get rid of loose stuff. Add the citric acid to just boiled water, and reboil the kettle after a few minutes. Don't over fill the kettle it fizzes. Boil & ditch the water a few times afterwards before you make tea. I descale about once a week or so it takes 5 minutes, it's worth it because the water boils quicker than when scaled.
    Also useful for shower heads.

Be VERY careful if using vinegar. When it heats up and reacts with the limescale..... Instant volcano. A bit like mentos in a coke bottle :w00t:

Banned

Shengis;8409433

Be VERY careful if using vinegar. When it heats up and reacts with the … Be VERY careful if using vinegar. When it heats up and reacts with the limescale..... Instant volcano. A bit like mentos in a coke bottle :w00t:

All kitchen flights cancelled then?

vibeone;8409463

All kitchen flights cancelled then?

Aiiii ;-) :lol:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word survey47
      2. Do cheeky drivers annoy you when they park outside your house and leave it …1018
      3. Try buy that Minecraft Xbone Argos deal? 10% online code in your email!1518
      4. It was forty years ago today......617

See more discussions