What is the best way to clean roof tiles, low pressure jet wash?

Posted 24th Dec 2019
We bought a house, the roof tiles are a bit dirty with some moss grown. I was thinking of getting a jet wash and low pressure cleaning it myself as we are tight on budget.

Can I just get a ladder, climb up and start doing it. I know it's easier said then done

Do I need permission, for those who have done it, any tips?

The height and structure of the house is somewhat similar to the picture attached.

Source: Google
3373099.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
32 Comments
No. really good way to get water into the attic timbers and possibly damage the roof.
Ladder and wet roof tiles! what could possibly go wrong!

I think there is a spray, like a disinfectant, you can get and spray the roof with a hose attachment and then over the course of a few weeks everything dies and washes off when it rains.

Cant remember what its called at the moment though.

Dont whatever you do jet wash it though, to much risk of water ingress.
Edited by: "ArcadeAssassin" 24th Dec 2019
If you've just bought the house then why would you need permission to clean them?
ArcadeAssassin24/12/2019 11:37

Ladder and wet roof tiles! what could possibly go wrong! I think …Ladder and wet roof tiles! what could possibly go wrong! I think there is a spray, like a disinfectant, you can get and spray the roof with a hose attachment and then over the course of a few weeks everything dies and washes off when it rains. Cant remember what its called at the moment though.Dont whatever you do jet wash it though, to much risk of water ingress.

Ive seen some videos of people doing it on Youtube so wanted to check if its feasible.
mas9924/12/2019 11:36

No. really good way to get water into the attic timbers and possibly …No. really good way to get water into the attic timbers and possibly damage the roof.

True but how do the professionals do it?
.MUFC.24/12/2019 11:52

I'm sure Jeyes 4-in-1 spray and leave might work well.

Thanks.
Haircut_10024/12/2019 12:22

If you've just bought the house then why would you need permission to …If you've just bought the house then why would you need permission to clean them?

Sorry I meant permission/license from council, etc., Might be sounding a bit since we own the property but want to be safe than sorry.
It's your house owned outright. You don't need permission to clean it. What implanted this ideal that you need permission from someone with or without legal authority who doesn't live in your house how should it be maintained?
mas9924/12/2019 11:36

No. really good way to get water into the attic timbers and possibly …No. really good way to get water into the attic timbers and possibly damage the roof.

Well that's the way professionals do it, start at the top and as long as the water jet is facing towards the gutter then everything will be fine.
Pressure wash and roof don’t go unless your looking for adventure
veedubjai24/12/2019 12:34

It's your house owned outright. You don't need permission to clean it. …It's your house owned outright. You don't need permission to clean it. What implanted this ideal that you need permission from someone with or without legal authority who doesn't live in your house how should it be maintained?

Nothing just had the thought and some curiosty
Adam_Khan1Tc24/12/2019 12:58

Nothing just had the thought and some curiosty

The only thing you need to be concerned off is not to case any damage to your neighbours property. Any damages, just repair replace at your own costs. Give them a bottle of wine or chocolates or flowers for been understanding & helpful. Last thing you want is to annoy your neighbours since you'll be living there for a while. Bonus with good neighbours is when keeping an extra eye on your house if your'e away from undesirable scumbags, call you if your house is on fire, etc.
wait to see what it looks like next summer. Wrong time of year to be cleaning roofs. certainly, not a job for an amateur to be standing 30 feet in the air with a pressure washer balancing on ridge tiles
chocci24/12/2019 13:16

wait to see what it looks like next summer. Wrong time of year to be …wait to see what it looks like next summer. Wrong time of year to be cleaning roofs. certainly, not a job for an amateur to be standing 30 feet in the air with a pressure washer balancing on ridge tiles

Certainly
veedubjai24/12/2019 13:16

The only thing you need to be concerned off is not to case any damage to …The only thing you need to be concerned off is not to case any damage to your neighbours property. Any damages, just repair replace at your own costs. Give them a bottle of wine or chocolates or flowers for been understanding & helpful. Last thing you want is to annoy your neighbours since you'll be living there for a while. Bonus with good neighbours is when keeping an extra eye on your house if your'e away from undesirable scumbags, call you if your house is on fire, etc.

Yep!
The owner of the biggest roof repair companies lives on our estate, Frank Bird, here in Liverpool. He had his roof cleaned a few months back as it was covered in bird poo. I did advise him to install a toilet in the bathroom.
Predikuesi24/12/2019 13:29

The owner of the biggest roof repair companies lives on our estate, Frank …The owner of the biggest roof repair companies lives on our estate, Frank Bird, here in Liverpool. He had his roof cleaned a few months back as it was covered in bird poo. I did advise him to install a toilet in the bathroom.

