What is the current thinking on Radiator valves? TRV or manual?

Found 15th Jan
I have 2 dead ones in 2 bedrooms (1 stuck on, 1 stuck off), so am looking to replace them. Do I go with another 2 TRVs or just put in a plain valve and try to manually balance the house?

Am not sure of the current preference! Looking online, the advice seems to be mostly pro TRVs (easy, adjustable, good for the environment) but with some very strong anti arguments too (they stick / break, don't do anything a well balanced system would do anyway).

Any plumbers or anyone else in the know about these?

Thanks!
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
I'm not a plumber (so I'm sure someone will correct me) but I think you can still balance your radiators with TRVs, just on the other side which doesn't have the TRV.
Edited by: "EdinburghShop85" 15th Jan
TRVs. By good quality rather than cheap. You can balance the system across your rooms far more easily.

You could even look at the tech control available with them.
Original Poster
ccnp8 m ago

You could even look at the tech control available with them.

Would love to buy a set of fully wifi'd up ones, but am a bit short of funds this month! (acutally strike this month, am always short of funds!)
I haven’t really had much success with Trv’s ultimately the radiator will hit the maximum temperature but over a longer length of time depending on the openness of the valve.
Keep dabbling room by room and still haven’t successfully mastered the optimum no. The valves should be set to per room
Take the control heads off and give the protruding pin on the valve a gentle tap (or a few) until it moves - this will free the valve stem and they may (should) work again.
Just remembered to open up in summer when it's above 20c for months on end so they don't get stuck in the off position..
Van197343 m ago

Take the control heads off and give the protruding pin on the valve a …Take the control heads off and give the protruding pin on the valve a gentle tap (or a few) until it moves - this will free the valve stem and they may (should) work again.

I need to do this with a couple of mine every year!
i would vote TRV. they are not that great but better than manual and they don't cost that much.
Trv. You can almost treat them as manual valves. Just make sure you give them some in out action once in a while. Otherwise they get all stiff with no motion
Original Poster
Thanks all, it seems like TRVs are taking the lead slightly
I have Trvs and normal valves and can't tell any difference between them at all except the price. They both basically do i the same thing don't they?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions