What is the 'correct' way to store eggs?

Found 17th Nov 2009
At the supermarket they're stored on the shelves, but then we store them in the fridge at home. Most people I know store their beloved eggs in the fridge. What is the 'correct' way to store eggs (if any) and why?

1. Misc
  2. Egg
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Egg
28 Comments

I don't know what the correct way is but I store mine in the fridge - my nan stores hers in a cupboard

No idea but i keep em in the fridge too

Banned

I store mine in the fallopian tube

They should be at room temp so not in the fridge.

Why do fridges have the egg shelves in them then?

Thats where i keep mine

Refrigerate eggs at 45 degrees Fahrenheit or less when they are received. Keep eggs under refrigeration until used.
Keep a maximum of two weeks supply of eggs, and rotate your stock so that the oldest ones are used first.

]Department of Health New York State

They're best cooked from room temp...

fridge once home. (says so on some packs)

Why aren’t eggs kept in a fridge in supermarkets?
For optimum freshness and food safety, eggs should be kept at a constant temperature below 20C. Most modern supermarkets are kept below 20C so it is not necessary for retailers to store them in a fridge. This also prevents significant temperature fluctuations (for example eggs being moved from a fridge to a hot car after purchase).
Where should eggs be stored?
For optimum freshness and food safety, eggs should be kept at a constant temperature below 20C. To avoid the typical temperature fluctuations in a domestic kitchen, we recommend that eggs are stored in their box in the fridge.
That's according to the Egg Marketing Board!! egginfo.co.uk/faqs

I keep mine in the fridge.

Banned

basically, eggs need to be stored below about 25°C so shelves are fine except in high summer

other eggciting tips:-

[LIST=1]
[*]When buying from the farmer's market where eggs have no stamped expiration date, hold the egg against a strong source of light. Look for the air bubble at the rounded end of the egg. The smaller the air bubble, the fresher the egg (almost invisible in newly-laid eggs).
[*]Put the egg in a cup of cold water. If it sinks and remains still, it's fresh; if it tilts or floats, it's going bad.[/LIST]

i used to keep them in the fridge, but we get them from a farm now and they say not too

Banned

ive been told off by chefs before for keeping them in the fridge but thats where they are staying:)

if it dont kill you it makes you stronger

eggs should not be stored in the fridge as their shells are permeable, they will absorb any strong smells from the fridge, also you should not buy eggs that are cracked as bacteria can get through the shells, stores are also breaking the law if the sell them

fskinner;6917994

eggs should not be stored in the fridge as their shells are permeable, … eggs should not be stored in the fridge as their shells are permeable, they will absorb any strong smells from the fridge, also you should not buy eggs that are cracked as bacteria can get through the shells, stores are also breaking the law if the sell them

+1 thats what i always been told

Jumpingphil;6917990

There is something wrong with you then if that is where you store them.I … There is something wrong with you then if that is where you store them.I thought they were only in there relatively briefly on their way from the ovaries to the uterus.:thumbsup:

+1

Ours are stored on the kitchen side, with the tip at the bottom.

Afaik, eggs last longer not stored in fridge and something to do with the air bubble where stored tip side down...

I always thought eggs were best kept on the shelf in the kitchen?

Thinking back to being a child my mother had them in the larder.

Not known anyone who keeps eggs in the fridge !

Jumpingphil;6918336

Tomorrow I will cover geography and then on Thursday, I will do a brief … Tomorrow I will cover geography and then on Thursday, I will do a brief piece on history.Rounding up on Friday with some maths.:giggle:

and giving the definitive low-down on 'Which came first .. the chicken or the egg?' :giggle:

Banned

There is something wrong with you then if that is where you store them.I … There is something wrong with you then if that is where you store them.I thought they were only in there relatively briefly on their way from the ovaries to the uterus.

Did I say I was keeping them there for a long time?

No, I was going for humour not facts....

Banned

mine kept on side too, never kept them in fridge

Jumpingphil;6918336

Tomorrow I will cover geography and then on Thursday, I will do a brief … Tomorrow I will cover geography and then on Thursday, I will do a brief piece on history.Rounding up on Friday with some maths.:giggle:

:giggle:

Fridge to store, but get them out a few hours to so to get to room temp to use. IMO

I don't keep mine in fridge,I like to cook them from room temperature,specially if mixing them into something like yorkshire puddings etc.

fridge, but if Im gonna boil them I take em out to get to room temp or they crack when placed in boiling water

Never store them in the fridge, always at room temperature in my ceramic hen. Plus only buy organic farm eggs

No good reason for keeping them in a fridge. No health risks. Years ago, most fridges came with egg shaped spaces in the doors.....why

Don't see them that often now. The box they come in the ideal storage container

OK folks here's the Low Low.

I used to work in the egg industry (when i say work in the egg industry i mean i picked up free range eggs as my irst job, about 15,000+ a day)

Egg shell is porous and will therefore absorb odours/flavours from things kept in the fridge.
The should ideally be kept Chilled (a few degrees below room temperature) but not cold and stored POINT DOWN.

You should also cook with eggs at room temperature.

kyalion;6917879

Refrigerate eggs at 45 degrees Fahrenheit or less when they are received. … Refrigerate eggs at 45 degrees Fahrenheit or less when they are received. Keep eggs under refrigeration until used. Keep a maximum of two weeks supply of eggs, and rotate your stock so that the oldest ones are used first. ]Department of Health New York State

Only our US cousins would need advice not to retain the eggs in a refrigerated environment after consumption!

Separated by a common language once again.

BFN,

fp.
Post a comment
@
    Text