I don't know if I want to or ?
I have moss on my roof. The house is 60 yrs old. Never gives any problems. Gutter guards fitted. If you clean it and nobody else cleans theirs, yours will look really odd. When I'm in my house I cannot see my roof and luckily I can't see any of my neighbours roofs, But there again I am visually challenged.
Surely you must have far better things to do with your new house?
tardytortoise24/12/2019 14:22

I have moss on my roof. The house is 60 yrs old. Never gives any …I have moss on my roof. The house is 60 yrs old. Never gives any problems. Gutter guards fitted. If you clean it and nobody else cleans theirs, yours will look really odd. When I'm in my house I cannot see my roof and luckily I can't see any of my neighbours roofs, But there again I am visually challenged.Surely you must have far better things to do with your new house?

True will need to comsider this but will not defintely be paying for it to have done!
A cleaner using Benzalkonium chloride aka BAC.
You can get a 5 Litre of Pure BAC for £29.99 delivered.
Some other patio cleaners list under their ingredients that they contain 2 to 3 % BAC.
So if you get the pure stuff you can make a slightly stronger mix possibly 7 to 10%.
ArcadeAssassin24/12/2019 11:37

Ladder and wet roof tiles! what could possibly go wrong! I think …Ladder and wet roof tiles! what could possibly go wrong! I think there is a spray, like a disinfectant, you can get and spray the roof with a hose attachment and then over the course of a few weeks everything dies and washes off when it rains. Cant remember what its called at the moment though.Dont whatever you do jet wash it though, to much risk of water ingress.

Don't waste your time, effort or money cleaning your roof
DAMNOME24/12/2019 15:47

Don't waste your time, effort or money cleaning your roof

I am having double thoughts on it now as well reading some of the comments. If you dont mind me asking, what makes you say this?
Adam_Khan1Tc24/12/2019 16:35

I am having double thoughts on it now as well reading some of the …I am having double thoughts on it now as well reading some of the comments. If you dont mind me asking, what makes you say this?

If its not damaged or leaking why risk a sound roof for a bit of discolouration or moss, that will inevitably return.

Get up into the attic and check the rafters and roof underlay / felt for any water ingress or condensation with a torch, if there isn't any the tiles are doing their job.

Save your money for all the other multitude of repairs that will crop up throughout your home ownership, or buy some more loft insulation, or board the attic out for storage instead of cleaning the tiles.
Edited by: "DAMNOME" 24th Dec 2019
DAMNOME24/12/2019 17:33

If its not damaged or leaking why risk a sound roof for a bit of …If its not damaged or leaking why risk a sound roof for a bit of discolouration or moss, that will inevitably return.Get up into the attic and check the rafters and roof underlay / felt for any water ingress or condensation with a torch, if there isn't any the tiles are doing their job. Save your money for all the other multitude of repairs that will crop up throughout your home ownership, or buy some more loft insulation, or board the attic out for storage instead of cleaning the tiles.

True
I'm a builder and done it before it's a hard graft for not all that great affect. You need a roof ladder often called a ridge ladder but we used two so we can place the jet wash in it and use the other one for climbing to the ridge then you need very long hoses good pressure outside tap is better and doing it is quite a ballake you start from the top never letting the water backtrack upwards until it's done. Personally dont bother or let someone else do it. By the time you got a decent set of ladders then ridge ladder then very long hose ect its possibly cheaper to get someone in.
chocci24/12/2019 13:16

wait to see what it looks like next summer. Wrong time of year to be …wait to see what it looks like next summer. Wrong time of year to be cleaning roofs. certainly, not a job for an amateur to be standing 30 feet in the air with a pressure washer balancing on ridge tiles

Why spoil it, just sit back and watch - better than having a TV.
When i was a teenager, my uncle had me clean all his tiles with a wire brush, took ages, gave me blisters and I'd never do it again.
If i was a few years older i would of told him to clean his own tiles
Mark_Hickman25/12/2019 20:27

When i was a teenager, my uncle had me clean all his tiles with a wire …When i was a teenager, my uncle had me clean all his tiles with a wire brush, took ages, gave me blisters and I'd never do it again.If i was a few years older i would of told him to clean his own tiles

Lol
The default choice should always be to have plants and other greenery rather than bare areas.

Unless it's causing you a problem then leave it be.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions