What is the correct way to cancel and refund on Ebay if the buyer asks you to?

Found 12th Apr 2015
I am sure I keep getting a strike on my seller record whenever I cancel and refund the buyer after they ask me to.

I sell a lot on Ebay and from time to time I get people deciding that they do not want the item just minutes after purchasing and paying.

I tend to cancel the order stating there was a 'problem with address/buyer asked to cancel' but I am sure at times this is showing as 'transactions you cancelled' in my seller performance dashboard which affects my Top Rated seller status if I go above 2%.

Am I doing this correct or is there another way to do this?
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
The Buyer needs to submit a Cancellation Request from the options available on their Order. The submission is sent to you, and you action accordingly. Thats the best way to cancel because its tracked and automated.
I really didnt know that, iv always been cancelling them with 'problem with address/buyer asked to cancel'
Are you sure it effects our seller ratings doing it this way?
Original Poster
b11

The Buyer needs to submit a Cancellation Request from the options … The Buyer needs to submit a Cancellation Request from the options available on their Order. The submission is sent to you, and you action accordingly. Thats the best way to cancel because its tracked and automated.

Thanks. I will from now on tell customers that I cannot cancel the order unless they put in an authorised request through the system. I wondered why my seller performance kept getting hit when I felt I did nothing wrong.
Original Poster
Sandy1012

I really didnt know that, iv always been cancelling them with 'problem … I really didnt know that, iv always been cancelling them with 'problem with address/buyer asked to cancel' Are you sure it effects our seller ratings doing it this way?

Well I have 2 marks on my ratings for this month and I have only cancelled any orders using this method.
As long as you select the buyer requested cancellation it doesn't count as a defect,make sure you don't select item was out of stock because that does count.
NEtech

Well I have 2 marks on my ratings for this month and I have only … Well I have 2 marks on my ratings for this month and I have only cancelled any orders using this method.

Have you downloaded reports to see what transactions have had problems?
Original Poster
deb8z

Have you downloaded reports to see what transactions have had problems?

No never done that.

I did phone Ebay about 4 weeks ago and got them removed from my record as it was not my fault.

At first they said there was nothing on my record for cancellations, but I insisted they were there and after a while they found them and said they would remove them.

But it has happened again this month so I really have no idea where they are coming from. I cancelled a few auctions I had running due to the batch being faulty but that was 3 days into a 7 day auction for 5 items so that can't be the problem.

I will look into downloading the report see if that gives more info.
Original Poster
The report only shows up until the 9th March so will have to wait for the next update.
You will be able to see which transactions have defects as it tells you the item number so you can see if it's the ones you've cancelled at the buyers request,BUT that's another Ebay glitch if they are showing as defects because you sending a cancellation at the buyers request is definitely not in the list for things counting as defects.
NEtech

The report only shows up until the 9th March so will have to wait for the … The report only shows up until the 9th March so will have to wait for the next update.

Try clicking on expand to see the last transactions showing defects.
Original Poster
How strange, it is now showing as 0 transactions cancelled and am in Top Rated Seller status again. Must have been a glitch.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants